Pre-season Scares

sneaky

"DADDY"
With only 3 weeks until my first Elk hunt I'm very worried about something going wrong with my equipment. Had a small fray on my month old d-loop, so went ahead and put a new one today.
Few years back, I got to my deer camp one Thursday evening, got my bow out to practice and noticed one of the limbs had a splinter that popped up. With no back up and a three day weekend ahead I pulled it off, drew back very carefully and fired off a couple arrows with no issue. Shot a nice 8 point whitetail the next evening with it. the next week brought it into the bow shop and they warrantied the limbs.
If you have a frayed d loop after a month, you better check the jaws on your release for a burr. Get some d loop material and some polishing compound and work your release jaws over really good with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Two years ago my buddy broke his ankle 6 weeks before the hunt. They were putting a side board on a dump truck at his work, 2x12x16 green oak rough cut. Almost had it in place when it started to twist and landed on the side of his ankle. He killed his first bull on Sep 25th that I called in for him. One of my favorite hunts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
I just got over walking pneumonia. But after some rest, I'm a ok.

Last September I dislocated my knee cap (subluxation). That sucked.

New2elk

FNG
I work at a metal fabrication/machine shop. I'm just waiting for a something stupid to happen smashed/cut hand or finger,drop steele on a foot. I find myself calculating every move I make to prevent some sort of stupid injury. 14 work days left to make it through

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
2016 getting a bedroom set up at my parents so my kids could stay with them while I hunt dropped a chunk of the bed on my foot it cut 3/4 through my big toe then fell down the stairs ripping the chunk off 4 days before I left wasn’t a lot of hiking done that year but I killed my biggest buck to date

I am writing this one from the hospital right now as I recover from heart surgery after a stroke. Missing the entire season. Just happy this crap happen here and not solo in the backcountry. Hospital wifi blocks rokslide so I turn it off as I plot my return to the woods!

Get well soon man!!

BigPine

FNG
I’m pretty sure I have some form of skin cancer above my eye . I have Dr. appointment, after my Colorado Hunt

A couple years ago a friend and I drove 26 hr from WI to AZ for January Mule Deer. Spent the night in ABQ, and the next morning went to a shop to shoot, where my buddy blew a limb on his Mathews. No replacement parts in town, and he is 5'3" and left handed to boot, so we couldn't even find a different brand new that fit him. After trying a couple different shops, He had almost resigned to buying a cheap recurve to hunt with, when one of the workers came out of the back with a used Alpine(?). He offered to RENT him the bow for a week or three for $50, and just said drop it off one his way back through town. a quick change over of sights and rest and we were back on the road. 1177875 days later he shoots a 175" buck, returns the bow, a photo and big tip, and heads back home.

njdoxie

WKR
This thread is downright depressing.
And funny too.
How about a scare so real it actually cancels your hunt? In 2017 wife breaks ankle in Sept, bye bye CO 2nd rifle. Poof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
So here is my story, and my hunting buddies.....My hunting buddy is a roofer. 3 weeks ago he fell 14 ft off a roof. Busted pelvis in 2 places, back compression, booth heels are crushed, right ankle busted, and the leg above the ankle is crushed. Took 22 screws and 2 sideplates to put his leg back together.

This morning I just found out I have 3 tears in my left calf and a small blood clot to go with it......

OP
F

foss

FNG
Reading most of these made me feel pretty good about my situation. On a MUCH MUCH better note, I owe a huge thanks to the local shop - Archery Country. They tracked down the part, expedited shipping, turned it around in less than a day after receiving it, and by 4:30 today I had a message that it was ready to be picked up. Feels amazing to have my bow back in my hands and another few days to keep shooting and stay focused.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Plug for vortex customer service.
2015 I dropped my 10x50s that I run around my neck getting out of my truck on a Monday night before Saturday deer opener. Fell about 5 feet onto pavement and knocked the alignment way off. Didn't have backups.
Called, explained the situation. Wrote a note as I was told to and overnighted them. Watched my tracking number like a hawk. Binos were at Vortex's facility for less than 6 hours before I had a tracking number again and they were being overnighted back to me. Had them back by Thursday good as new!

Love the Vortex warrant and service!

Ebayollis

FNG
Glad your able to find parts...that's why I have a back up bow....well 6 back up bows...lol