Pre-season Scares

foss

FNG
Last night while shooting I had a cam fail on my bow. It's an 11 year old Bowtech General that was only made for 1 or 2 years, so I was not optimistic about new replacement parts being available. Bowtech customer service and local shops were all closed by the time this happened. I scoured ebay and various forums hoping to find used parts with no luck. I'm supposed to be leaving for Colorado next week. Needless to say, panic started to set in. I've been planning this trip since last year. Remodeling, selling, buying a new house, and moving already threw a wrench into plans last fall and delayed the trip a year. It was starting to feel like this hunt would never happen. I was at the archery shop this morning when they opened. They have never seem a failure like this before. As luck would have it, parts are available, and they're doing rush shipment. It looks like if everything comes together smoothly that I'll make this hunt after all.

Does anyone else have a story of something that almost or did cost them a hunt?

cgasner1

WKR
ac3deb33dd1c8a35b98312f3cfdd67c6.jpg
My limb blew couple weeks ago we are building a house right now wife was a little pist when I hit the archery shop the next morning and left with a realm sr6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

foss

FNG
I’d buy a new bow before I’d miss a hunt because of a broken one.

Ultimately, I'm pretty sure I would have broke down and bought a replacement even though it's not really in the budget. Having to get a new bow picked out, setup, dialed in, and comfortable in a week would have been a huge blow to my confidence.

Brendan

WKR
Ultimately, I'm pretty sure I would have broke down and bought a replacement even though it's not really in the budget. Having to get a new bow picked out, setup, dialed in, and comfortable in a week would have been a huge blow to my confidence.
That's why you ALWAYS have a backup bow. It can be used, and doesn't need to be latest and greatest, but what happens if you get to camp and cut a string on a broadhead? Slip and dent a cam?

My story, had a Hoyt pretty much explode a month before my hunt in 2017 I think... I'd just sold my backup so ended up walking into a shop and buying a new bow. Hoyt made it back in time and became the backup.

Sitting in camp on the opener and my uncle draws his bow and snaps a cable. Its a bummer but better than an injury right before a hunt.

dmc

FNG
Brother decided to help someone move a couple weeks before elk season. Broke his ankle moving the freezer. Got to hunt the last week in a boot I think. Still called me in some bulls actually. Ha!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I literally get some sort of injury or have something happen every single year in August, right before archery season, or early into a hunt. This year it was my lower back that completely went out two weeks ago today. I'm still day to day, but I'll be out there somewhere in September chasing elk. I broke my wrist the week before the season in 2017 and even had a NM tag. I was still planning on going until my daughter got her late notice elk tag, so that became the priority and I turned in my NM tag. Broke a thumb, detached a retina and had surgery, kidney stones, hernia's.........had two limbs splinter a week before. Stuff happens........deal with it and move forward.......that's all you can do.

The only one that kept me home was the detached retina and surgery. But I still made it out the last weekend and shot a 6x6 ten minutes from the truck at 1:10pm after setting up camp and eating lunch. That one was a gift.

FLAK

WKR
I missed a CO Elk hunt back in the day due to a broken bow.
This was before the internet (yes, I'm old) and it took a few
weeks to get a new pair of limbs ordered and installed.
It was a Proline Ltd. ,,,,limb just popped on me about 3 days
before I was to leave.

CMF

WKR
With only 3 weeks until my first Elk hunt I'm very worried about something going wrong with my equipment. Had a small fray on my month old d-loop, so went ahead and put a new one today.
Few years back, I got to my deer camp one Thursday evening, got my bow out to practice and noticed one of the limbs had a splinter that popped up. With no back up and a three day weekend ahead I pulled it off, drew back very carefully and fired off a couple arrows with no issue. Shot a nice 8 point whitetail the next evening with it. the next week brought it into the bow shop and they warrantied the limbs.

njdoxie

WKR
I literally get some sort of injury or have something happen every single year in August, right before archery season, or early into a hunt.

Durn, you’re snakebit and yet that doesn’t seem to hold u back.

Smashed a pinky toe 2 days before leaving 3 years ago, black and blue and nasty. Wife asked if I was going to get x-rays. I said nope, if it's broke they will say I shouldn't go hunting! Ignorance is bliss or painful hiking but at least I was there!

Contracted giardia just before elk season. Boy I was sick. Had to wait until dark to head for camp because I had about 7 seconds warning before my bowels let loose. That happened about every 40 miles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Durn, you’re snakebit and yet that doesn’t seem to hold u back.

Ya..........and I forgot about 2010 when I completely lost all the hearing in my right ear 10 days before the season started. Still not sure how or why that happened, but 10 days of high dose steroids got it back in the normal range. But the steroids are probably why I broke my thumb a few days into that season too.

hobbes

WKR
Injured my right shoulder last year during season and just days before my vacation in mid-september. I was driving steel T posts for a fence. I don't recommend that anytime near elk season without the assistance of hydraulics. Had to skip some days because drawing my bow was questionable.

A few elk seasons ago, the day before the opener, I won mega millions, drew a CA desert bighorn tag, had a threesome with the supermodel twins down the street and then went out to a CO OTC unit the next day and harvested a 447” bull six yards from the trailhead (it actually tipped over into the bed of my truck).

Don’t worry about negative things that could happen to you. Focus on the positive like I did and maybe you will have a similar season this fall!!

The first two years I came out to hunt I had scares. The first year (2016) I was going to come out we got 30 something inches of rain and it flooded my house. We ended up having 14 inches of water in the house 3 weeks before I was supposed to leave. My wife was pregnant and we had a 1 year old. It was not looking good for the elk hunt I had been working towards for a year. My wife is an absolute saint and encouraged me to go anyway. I got the family moved into a camper and headed West. I called an elk in for my buddy the first morning we hunted and he shot him.

The second year I elked hunted someone broke into my house and stole my bow. I was pretty upset about it and didn't know what I was going to do. My wife ended up finding it listed on Craigslist and we turned that info over to the police who tracked it down to the person who bought it over 100 miles away. I had it returned to me 2 weeks before season. I also had a friend who generously offered for me to use his brand new set up if I hadn't had my bow returned by the police.

Now I live in CO and will be heading out for the first time with a resident license. My buddies from back East can't make it for opening weekend so I'm going to hunt solo for the first time. The moral of the story to me is that there will always be a reason not to go. Adversity is going to be present both on and off the mountain.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk