Predator calling in the East?

BLJ

WKR
Looking to get started. For rifle I’ll be shooting a 223 bolt. I have an 11-87 12 gauge for the shotgun. I’m set on a rifle load. I need suggestions on an available?( I know) shotgun load.
Also need suggestions on an affordable ( I know again) E-caller. Also good suggestions on mouth calls. E-caller budget would be under $200.
Also looking for suggestions on set up, time of day, things to look for, things to avoid. Anything Eastern predators. Cyotes, bobcats, fox. Let me know. Thanks.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I recently dove in myself. I live down on the Gulf and apparently calling
in anything is tough.
Going to try and go back up in the hills where I'm from and give it a try
before it warms up.
Currently shooting a 22mag (50gr. Federals) and an 870 with #2 Hevi Shot.
Wish I could offer advice, but I suck at it.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
@FLATHEAD. Looks like we’ll both learn from this thread.
Have any shot anything with the hevi shot?

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Well then tell me what you’re doing and I won’t do that. 😁

FLATHEAD

WKR
That would use up all the bandwidth.
Cause I must be doing everything wrong.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I always try to setup with my scent blowing from the edge of cover blowing into a corn field or some sort of open area. I generally use a mouth call as I am cheap and don't own an e caller. I like making sets at first light it seems coyote that haven't found anything to eat all night are quick to respond. I have never used a shotgun either an AR or my .220 swift get the job done. Coyote are in my opinion much smarter than deer they will be trying to make it to your scent as far away as possible. The excitement comes when you see one slinking toward your scent at 300 yards and you can only see the top half of them because they are using the rolling hill to hide behind. A set of shooting sticks are something you should have as well.

Predator calls are similar to turkey calls. All of them will call some coyotes but none of them will call all coyotes especially in the east in the daytime. If your state allows it, you will have better luck at night. Pick and E call in your budget and get out there and learn. Setup where you have a decent view of your downwind. That's where most of the coyotes are going to wind up if you don't kill them first. Most bobcats don't pay a lot of attention to the wind, they are easier to setup on. Fox are dumb compared to the other two and can be called in much easier with any squeaky mouse distress type sound. All three respond better at night, but all three can be called and killed in the daylight with practice and patience. As for things to avoid, it's the couch. Get off the computer and the couch and get to calling. If you call in one predator for 15 sets you are doing ok. You will get better if you learn from your mistakes quickly. If you call in one for every 5 sets, you got a pretty good handle on it.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
You're right about getting off the couch. I think that every spot is different. So it seems like hard advice is difficult to get. I agree on the down wind and being able to see. For sure.
It looks like the Patriot and the Inferno are in my price range. One better than the other for the money?

Choosing between those 2, I would choose the inferno. I would buy it from a Foxpro dealer and I think,, don't quote me on that, that you can select which 70 sounds you want. Try All Predator Calls and ask them if that is an option on that call.
If you could step up to the Fusion at on sale price of $300, you get a much better remote hand held unit. The TX1000 remote.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
All Predator Calls is where i was looking at them. I think it was $30 for 50 sounds of my choosing. That would be what i would do for the money.
What makes the Fusion remote that much better?

FLATHEAD

WKR
Made another go at it the past few days while the weather is nice and cool.
Today, called in the obligatory flock of crows. 15 minutes in a big red tail hawk shows up.
At around 30 minutes a smallish hawk (sharp shin???) comes in outta nowhere and
attacks my decoy. Makes 4 or 5 runs at it but couldnt figure out how to kill it.

Still havent seen anything with fur. Maybe tomorrow.

The TX1000 is considered by most top of the line in predator call remotes. It's just really well designed and easy tom use. That's not the only difference in the Fusion and Inferno, the Fusion offers additional features in the call as well.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Following from North Ga- how do you get off the couch and practice without educating them? Is there a "safe" way to climb the learning curve without frustratingly educating every dog on the parcels you can hunt?

How far away are you guys setting up from your call?

How far do down wind do you think they will circle? 50yds? 100+ yards?

Are you upwind or down wind of your call?

How are you using terrain to your advantage?

Big timber? Pine plantations? Clear cuts? Briar tickets? Mountain country? Hill country? Flat land?