Preference Points

IAboy92

FNG
Can someone help me understand preference points a little more. I am planning my first out of state hunt this year. It should be a hunt that I can draw with zero preference points, but in looking to the future I know that I want to start building as many points as possible. For now, the two states I want to hone in on are Colorado and Wyoming. The animals I want to hunt in each state are as follows:

Colorado
Elk
Deer
Bear

Wyoming
Elk
Deer
Antelope
Bear
Grizz

I would also like to hunt sheep, goat, moose at some point but I am not even sure if a non-res can hunt these in either of these states. My question to you is, what are the costs of applying for these hunts? What do I pay up front? What do I get back if I am unsuccessful? Like I said, I am applying for an elk tag in Wyoming this year that I am planning on drawing with zero points. Is there a certain way I need to apply for this in order to be able to draw the tag and collect the point?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in the area, and I know I am asking for a lot of information but I am finding this draw system to be very confusing! Especially when every state is different. I did subscribe to both Eastman's hunting and bow hunting journals, but I am not finding many articles about draw odds and preference points. I guess that leads me to my last question. Do I need to build separate points for bow vs rifle?

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all of your help!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let’s say a state has a quota for deer. That number is 5. For those 5 tags, 10 people apply. Obviously only 5 people can hunt so the state gives 5 guys the tags. The following year the same quota is set. The same 5 guys that applied last year and didn’t get drawn apply for the tag along with 5 other guys. Still there is 10 people applying but the guys that applied the previous year will earn the tag as this is their second time applying for the tag. The other 5 will have to wait.

That’s it in a nut shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe back the train up a bit. You say you are applying for a Wyoming elk tag you plan to draw with zero points.

Does that mean you have a hunt picked out, you understand the draw odds, and you understand the tag types, ect......?
Or does that mean you don't really know but "want" to apply and draw an elk tag in Wyoming this year?

Generally speaking you cant both draw a tag and gain a point, but there are scenarios where you can.

Where are you coming from, and what weapon type do you want to hunt with?

Opps, why was I talking about Montana........ Why are you targeting Colorado and Wyoming?

Can someone help me understand preference points a little more. I am planning my first out of state hunt this year. It should be a hunt that I can draw with zero preference points, but in looking to the future I know that I want to start building as many points as possible. For now, the two states I want to hone in on are Colorado and Wyoming. The animals I want to hunt in each state are as follows:

Colorado
Elk
Deer
Bear

Wyoming
Elk
Deer
Antelope
Bear
Grizz

I would also like to hunt sheep, goat, moose at some point but I am not even sure if a non-res can hunt these in either of these states. My question to you is, what are the costs of applying for these hunts? What do I pay up front? What do I get back if I am unsuccessful? Like I said, I am applying for an elk tag in Wyoming this year that I am planning on drawing with zero points. Is there a certain way I need to apply for this in order to be able to draw the tag and collect the point?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in the area, and I know I am asking for a lot of information but I am finding this draw system to be very confusing! Especially when every state is different. I did subscribe to both Eastman's hunting and bow hunting journals, but I am not finding many articles about draw odds and preference points. I guess that leads me to my last question. Do I need to build separate points for bow vs rifle?

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all of your help!

Listen to this and take some notes. This should answer a lot of your questions.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you planning on a cow/ calf hunt in Wyoming? Not sure you could draw a bull tag with zero points in a regular draw unless you are targeting a type 9 tag, and even then with zero points I don't think that's a guarantee either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
IAboy92

IAboy92

FNG
Let’s say a state has a quota for deer. That number is 5. For those 5 tags, 10 people apply. Obviously only 5 people can hunt so the state gives 5 guys the tags. The following year the same quota is set. The same 5 guys that applied last year and didn’t get drawn apply for the tag along with 5 other guys. Still there is 10 people applying but the guys that applied the previous year will earn the tag as this is their second time applying for the tag. The other 5 will have to wait.

That’s it in a nut shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Travis! Yes I understand in most states the person with the most points in this case preference points will draw the tag.

Maybe back the train up a bit. You say you are applying for a Wyoming elk tag you plan to draw with zero points.

Does that mean you have a hunt picked out, you understand the draw odds, and you understand the tag types, ect......?
Or does that mean you don't really know but "want" to apply and draw an elk tag in Wyoming this year?

Generally speaking you cant both draw a tag and gain a point, but there are scenarios where you can.

Where are you coming from, and what weapon type do you want to hunt with?

Opps, why was I talking about Montana........ Why are you targeting Colorado and Wyoming?

Yes I am planning to draw with zero points its a cow only tag. My reason for this hunt is I will be hunting with a very experienced hunter and am hoping to gain a lot of knowledge for future hunts. I have unit, type, etc. for this hunt. My questions are not about units but more so the costs associated with applying for these tags. If I am correct I believe Colorado has 1st choice 2nd choice etc. and if for example you draw your second choice you get a preference point and your second choice tag? I was wondering if you could do this in Wyoming also? I am from Iowa and I do a lot of bow hunting but for my first few excursions out West I will be rifle hunting.

Listen to this and take some notes. This should answer a lot of your questions.

Thanks a lot I will check it out tonight!

Are you planning on a cow/ calf hunt in Wyoming? Not sure you could draw a bull tag with zero points in a regular draw unless you are targeting a type 9 tag, and even then with zero points I don't think that's a guarantee either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes that is exactly what I am doing. Is it possible to apply for that tag as a second choice, apply for a more sought after bull tag as my first choice and build a point that way since I am not drawing my first choice tag as I am under the assumption you can do in other states?

OP
IAboy92

IAboy92

FNG
This is kind of diverting away from where I had intended the post to go. I guess my question in a more simpler form is how does the actual draw work for the states of Colorado and Wyoming? By that I am directly concerned with the cost of applying in these states. What do I pay up front? What do I get back if unsuccessful? Can I just apply directly for a preference point for the species that I am not planning to hunt that year?

Back Country Hunter 2 I have not got a chance to watch the video you have shared yet so that may answer some of these questions.

You should probably read the regulations and make a phone call to each state with your specific questions.

Rs3003

WKR
You can purchase just a preference point in WY & CO. Only money spent is the price of the point about $50 each state for elk. Not sure of the fees for other species.

Let’s start with narrowing it down a bit. You’ve asked some really broad questions for 2 states.

So, in Wyoming can you draw a cow tag as a second choice, retain your points, put in for a bull as first choice, and how much does it cost?
(That’s still a pretty big bite, but doable)

Maybe you can draw a cow tag as a second choice. That would require the unit to have tags left over after the first choice folks got thier tags. You’ll have to look at draw data for your specific tag.
If you draw second choice you can retain your points.
You can put in for a bull tag as first choice. Some percentage (25?) of the tags go in a random draw. You might luck into a random draw tag.
Cost depends on tag type. Full price elk is $700 and change, reduced price(maybe your cow tag?) is $400-ish. $50 or so for an elk point.
Even if you apply in the draw you don’t get a point less you pay for one.