Preference points are worthless if you don't use them - WY Trip Recap

rolocasi

FNG
Awesome Story and Pics! Thank you for sharing!! What camera where you using, the pics came out great!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really enjoyed your writeup. Congratulations on a terrific trip

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Travis907

WKR
Awesome story and photos! You definitely can tell a good story, get to writing these for the magazines or start a podcast! Sounds like an you had an amazing trip with friends. I loved the father and son photo. That’s what hunting is truly about! Congrats

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I brought my Fuji x100v on this trip to keep bulk and weight down due to flying. It's a great camera for keeping on you to document whatever is going on.
Thanks for sharing. Really cool to read and visualize everything with these great photos. That Fuji x100v is impressive.....how long have you been shooting with that?

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent post! Well done. I would certainly encourage you to shop your elk article around based on the high quality of writing in this post.

Rich M

WKR
Reads like a fun antelope hunt.

For the newbies - this is what antelope hunting is like, if you are in a high traffic unit, there will be people everywhere.

You might make inquiry with somebody more in the know about antelope skulls. I shot one 20 years ago and the horns came off within a year, and the euro mount was a no go. They are not like deer or elk antlers. There must be a trick to properly preserving them.

OP
charliebravo77

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
You might make inquiry with somebody more in the know about antelope skulls. I shot one 20 years ago and the horns came off within a year, and the euro mount was a no go. They are not like deer or elk antlers. There must be a trick to properly preserving them.
I've done a few euro mounts of pronghorn already. The trick is once you get the horn sheaths off you need to pack the sheaths with borax or salt to get them dried out, remove the fleshy bits from the horn bones and then use epoxy or something to seal up the inside of the sheaths. I packed them with bondo and then stuck plastic over the bones, mounted the sheaths then let it cure so that I could take the sheaths off of the bone.

I've done a few euro mounts of pronghorn already. The trick is once you get the horn sheaths off you need to pack the sheaths with borax or salt to get them dried out, remove the fleshy bits from the horn bones and then use epoxy or something to seal up the inside of the sheaths. I packed them with bondo and then stuck plastic over the bones, mounted the sheaths then let it cure so that I could take the sheaths off of the bone.

Glad you’re more educated than me on the subject. I was severely disappointed when mine fell apart. Again, great story.