Pre hunt recovery

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a hard time not working out harder and continuing to lose weight all the way up to hunt. However I know it's better to try and spend some time recovering.
What's your pre hunt routine look like? When do you start?
I'm at about 4 weeks out and thinking light cardio and medium weights, staying active but not pushing myself necessarily.

amassi

WKR
No need to dial anything back if your nutrition and exercise is on point, if your overtraining than that's another issue altogether. If I do anything different I'll go to the chiropractor if I have any nagging symptoms I cant fix and spend an extra 20-30 minutes a day doing mobility.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yah I am with amassi... I will push harder the few weeks leading up. If you are eating right you can recover on the drive out where you are hunting.

Poser

WKR
4 weeks a long time to taper. Obviously you want to avoid injury at all costs, but you should be able to continue to progress right up to the a few days before your departure. Fitness doesn’t tend to be very static and “peaking” is a window of seldom more than a few days.

P Carter

WKR
Agreed. Maybe shorten your workouts a tad in the week leading up to the hunt, focus on sleep, stretch out a bit more. I'll probably cut a mile or so from my runs and cut out my weekly muscular endurance exercise. But it's not like hunting is a discrete event during which you need to be at peak performance the entire time.

OP
H

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly looking to avoid injury. With a 4 year old my recovery is not always great lol. Ran 7 miles saturday, kayaked 4 sunday, and my sleep in between was okay at best. Barely reaching 8 hours. So just thinking that if I cant pull the sleep lever too much, that I need to manipulate the other levers available. I've been known to hurt my calf/ Achilles and I've been doing bill starr rehab for my right arm from straining when gym reopened. I've been focusing on mobility/yoga, have tight hips and my back freaked on me a couple weeks ago squatting. After stretching and all and squatting lighter it's been fine but just trying to avoid getting hurt lol.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I have been thinking about the same thing. My year-round workout I enjoy most is road cycling. I notice a difference when I come back from 4-5 days off and I’m riding with my buddies who didn’t take a break. When I am fresh I perform noticeably better than them.

In the overall scheme of things I think it’s a good idea to take 2-3 days off your exercise routine before you head out for multi-day effort. That’s just me though with my 40-year-old body and moderate workout routine.

Edit: when I’m a couple weeks out I am way more guarded against injuries and illness. I don’t do higher risk stuff like mountain biking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: