Pre-hunt planning anxiety already

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone else experience this?

Planning a western big game hunt can be a bit overwhelming between the flight plans, truck rental, getting off of work, e-scouting a unit, access issues, etc. Im just off of a successful DIY out of state hunt in Utah solo, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself in that sense... problem is, I have roped 3 other individuals into my hunting plans for 2023. Spent 4 hours on the phone and got us all Mule deer tags for unit 39. Idaho was a bit of a spur of the moment decision as we were looking towards MT for 2023. Prices and OTC looked better of ID so we gave it a try and sure enough got some tags. I was not able to do much research into specific units...just picked a spot with tags available and a large area of public land. Now I feel like I have the responsibility of providing a quality hunting experience with the friends and family I am hunting with. Extra added pressure. No real reason for this post other than to share my feelings and hopefully alleviate some of the stress. Can anyone else relate?

Planning a western big game hunt can be a bit overwhelming between the flight plans, truck rental, getting off of work, e-scouting a unit, access issues, etc. Im just off of a successful DIY out of state hunt in Utah solo, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself in that sense... problem is, I have roped 3 other individuals into my hunting plans for 2023. Spent 4 hours on the phone and got us all Mule deer tags for unit 39. Idaho was a bit of a spur of the moment decision as we were looking towards MT for 2023. Prices and OTC looked better of ID so we gave it a try and sure enough got some tags. I was not able to do much research into specific units...just picked a spot with tags available and a large area of public land. Now I feel like I have the responsibility of providing a quality hunting experience with the friends and family I am hunting with. Extra added pressure. No real reason for this post other than to share my feelings and hopefully alleviate some of the stress. Can anyone else relate?

Better pray the snow slows down, it’s looking like another 2016-17esque winter for Idaho this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do this every year. Try to research and plan for a group of friends/family. Then hope I haven’t scheduled us all for a trip to desolation ridge.

Oh well. If they could do better they would have done it themselves.

It happens to me all the time. I plan pretty much all of the hunts for my dad and kids and I always get stressed. The reality is the just want to have a good time and enjoy the outdoors. I put the pressure on to make it a great trip.

If they dont all kill really good bucks you are an absolute failure.
I would suggest keeping the stress level elevated.
The higher your blood pressure the more your heart works...its basically free cardio.
That way you can sit on the couch all anxious and stressed and get a workout in at the same time.
All the top influencers are doing this now.

Formulate a backup plan where you can steal bucks from other hunters for them to tag if they are unsuccessful in the field.

Good luck and have fun!

In all seriousness...I've done planning for dozens of hunts involving other people...they will appreciate it no matter the results of the hunt. Do not stress out about anything...and delegate simple things if you can trust them. That way they are "involved" and feel like they are helping.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Haha! I’m sure we are gonna have fun either way. The planning and logistics aren’t what bothers me so much, I kind of have buyers remorse on the unit I selected. It was kind of spur of the moment throwing my hat in Idaho unit 39. I’ve wanted to visit Boise and those adjacent mountains for a possible relocation in the future so that’s where I selected. Had I known it was gonna be a 4 person trip I would have researched the units more thoroughly and found one with less traffic, more of a hidden gem. We were all planning MT, but I was gonna try and pick up an Idaho OTC for myself in case MT fell thru. Little did I know I could get all 4 of us a tag over the phone.

Either way, the second guessing and “damn I wish I researched units more” has waned… focus has turned to researching the gear I’m looking to upgrade and add to the arsenal. I’m glad we all have tags… get to see a buddy I haven’t seen in a few years and hopefully put my brother and SIL each onto their first big game animal. They are all versed outdoorsman (and woman) so that part is easy thankfully.