Preferred sidearm for hunting and or camping/hiking

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I've carried a S&W 329 PD (44 mag) and it is fantastic to carry. Light and not bulky/uncomfortable ... but don't plan on placing any follow up shots. It jumps a bit. I've gone back to my Glock 20 as I can actually shoot it straight and it carries well. Honestly, a sidearm in non-grizz territory is more of a tool than anything. Helps me sleep better and is good for protection from bad (2) legged folks.

As far as performance goes, I've used both in tight quarters on angry boars and did notice a bit of a difference. The .44 put the pig down conclusively, whereas the 10 MM required a follow up shot. Now, if I had to shoot the .44 again I would have been in trouble, as I can't hit the side of a barn on shot #2 with that thing and it is quite possible that the follow up shot with my 10 MM was not necessary as it happened so fast. So, take it with a grain of salt. But, that is my experience.

If you can shoot a .44 better than I can, and you are in big bear country, go with the .44. If you are like me, and shoot Glocks far better than revolvers, then go with a Glock 10 MM of your choice or any other manufacturer of the 10 MM.

Last edited:

RDG_RNR

FNG
I love my 220 for my bedside, but feel it’s a little heave for backcountry. G20 is a lighter option if you want to stick with 10mm

rbrent

FNG
Smith and Wesson 329. But as Anello said, it is snappy with anything you would consider a bear load.

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 21 .45, but would probably convert it to 10mm if grizzly encounters were a possibility

Ruger Bearcat .22 when grouse or rabbit are on the menu.

Ruger LCRx .38 with 180 grain hard cast Keith style +P loads when I’m in Grizzly or Human country. I also put some shotshells in my pocket for grouse should the occasion arise.

psirus7

WKR
Glock 20, but it usually ends up in the bottom of my pack or left in the truck by the last few days of a hunt. 😏

P365 with cast or underwood penetrators, on my chest.

I almost got in a bad bind with mountain Lion last year. Was sitting down eating lunch with pack off, bow behind me extra. After the third hey cat he walked off

Phaseolus

WKR
35 years of hunting Colorado, half of it archery. I don’t carry. The only times I have carried is when I was out in the woods with my Jack Russell terrier because that little varmint could get into trouble. Obviously I’m not hunting when I was out with the dog.

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Sig Sauer p320 full size 9mm is my hunting sidearm choice. Sig Sauer p238 .380 is my choice of CC gun outside of the timber lines.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Either an M&P 9mm core or a g20 SF depending on where im at. I shoot both often and can handle both well. The g20 i have both HP and hardcast WFN projectiles depending on the varmint in question.

The core is also one of my daily carry peices and with the optic is very fast and accurate.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 20 (10mm) w/ a streamlight, loaded w/ buffalo bore in a razco holster attached to the bottom of my bino pack if hunting archery.

Glock 19 (9mm) if hiking/camping and not way in the back country.

Usually don't carry anything else if I have my rifle on me.

Plus variety is nice...

I personally carry glock 29 all the time. Just different loads for different situations of self defense. I like keeping my training simple for my simple mind, I want to be confident in what I use. So I figured I better have the same gun for protecting my family as I do when I'm out hunting.

It's worth noting that I don't hunt in Grizzly country and I carry bear spray in addition to the 10mm when in mountains to try to de-escalate the situation if possible.