Pre rut feeding sources

With last year being my first time in backcountry on OTC archery I realized my “e scouting” was NOT up to par. Got skunked out but it was enough to hook me. This year applied for points to start building, and have the unit I want to OTC again this year. Thinking archery opening for 7-10 days. During the pre rut action what are the main food sources that I should focus on? The spot I’m looking into has an abundance of water sources but just want to figure out the food source fully. Thanks and I’m sorry if this is a repeated question asked

ElkNut1

WKR
Sir, in Sept feed is so plentiful it really doesn't matter where the groceries are, it could be anywhere, this is not Whitetail food plots. Rely on glassing open country type terrain & Bugling in the dark timber areas that cannot be glassed. This is how you find elk to hunt! Do not over think it!

ElkNut

OP
B
Sir, in Sept feed is so plentiful it really doesn't matter where the groceries are, it could be anywhere, this is not Whitetail food plots. Rely on glassing open country type terrain & Bugling in the dark timber areas that cannot be glassed. This is how you find elk to hunt! Do not over think it!

ElkNut

Ok thanks seems simple enough then

Swede

WKR
To add to Elknut's advise, I will add that even attractants like salt or Deer Cane don't help. As a tree stand hunter I have tried to spice up my stand locations with something that would encourage elk to come more often. After trying for years, I have come to the conclusion that you need to depend on the natural features (trails, water, saddles) that bring in elk. Save your money and forget the salt, etc.

wytx

WKR
If you're talking Colorado OTC then any baiting is illegal anyway.
Elk are grazers, look for good grass.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Typically burns or clear cuts offer the best vegetation growth during the early season. Cows will tend to sit in more open areas and feed on the heavy vegetation during September. Glassing burns during the beginning of the season is usually an easy way to find elk. If you can find where the cows are feeding during the rut you will find bulls! Once hunting pressure picks up the elk will usually head for the heavy timber. After that, listening for bugles will probably be your best option for locating bulls. If you are hunting more dry areas than sitting over wallows during the rut can be a good mid-day option. Good luck!