Preference on dies

Clarence

WKR
What are preferences on dies and seaters these days? Just got a Forester coax, and need to get some dies for it. Wanted to check in and see if there is a go to, or something to stay away from. Loading for hunting, and practice. No real long range shooting (practice out to 5 or 600 max) Just want to load quality ammo. I was going to go with Forester dies, but just because they looked pretty slick. My only experience has been with older Lee and Lyman, and figured there are some slicker options. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

If you have a coax press get the Forster dies. They are of good quality and they come with the correct die rings for the coax press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EdP

WKR
I like Hornady dies because they are good quality and you can buy one micrometer seat adjuster and use it in all the die sets.

Standard RCBS FL sizers and seaters have worked for me since the '70s.
I'm not a benchrester. I load for hunting rifles, and whenever I've missed (that one time;)), it's always been on me and not the ammo.

Last edited:
Any of the known die makers will make good, accurate hunting and practice ammo. I’ve used mostly RCBS because of the quality and price point. I use some Lee dies for pistols where all I want is reliable and accurate enough. Or for old military rifles I don’t load for often and want as insurance against ammo for them one day becoming unobtainable. I think getting more accuracy than what the standard die offerings are capable of becomes a combination of tools, components, and techniques (reloading and shooting) far beyond just the dies. I just bought a Redding type-s bushing die and Forester micrometer seating die for my 7mm-08. Mainly for the fun of trying them out and to see if they do anything over stand dies to provide any extra accuracy with all other factors remaining the same. I guess to prove out what I just said above:)

I’ll say as far as quality of build, I’ve only seen issues with my Lee dies. Some have shown surface rust that needed to be cleaned up. A new set of .380 dies came in such bad condition, rust and filth, I would have sent them back if not out of the return policy window. I was able to clean them up to be usable. But it left a bad impression on me. Maybe they were a returned item MidwayUSA didn’t look over well enough before selling them again. Not sure.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
I have used RCBS, really like forester seater but shifted to Redding master hunter only beacause I like the micrometer seater and was curious. All others I have zero complaints - Best advice I can add, get a Lee universal decapping die if you load any kind of volume. You can get a micro seater from Forester and it has great reputation.

OP
Clarence

Clarence

WKR
Thanks guys for all of the replies. I will get forester for what I can, but they have been difficult to find in some calibers.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

6gt

FNG
If you have the money then short action customs. They make the best dies I've ever used. One downside is there mostly focused on the prs crowd so there aren't much dies for the bigger cartridges.

OutdoorAg

WKR
SAC The Seating Die

Covers all of what I load for.

Would love to see a magnum offering, but I can live without it

I'm along the KISS theory. If it has greater accuracy potential I'll bump up to nicer dies, if it's just for plinking or handgun ammo I'll go with cheaper stuff. I always watch for used or marked down stuff when I'm not in a rush.