Prayer for Florida

Hello everyone! Been a member a few years and met a lot of great people on here. If we haven’t crossed paths yet I hope we do in the future.

Two weeks ago I was chasing bugling elk and now we are in the path of Ian.

We are in Fort Myers riding out the hurricane. Would appreciate prayers as I have two little ones and also for our neighbors and great state! We are trusting in God’s protection. Thanks everyone!

-Kyle

Last edited:

Sherman

WKR
Prayers heading your way. I work for a major utility in Colorado and may be heading your way for mutual aid to help restore power. Stay away from and be vigilant of downed power lines. Please be kind to the lineman out there. They will do everything they can to get the lights on safely.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Prayers heading your way. I work for a major utility in Colorado and may be heading your way for mutual aid to help restore power. Stay away from and be vigilant of downed power lines. Please be kind to the lineman out there. They will do everything they can to get the lights on safely.
You got it thank you for helping us out!!!

jmez

WKR
They are buried. You can't bury transformers and sub stations.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Curious why they don’t bury the majority of the utility wires in a place like Florida? Seems it’d be less trouble but I know nothing on the subject…

I'm sure a bunch of em are. The ones that aren't - cost and crossing agreements. Think of all the shit under ground in right of ways they'd have to cross if buried.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Complex question, that in the end, comes down to $$$$. Ug utities still have plenty of outages, especially in areas of moisture and high heat. In the area I work in, we see as many or more ug outages than we do o/h, not counting storms. Storms, no doutedbly affect o/h more. Burying distribution lines is one thing, burying sub- transmission and transmission lines is another. In the end tho, it all comes back to $$$.

Sherman

WKR
Curious why they don’t bury the majority of the utility wires in a place like Florida? Seems it’d be less trouble but I know nothing on the subject…
Underground facilities are close to 3x more expensive than overhead.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Thank you everyone for the prayers and support. We are blessed and all well. Some family had house and car issues but everyone we know is healthy so we are so thankful. It’s devastating to see the community like this but there is going to be a lot of good that comes from this too I believe. The lineman are incredible we got power after 5 days and the last hurricane took over 9. Again thank you for the prayers and support.

-Kyle

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Thank you again for your service! Very impressed with all the help we have down here

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Hoooweeee did we get smoked. So many friends and business associates lost everything. It’s so sad to see so much devastation.
My family is lucky to have not incurred any damage and we are all safe. We will help those that need it and re build. You can bet on that.