Preferred sidearm for hunting and or camping/hiking

Anybody ever heard of a mountain lion or wolf attack on a hunter? I don't think I have.

I once heard of a coyote attack on a turkey hunter. The dog snuck in on him while he was set up and calling. He promptly beat it to death with his seat.
A rancher I know was out riding his horse checking fence lines and got attacked by a pack of coyotes while riding. Spooked his horse and bucked him off and broke his arm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In the Midwest, I always carried a Kimber Micro 9....it was compact and didn’t get in the way. However, when I lived in UT and WY I always carried a big bore wheel gun (.460 S&W).

mcseal2

WKR
I bought a Sig P365XL this summer I have been carrying quite a bit fishing. It’s a really accurate and easy to shoot gun for it’s size/weight. I have a Fobus paddle holster for it. Also it comes with excellent day/night sights. I’ve shot over 1500 rounds of 9mm this summer working on my pistol shooting and put around half through this Sig. It’s been very reliable. I think it might go along on my scouting trips outside of grizzly country.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I can't remember the person/podcast but I was just listening to one a few months ago where a pack of wolves surrounded a bowhunter and he ended up killing 2 or 3 of them with his bow before the pack retreated.

Also just a while ago (maybe 6 months or so), there was a mountain lion that attacked a trail runner in CO. While it was a small lion, it shows that it does happen. I also have a buddy that killed a lion in Washington state while deer hunting when he just happened to look around and see it pretty close to him (and he thinks was stalking him).

While it's not the norm, all animals (even house pets) go nuts sometimes and attack people.

Not sure if this is the podcast you were referring to, but I wouldn’t have minded having a side arm in this situation!

T_Nelomz

FNG
What is everyone's preferred carry methods in the back country? I am thinking if my backpack has a waist belt that takes carrying the gun on hip /my waist out of the equation. I like the chest rigs like gunfighters inc makes ,but wondering how that would work with my FHF bono harness. I am thinking maybe a drop / thigh rig for my hunt this fall for my Glock 19. There isn't any dangerous game, but you never know if you will run into a lowlife trying to ruin your hunt.

What is everyone's preferred carry methods in the back country? I am thinking if my backpack has a waist belt that takes carrying the gun on hip /my waist out of the equation. I like the chest rigs like gunfighters inc makes ,but wondering how that would work with my FHF bono harness. I am thinking maybe a drop / thigh rig for my hunt this fall for my Glock 19. There isn't any dangerous game, but you never know if you will run into a lowlife trying to ruin your hunt.
Razco out of Montana. Chest rig that will fit on to your bino harness

bwlacy

WKR

XDM 10 in a CompTac international. Their mounting system allows to drop the holster about an inch and a half. I can carry on my pants belt and be below my Kifaru duplex belt. This will be my first season with this setup. This allows me to drop the pack and still carry. I'm not a fan of bino packs and chest rigs.

T_Nelomz

FNG
That Razco interests me. I have been making index holsters for over 10 years I am thinking I could fabricate my own like that for under $40.

I prefer to carry my glock 19. I've used a thigh rig before, but lately I've been thinking about a chest holster.

Sell33

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to carry my sig p-250 in 9 (full size) with a light as much as possible. That can become an issue when carrying a pack with a waist belt so then I carry a Kahr pm9 in a pocket holster. No 4 legged predator worries around here. Both are dao, the sig has a recessed hammer and the kahr is striker fire....I prefer a hammered dao pistol for carry. Handling or re-holstering just put thumb over hammer....
I would like to come up with a way to carry the sig with a pack and keep it concealed....yet easily accessible.

View attachment 169186

Check out Hill People Gear kit bags (chest pack). I discovered them about 6 months ago and it was life changing. They are so nice....pistol at the ready on your chest, yet still concealed. Plus a little storage space for other essentials. They carry great with a pack.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'll echo what Sell33 just said. The HPG Original Kit Bag is the best piece of outdoor gear I've ever owned. It is always with me whenever I go in the woods. Everything important is now on your chest and at your fingertips.

The OKB comes with lifter straps which allow you to dock it to your backpack. That is a fabulous feature. When I'm carrying my Ruger Toklat (47oz) in the OKB, and dock it to my SO backpack, the chest pack feels nearly weightless.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

Sell33

Lil-Rokslider
I went and recommended the HPG kit and didn’t even mention what I carry. I actually have the Runner’s kit bag for lighter load out and Heavy Recon Kit Bag for a bit more. I Carrey 5.25” XD10 In either bag. They are an extremely comfortable carry option. As mentioned above, probably the best piece of outdoor gear I have also.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Hiking is a Glock 26 in a Simply Rugged Cuda holster
Camping is always associated with being horseback and or running hounds. Then I carry a Ruger Single Action. Whether it's a Single Six in .22 mag, Single Six in .32 H&R Mag, or a .357 all depends on the time of year and concealibility. Warm conditions and less concealable clothing give the nod to either Single Six. Hunting deer or bear, the .44 Blackhawk is with me. Single action revolver carry is with it's own gunbelt and a holster made by Mike Barranti of Barranti leather. We don't have grizzly, mountain lion, huge bears, wolves or other dangerous critters that require large bore calibers. It's porcupines, coyotes coming in on the hounds or two legged predators around here.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
HPG is the way to go. I recently swapped the rear mesh panel for the one that holds a hydration bladder. Running it with a Hydrapak 2L and it is a dream. Drop the pack and still have all the stuff I need on my chest and now even a reservoir on my back.

Lots of Glock 43 carriers here. Glock 48 for me. Although I've been considering going with a 10mm lately
I have small hands and the 48 is my favorite handgun by far. Great gun! I also have a Glock 20 and the gen 4s have better ergos then the 3 and 3sf.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk