Preferred/best brass for reloading (poll)

Best Brass

• Lapua

• ADG

• Petersen

• Norma

• Nosler

• Hornady

• Remington

• Winchester

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Curious what everyone would choose if money and availability wasn’t an issue. 4 votes are allowed.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
i prefer hornady and winchester brass for 308's. i get at least a half dozen reloads from them and the case capacity seems to be more than the expensive brands and way more capacity over the lake city brass. lets me fit a few grains more :)

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience the best brass on the market is Lapua and ADG. After that is Peterson (which has had production annealing/hardening issues in the past, but seems to be solid now), and lastly Norma brass (soft but decent). All other manufacturers are either very limited in what they produce, a re-headstamp of what was already listed, or throw away brass after one use.

In general, what you find at the big stores or as once fired brass is single use and then throw it away. The amount of prep work and reduction in case life almost always eats up any cost advantage it may have to premium components, much less the heartache with sub-par components. Also as a general rule you need to buy brass for the life of your barrel that way you aren't messing around with new lots and fire forming brass midway through your barrel life.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what I'm loading. Pistol, starline all the way. I was a big fan of Lapua in my 6.5 creedmoor. I use adg in my 300 RUM and it's held up really well

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Remington, Norma, Nosler, and Lapua(ONLY if it’s on sale). Otherwise, Lapua hasn’t proven to be worth it to me at full price.

Starline, hornady, then remington in that order- but as brass is a hard find now of days I picked up some P.P.U. for the 300 win. mag decent price and decent brass why anyone pays the price for lupua is beyond me.

MThuntr

WKR
ADG (and gunwerks), Peterson, Alpha Munitions, and Lapua would be top. I've never had issues with most of the standard stuff but have had a few run-ins with Hornady. They made it right but as soon as I can get Peterson 280AI I'm making the switch.

I got some for 7RemMag and 7mm08 a few years ago. The 7RemMag was about 25% throw away with misshapen belts, slag stuck to the inside, primer pockets not punched completely, and dangerously creased brass. The 7mm08 was ok but also had inconsistencies that I didn't trust it either.

In the end the issues cost me as much as Lapua in hassle.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
why anyone pays the price for lupua is beyond me.

Because literally in the op he said if money was no issues. I also think of longevity and cost per firing. My Hornady creedmoor brass i was getting 4, maybe 5 firings before primer pockets got lose with middle of the book loads. I was on 10 firings of the Lapua brass when I sold the rifle and primer pockets were just as tight as new (granted that is comparing large vs small primers). THAT'S why some pay the extra for it, because it generally(notice how I do say GENERALLY here) pays off in the long run.

Then there's my 300 rum. Again, Hornady brass is a JOKE. factory ammo, primers would fall out, with no other signs is pressure on the brass. Literally they were ALL one and done, even if the primers didn't fall out, they all wouldn't hold a primer. I'm on my 5th firing on adg, and primer pockets are nearly just as tight still. That brass was 1.50 a piece, about twice what Hornady was. It's already cheaper per firing than Hornady.

So sure. If you're just plinking away, or even seriously hunting, good enough is just that. Good enough. But sometimes it's NOT good enough, and to get something that is, you go up in price, and it's NOT a linear scale. And it's not always about up front cost savings.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The P.P.U. I bought had no such problems ,perhaps you just got a bad run. Never had any such problems with brass such as nhyrum mentioned but then I only load a case 4 times, and I shoot a lot. Never had a situation or problem with the brass mentioned, any manfacture of brass reguardless can be problematic sometimes. and now of days best get what you can find while you can still find it.

Alpha and Lapua for me. I've never personally used ADG but know plenty who do and it seems awesome as well from what I have seen. Once ADG launches the 300 WSM I will have some though.

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
Adg, lapua, alpha in no particular order. Just depends on caliber offerings

Rich M

WKR
I like Winchester and Remington and federal. Just hunting loads, nothing special.

hornady seems softer to me and I lose velocity with it.