Prarie Dogs

lavazhole

FNG
Would love to do a Prarie dog hunt in the spring....on the fence of paying a guide or just trying to head out and find some towns.

Any thoughts or tips?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I think that there can be some good access on private land with just a small trespass fee. I would start by putting together a budget and then decide what state and area you want to try for. Then start calling the local game wardens, chamber of commerce, and even hunting/shooting organizations in the area. If you go guided, you might think of adding a spring turkey hunt if that is of any interest.

jmez

WKR
Likely going you have to pay a tresspass fee to shoot them on any private land.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
There are public land areas but in SD most all of them will what are termed walk in areas. You have to park on the road and walk in, no driving. You would also have to figure out which of those areas contained dogs. Game wardens west of the MO river may be able to help you with that? Also, there is a season on them on all public land in SD, not sure when it is but would be listed on the GF&P website. I know it is closed in the spring when they have little ones.

I think most trespass fees run in the $100-$150 day range.

KurtR

WKR
There are public land areas but in SD most all of them will what are termed walk in areas. You have to park on the road and walk in, no driving. You would also have to figure out which of those areas contained dogs. Game wardens west of the MO river may be able to help you with that? Also, there is a season on them on all public land in SD, not sure when it is but would be listed on the GF&P website. I know it is closed in the spring when they have little ones.

I think most trespass fees run in the $100-$150 day range.

the season is year round except for this area.

Season:
Year-round - except in the Conata Basin and several other areas within the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands. Please contact the US Forest Service for additional information regarding specific closure locations at 605.279.2125.

Up in my area if you go around and ask you can shoot them disease infested pests. I like to go out on warm winter days when there is snow

Or you can buy a tribal tag and then hunt on tribal land Standing Rock and Cheyenne River both have a little different rules but have lots of dogs.

thunder basin used to be good back in the day. combination blm, private, and one more but having a senior moment at the moment. Newcastle or Wright are your base towns. Newcastle has lots of motels wright had one, that was going to be converted to condos. Newcastle lots of check points here too like blm office weed and pest office as you can tell been awhile since was there, ten plus years, but the shooting used to be phenomenal Newcastle used to have some nice mule deer that owned the town, roamed it freely even the courthouse lawn

jmez

WKR
Thanks for the clarification Kurt. About 10 years ago they changed the seasons on public ground so that none of the "babies" would get shot. Must have done away with that.

wytx

WKR
No need to pay in Wyoming. Plenty on public land and ranchers will not charge for shooting them out here. Most will have their cattle rounded up soon and off the pastures so that will not be an issue with the ranchers.

Likely going you have to pay a tresspass fee to shoot them on any private land.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

That's surprising. In Montana it seems that many landowners will let you on for free if you ask. They want prairie dogs gone and are happy to have the help.

CX5Ranch

WKR
I've been a dozen times to wyoming. Never paid a dime

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ND_muley

Lil-Rokslider
OnX map has a prarie dog layer you can purchase for $10. Overlay that with public land...

Was just going to mention the same thing. I have no experience with it yet as there are plenty of them on public land where I hunt muleys but it is an interesting feature on an already awesome app.