Predator setup

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at setting up a predator rig for Ohio hunting. Coyotes for the most part.
I have a Sako 222 with Leopoldo Rifleman scope that I took as payment for a side job, but it’s almost too nice to cart around the woods!
I guess I could sell it to fund this. But it’s a rather unique rifle, not sure on the market?

Questions:
1. Would an AR be less accurate than a bolt gun of similar caliber, 223 or 22-250?
2. Anything wrong with setting up a 6.5, 25-06, or .243 that I could also maybe use for other hunting?
3. Night optics. I’m brand new to this, really know nothing. Can you buy the night vision and attach it to a normal scope? Do you need thermal too? Or is that an extra option?

Thanks Roksliders!

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
To answer some of your questions, most people use AR style rifles and/or shotguns. I hunt coyotes in WI and use an AR or my 6.5 bolt gun that I hunt everything else with. Any caliber will work. Smaller the better for saving the pelts. With the 6.5 I use non expanding target rounds. Can't answer the night sights. I just use the scopes I have and hunt while its light. Just get an electronic call and get out there and learn and have fun.

satchamo

WKR
Personally - I’d get an AR.

I’ve killed my share of coyotes with bolt guns, shotguns and an AR. I now use my AR exclusively and occasionally take a shotgun when the cover calls for it. I hunt in Indiana and IL so I’m similar terrain to you as well. We don’t get those long shots you see on tv. I’ve never killed or shot at one last 200 yards. Most of the time they’re sub 100. So ultimate precision isn’t necessary- not that it hurts.

The primary advantage of an AR over a bolt gun is the quick follow up shot. I call in pairs quite often and when you’re alone an AR makes doubling up an actual possibility. Also if you miss it’s a quick follow up.

I built an ar relatively cheaply a few years ago and spent money where it mattered - barrel snd trigger. Then I gave it a rattle can job. I’ve killed 10 with it in the last 2 years which is a lot for the Midwest.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at setting up a predator rig for Ohio hunting. Coyotes for the most part.
I have a Sako 222 with Leopoldo Rifleman scope that I took as payment for a side job, but it’s almost too nice to cart around the woods!
I guess I could sell it to fund this. But it’s a rather unique rifle, not sure on the market?

Questions:
1. Would an AR be less accurate than a bolt gun of similar caliber, 223 or 22-250?
2. Anything wrong with setting up a 6.5, 25-06, or .243 that I could also maybe use for other hunting?
3. Night optics. I’m brand new to this, really know nothing. Can you buy the night vision and attach it to a normal scope? Do you need thermal too? Or is that an extra option?

Thanks Roksliders!
I have a 6.5 Grendel that I am waiting to be delivered. This Ar-15 build has a Krieger barrel, so no issues with accuracy.

Something like this seems like a good fit for what you are looking for. I plan to shoot hogs and deer with it using a Zeiss V6 3-18x50. And I may add a Pulsar Krypton FXG50 thermal front attachment for hunting at night.

I used a thermal scope mounted on an AR-15 (.223) last December and took a couple of hogs in South TX...I am hooked on hunting hogs at night.

Any cartridge works. If you want to save hides I would stick with something that is .224 caliber.

Thermal is better than NV for hunting coyotes. It’s not cheap though. The cheapest thermal I would buy is probably the R 35 from Bering. Then you also need a scanner. It sucks trying to use just one thermal for night hunting. You want a nicer scanner since you will be looking through it most of the time. The main thing the weapon sight has to do is hold zero.

Spoonbill

WKR

Questions:

Thanks Roksliders!
In the current market, ive seen 222 ammo available for less than 223. That having been said, your sako can always be rebarrelled to 223 or 204 ruger if you wanted to go that route at some point.

personally I would keep it an use it. Sako makes a nice rifle.

bowmanch

FNG
do some research on the sako rifle before starting to use it.

Older Sako rifles have a rep for the extractors going to crap and drop in replacement parts are impossible to find.

Friend of the family bought a Sako .222 with a known broken extractor. Figured it would have been an easy fix, it was not. Two different gun smiths wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Took three hours of internet researching to find the issue and track down a fix. Then another day to find a gun smith that would attempt the fix outlined on the internet.

The gun is a shooter now.

I use an AR for my yote gun, and I splurged for thermal. You can do it reasonably well with a day optic and a clip on. Keep in mind that the good thermal (>$5k) is going to work much better than night vision