Pre trip inspection cost me a set of tires....

Wrench

WKR
Last weekend I backed into my travel trailer to bail for a trip and I was hooked up checking tire pressures when I spotted a weather checked crack on the rim line of my 3 year old tires with 20ish k miles on them.

Not really interested in killing anyone I unhooked and called it a bust.

Good news is cooper bought them back and bfg ko2's are now shod on the old girl for almost half price.

When they pulled the old ones down they found a second tire that was bubbling inside.

Perhaps coopers weren't made for jumping excursions.

def90

WKR
I've owned Jeep Wranglers for 30+ years and every once in a while someone sells me on something other that BFG T/As/KOs and I always regret it afterwards.

Finch

WKR
Last weekend I backed into my travel trailer to bail for a trip and I was hooked up checking tire pressures when I spotted a weather checked crack on the rim line of my 3 year old tires with 20ish k miles on them.

Good news is cooper bought them back and bfg ko2's are now shod on the old girl for almost half price.

When they pulled the old ones down they found a second tire that was bubbling inside.

Which coopers were they?

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
To be fair, mine were on a diesel excursion on 35s and tows 11k often and bombed forest service roads like the baja 500.

Finch

WKR
To be fair, mine were on a diesel excursion on 35s and tows 11k often and bombed forest service roads like the baja 500.
I looked my DOT code up but no recall. My tires are still looking fine at 25K miles. Thanks for the heads up though.

elkguide

WKR
Loved my Cooper AT3s on my 2016 2500HD Denali, for the first 15,000 miles. Great in both snow and mud and quiet on the road. After that, the dealership tried re-balanced them every 250 miles and still couldn't keep the vibrations from coming back. I paid to replace 2 of them and finally solved the problem.......
I sold the truck.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
Loved my Cooper AT3s on my 2016 2500HD Denali, for the first 15,000 miles. Great in both snow and mud and quiet on the road. After that, the dealership tried re-balanced them every 250 miles and still couldn't keep the vibrations from coming back. I paid to replace 2 of them and finally solved the problem.......
I sold the truck.
Watch this video. I run these on all my heavy tires....and they work killer.

Even cheap ironman mud tires stay round and smooth.

Well done on the pre trip! I just replaced a set of Cooper ST pros that only had 22k on them. Same bead weather cracks. I replaced them with a set of Mickey Thompson Bajas.

I was going through the camper prior to a 2500 mile trip a few weeks ago and found some light weather checking inside the treads, caught it early enough to get new skins. Trip went pretty smooth except for one Falken getting a hole punched in the face. Got lucky and it was fixable. Making sure your spare is aired up and all the hardware for lowering and changing it are up to par pays dividends.

Attachments

• 7E1F8625-67BE-4948-9E85-AF0A8B6EE982.jpeg
    7E1F8625-67BE-4948-9E85-AF0A8B6EE982.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 33

id_jon

WKR
I was going through the camper prior to a 2500 mile trip a few weeks ago and found some light weather checking inside the treads, caught it early enough to get new skins. Trip went pretty smooth except for one Falken getting a hole punched in the face. Got lucky and it was fixable. Making sure your spare is aired up and all the hardware for lowering and changing it are up to par pays dividends.
My spare mount cable was rusted in place when I got a flat a couple years ago and I had to drop the whole assembly, that sucked.

def90

WKR
They wore well, but weather checked on the bead line and one blew a bubble in the sidewall.

I've pretty much decided all tires suck today.

I tried some Pirelli Scorpions one time because the shop recommended them. The tires themselves traction wise were great but after about a year and a half I just happened to look at them one day and the sidewalls were all cracked and split. If I hadn't noticed I can't imagine that they would have lasted more than a few more weeks.

Back the BFG's.

matthewmt

WKR
K02s were great for me ice and all. Gonna try some Falken wild peaks this go around I think.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My STT pro's are good, other than a little alignment issue, but they are load range e's on a jeep, so no heavy loads. Like you I think all tires suck nowadays.

MattB

WKR
What a bummer. I used to run BFG's AT TKO's but now happily run the same Cooper AT3's you replaced. the BFG's were a good tire but got really loud as they wore. Never towed and don't run them hard off road though.

Last edited:
I've had bubbled sidewalls on multiple Cooper at3s. If you enjoy deafening tire noise get the Cooper stt pros.

Lately I've been running Falken Wildpeaks. Decent wear and great off road performance in snow and sand.