Predator hunting for soccer moms

When friends and acquaintances first started asking what I would be getting up to on the weekend and receiving a reply of "bear hunting," I quickly realized that the majority of people in my city have no idea anybody even eats bear. I had started hunting just as the rug was pulled out from under us here in BC regarding the grizzly hunt and although there wasn't any form of provincial vote on the matter I don't think that would have helped much with our current public perception of bear hunting in most urban areas. I had recently started putting together a video of my first year hunting with my son and quickly decided to try and take the opportunity to explain both the edibility and sustainability of bear hunting in BC in a way that non hunters might be able to digest.

I tend to avoid Facebook like the plague these days but I posted it on there and the response was surprising, almost none of my friends hunt but it seemed to be quite well received by people I never would have expected to take interest. I also used it as a bit of a springboard to explain the need for predator management and the hypocrisy of someone eating beef but having an issue with Canada Goose using coyote fur or typing angry comments on hunting photos/videos from their own leather couch.

Either way, I had fun getting a bit of practice filming/editing and creating memories for my son and I, we're also planning on working on a short film about the nuance of bear hunting and predator management over the spring...feel free to share this, you never know who's mind you might change. I also included a link in the video description to a write up I did about our successful hunt and photos if you're interested in some more context. Hope everyone is getting excited for spring bear, just got a new string and cables put on the bow and will be spending the next few weeks experimenting with a couple different arrow builds to boost my FOC and try to get my fixed blade broadheads flying as true as possible.

mlob1one

WKR
What a great video. Congrats on the bear and getting some quality meat. Passing on this ability to harvest, respect, consume, and truly appreciate wildlife is a right too few people do not exercise or appreciate.

Communing with nature is so fulfilling.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
BackcountryBloodline
Great video!

It looks like you're using an Alps Commander pack. I'm running that bag on a MOLLE II frame and straps.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/budget-back-pack-build.70719/

Looks like an awesome little project and definitely something to consider, I'm assuming packing meat + camp out you would just strap the meat between the frame and pack like an exo style frame? Thanks for the tip, the lack of load lifters has definitely been a setback here and there and the frame isn't the most comfortable, love the seperate meat shelf though.

Looks like an awesome little project and definitely something to consider, I'm assuming packing meat + camp out you would just strap the meat between the frame and pack like an exo style frame? Thanks for the tip, the lack of load lifters has definitely been a setback here and there and the frame isn't the most comfortable, love the seperate meat shelf though.
I haven't packed meat and camp at the same time yet, but that is the plan.