Pre-Rut Archery Tactics?

All,

My buddy and I have done extensive scouting and research into a DIY public land hunt for mule deer in the OK Panhandle. After speaking with multiple biologists and walking the area this past weekend (even bumping a small buck), we are very confident that we are right where we need to be.

The land is comprised of sand hills covered in plum thickets and sagebrush, and we believe it will produce some great spot-and-stalk oppotunities. Elevation change is roughly 250-300 feet (STEEP for western OK, lol) between low spots and hills.

We are planning to hit the area in late October/Early November (Pre-Rut phase) and are looking for tips and strategies people use to bring success on an archery hunt. Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
MM

ndbuck09

WKR
If it was me, I would try to find travel corridors/funnels from the topography where you think bucks might be cruising and early does might be getting pushed. Things like saddles in a ridge with some cover or a spot where two steep slopes come together that will funnel them. You can then glass from spots like that where there's the chance of something coming by plus you can may spot something else.

Last edited:
OP
MedicineMan
If it was me, I would try to find travel corridors/funnels from the topography where you think bucks might be cruising and early does might be getting pushed. Things like saddles in a ridge with some cover or a spot where two steep slopes come together that will funnel them. You can then glass from spots like that where there's the chance of something coming by plus you can may spot something else.
Thanks for the tips!