Preferred sidearm for hunting and or camping/hiking

If I carry, it’s a sig 320 in 9mm. I’m picking up a glock 20 in 10mm for Alaska, though.

*zap*

WKR
I prefer to carry my sig p-250 in 9 (full size) with a light as much as possible. That can become an issue when carrying a pack with a waist belt so then I carry a Kahr pm9 in a pocket holster. No 4 legged predator worries around here. Both are dao, the sig has a recessed hammer and the kahr is striker fire....I prefer a hammered dao pistol for carry. Handling or re-holstering just put thumb over hammer....
I would like to come up with a way to carry the sig with a pack and keep it concealed....yet easily accessible.

IMG_5396.JPG

Depends on where I'm hunting. Backcountry I'll carry my XDM 10 MM. Plains hunting my XDS 9 MM (CCW) (coyote population control, for the ones that occassionally mess up my archery deer setups).

bliner

FNG
XD 45 if not in grizzly country and ruger srh 454 when in griz areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I often carry my S&W 60 Pro Series in 357 magnum just because it packs so easy I can forget it's there until I need it. It's heavier than the Leatherman Wave I carry on my right hip every day for work, but not enough heavier that I notice it.

For places I want more than that I carry either a S&W 386 XL Hunter in 357 or a 10mm. I have a Glock 20 and a Sig Tacops in 10mm. The Glock has some modifications I listed on another thread.

Sometimes on the river I take a Ruger P97 in 45ACP. It's a reliable and accurate gun but also an inexpensive one. If I'd manage to lose it it's not as big a hit to the wallet as the other ones listed. It's also really easy to take apart and get the sand out of after a fishing trip. No bears on my river and the most likely threats are 2 legged.

rob86jeep

WKR
I often carry my S&W 60 Pro Series in 357 magnum just because it packs so easy I can forget it's there until I need it. It's heavier than the Leatherman Wave I carry on my right hip every day for work, but not enough heavier that I notice it.

For places I want more than that I carry either a S&W 386 XL Hunter in 357 or a 10mm. I have a Glock 20 and a Sig Tacops in 10mm. The Glock has some modifications I listed on another thread.

Sometimes on the river I take a Ruger P97 in 45ACP. It's a reliable and accurate gun but also an inexpensive one. If I'd manage to lose it it's not as big a hit to the wallet as the other ones listed. It's also really easy to take apart and get the sand out of after a fishing trip. No bears on my river and the most likely threats are 2 legged.
I've always wondered why someone would factor in the price of a cheaper gun (sub $1k) when deciding what to carry? If you're carrying it for your own personal protection, what's the difference of $700 vs $400 when the actual chance of losing the weapon is low? Also, if you think you have a chance of losing the weapon, what's the point of carrying it at all?

If it's strictly because of rust/environmental issue then that's understandable. The post though (and a lot of other comments on other threads/forums) mention actually losing the weapon and not just extra wear/cleaning...

mcseal2

WKR
I understand your point. I definitely would not compromise reliability for cost. In this case the Ruger cost me $225 used and is very reliable and accurate. The river I fish is all sand bottom and I fish and camp off sandbars. Everything gets sand in it. With the old Ruger I’m not at all worried about where that sand gets. I don’t care about the finish, holster wear from a gritty holster, etc. Its also so easy to clean that when I get home 3 minutes and a can of gun scrubber and its done. If I had only a more expensive gun I would pack it, but this seems like a good niche for the Ruger.

On the loss end of things I run setlines at times on the river. For me that involves crawling around on logjams and being in awkward positions over water. If the gun comes out while doing this its gone. I have never lost a gun, but I’d cuss myself less losing this one. The holster I use for this gun is secure, comfortable, and doesn’t bother me doing this.
Bottom line is that the gun does me no good if I’m not carrying it. This one has the right combination of features that I will carry it for this job when a nicer one might be in my camp bag instead if on my hip.

Glock G26 for CCW and Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull for in the woods. Big hairy things with teeth live in the woods up here! 🐻:eek: