Prana - Zion vs. First Lite Corrugate Guide pants

DanimalW

WKR
I have one kuiu attack, original pranas, and some Eddie Bauer Guide Pro. The attacks are way too warm for me for September hunts, unless there’s a pretty snappy cold front coming through. Pranas are awesome, but I won’t buy those unless they go back to the original fabric and design. The EB fit me well, stretch well, and are the lightest fabric of the bunch. Had the stitching unravel on my back wallet pocket after about 2 months (right after Amazons return policy), so I reached out to EB about it. Their CS really sucked, so buy them on sale, and don’t expect them to stand behind their quality like FL or Kuiu. Otherwise their nice enough pants for me.

I've had both for years and I've tried the Eddie Bauer guide pants as well.

I loved my corrugate guide pants until I tried the prana. Now I don't think I could bring myself to pay twice as much for the FL. I do think the pockets are better on the FL corrugate. I still usually wear the FL when I'm hunting.

I wear a lot of these type of pants for work and I've had three pairs of the Eddie Bauer zippers break so I'm done spending money on them. Anything is better then the FL obsidian. Those have to be the least durable hunting pants I've ever tried.

Fowl Play

WKR
I wear the Zions year round for hunting, work pants, etc. much better overall pant for me. Now these are the originals… haven’t tried the 2.0’s yet. Will be extremely bummed if they ruined my favorite pant.

Another thought is right now outdoor research has their Ferrosi pant on clearance sale right now for 40 bucks. Great warm weather pair of pants that I’ve been enjoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
Note that Prana makes Zions (1.0 and 2.0) in regular and slim/straight cut. I own both and they fit pretty differently. 1.0s and definitely better than the 2.0s but the 2.0s are still good pants.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Do the slim fit fit more like the corrugates?, I got 2 pair on sail and love them but I also love my attacks

OP
edewey

edewey

FNG
Do the slim fit fit more like the corrugates?, I got 2 pair on sail and love them but I also love my attacks

I have the slim pranas and they fit me more snuggly than the corrugates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak for the Prana but I have had the Corrugate Guides for 7 years or so. I wear them 95% of hunts - probably 30 days/year. They have been bomb proof for me. The stretch is fantastic.

Only downside in my opinion is that a nylon pant holds more water than a polyester.
but poly holds more stink.

The OG Prana's are pretty much my favorite outdoors pants ever. You won't win any fashion shows wearing them, but they are essentially indestructible. I've taken some decent spills in them to no effect and had buddies take severe enough falls to bleed underneath with no visible damage to the pants. While I wish they were a little more fitted, I tried the slim fits and they were not for me. To get the waist to fit, they were basically painted on and an approximation to skinny jeans would be an understatement.

I like the originals enough that I'm actively trying to find some on eBay.

PMcGee

WKR
I really like my Zions and hope Prana sees the light and corrects the 2.0s before I wear my old ones out. I really like the Attacks but to me they are more mid to late season pants. I overheat in them with a pack on or doing much exertion. I think the Kutana is the more comparable pant to the zion. And I like it a lot as well. But again, twice as expensive as the Zion.

I thought I read somewhere Prana was going back to the original but maybe I was dreaming. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dobermann

WKR
I thought I read somewhere Prana was going back to the original but maybe I was dreaming. Lol
Anyone else heard this?

I'd only just seen the drama about the 2.0s in this thread ... made me wish I'd bought even more of the 1.0s when they'd regularly came up on sale over the years!

SDHNTR

WKR
The OG Prana's are pretty much my favorite outdoors pants ever. You won't win any fashion shows wearing them, but they are essentially indestructible. I've taken some decent spills in them to no effect and had buddies take severe enough falls to bleed underneath with no visible damage to the pants. While I wish they were a little more fitted, I tried the slim fits and they were not for me. To get the waist to fit, they were basically painted on and an approximation to skinny jeans would be an understatement.

I like the originals enough that I'm actively trying to find some on eBay.
Haha. I actually like the slim fit ones much better. The original ones were MC Hammer pants!

I would go zions, the fit for me is better. The old material was better new fit is nicer. I’ve destroyed too many first lite pants and many haven’t been warrantied, that chaps me with the price tag

Haha. I actually like the slim fit ones much better. The original ones were MC Hammer pants!
The originals are baggy MC Hammer pants and the slim fit are spandex leggings. I've got bigger legs so I have to go with MC Hammer. I wish there was a happy medium.

Weldor

WKR
How do they hold up to Catclaw and pucker brush? Been wanitng to try some out but heard that both of them snag alot?

2-Stix

WKR
I run Kuiu Katana Stretch & Attacks for hunting, Zion for hiking. Parana sold out to Columbia years ago back when I was climbing a lot. They are geared as a climbing pant and are stretchy and hold up pretty well.

Last edited:
I know this may not be a popular opinion here, but the Browning Pahvant Pro pants may fall in the cost effective hunting pant category. I just ordered a couple pairs for $70 and they are pretty close to Kuiu Attacks. I’ve had their previous pants (hell’s canyon backcountry speed) pants and they’re still going strong after 5 years in the field.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I now have both versions of the Zions and the FL Guide pants. The new set of Zions just showed up today as a matter of fact. I prefer the Prana’s over the FL for anything before November here in VA, and I’ll probably wear the new Zions to hunt elk this year. The cut of the Prana’s around my ankles/ boots just feels better in my opinion.