Preferred sidearm for hunting and or camping/hiking

Anybody ever heard of a mountain lion or wolf attack on a hunter? I don't think I have.

I once heard of a coyote attack on a turkey hunter. The dog snuck in on him while he was set up and calling. He promptly beat it to death with his seat.
I personally know two guys. My mothers cousin was shed hunting and actually bumped into a pair (speculated to be mating). The male leaped out of the bushes making whatever angry noise they make and he killed him with his 9mm. The other (female??) ran off. This was in WA state and he wasn't hurt.

My stepbrother's roommate in NV killed a bull before dark and was alone 2 miles from the quad and the quad was several miles from truck. Truck was many miles from the highway. Packed meat all night. Last load was just head and antlers. Halfway back to the truck a cat jumped on his back and he fought it off like a turtle with the antlers. He was carrying a glock 10mm on his chest and dumped a full mag under his arm pit towards the cat on his back. The cat ran off, he left the pack on the ground half crawled half walked to quad, drove to truck, drove to highway, flagged help from there and got a ride to the hospital. Fish and game found the cat mortally wounded from two rounds to the guts and they put it down. He was in the hospital at least over night.

Retumbo

FNG
Smith 360SC (14.5oz) with Buffalo Bore Heavy .357 Mag 180Gr HCLFN. First shot makes your hand bleed and by the 5th, you're not using your hands for the rest of the day. Still feel undergunned with bears around.

Surprised there's not more revolver love here.

Attachments

• IMG_20220723_213058106.jpg
    IMG_20220723_213058106.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 20

TheGDog

WKR
Smith 360SC (14.5oz) with Buffalo Bore Heavy .357 Mag 180Gr HCLFN. First shot makes your hand bleed and by the 5th, you're not using your hands for the rest of the day. Still feel undergunned with bears around.

Surprised there's not more revolver love here.
oh that's interesting! I have a Model 60 3" in .38 +P and wondered if they made a lighter 3" somewhere. Are the rear site notches narrow though like the 60? For that reason I never carried that 60, too time consuming to hurryup and acquire sight picture. But I imagine with that fiber optic bead it might help it a lil in that regard.

Retumbo

FNG
oh that's interesting! I have a Model 60 3" in .38 +P and wondered if they made a lighter 3" somewhere. Are the rear site notches narrow though like the 60? For that reason I never carried that 60, too time consuming to hurryup and acquire sight picture. But I imagine with that fiber optic bead it might help it a lil in that regard.
I'm running it with a V rear sight. Don't remember if that's what came on it from the factory, but I did a sight test 10ish years ago with all my S&W and the V rear and fiber optic front had the fastest acquisition but also lowest accuracy potential during 25yd slow fire. That said, the 360 with the heavy .357 is a 7 yard "minute of bear" gun after the first shot.

TheGDog

WKR
I'm running it with a V rear sight. Don't remember if that's what came on it from the factory, but I did a sight test 10ish years ago with all my S&W and the V rear and fiber optic front had the fastest acquisition but also lowest accuracy potential during 25yd slow fire. That said, the 360 with the heavy .357 is a 7 yard "minute of bear" gun after the first shot.
I like those 360's for the low weight. What is the sight picture supposed to look like to the user with that fiber optic bead out front and the integral frame notch from the rear sight? Do you have a picture of what sight alignment is supposed to look like for that pistol? I'm assuming a person is likely supposed to "lollipop" the target on top of the front bead, yes?

Retumbo

FNG
I like those 360's for the low weight. What is the sight picture supposed to look like to the user with that fiber optic bead out front and the integral frame notch from the rear sight? Do you have a picture of what sight alignment is supposed to look like for that pistol? I'm assuming a person is likely supposed to "lollipop" the target on top of the front bead, yes?

In my opinion, the major advantage of a V blade rear is that there's less information to process as compared to most other sighting systems. This makes it easier for me to shoot with both eyes open, and I use a "combat-sight" picture for all my handguns. I could never quite grasp the concept that you actually want to aim below your intended target with the 6:00 hold (lollipop on a stick) method and that never worked for me.

8ce8da8a-5564-49ba-9304-fbc5e2487302-jpeg.313071

bullnose

FNG
As of now, camping/hiking/EDC is usually a Glock 43x. Hunting, it's a GP100 Wiley Clapp SS in .357.

My wife has the blued version of the same GP100 for a nightstand gun. We looked at a lot of semi autos for her, but her dad taught her how to shoot with a S&W Model 19 so the Ruger felt best for her.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Like a Glock 29?
I currently have a Glock 29, it's mag is double-stack, so therefore the grip and slide are bulkier/wider then they really need to be. Also the grip is stubby and requires the mag flooorplate with the pinky extension. Which I've done. It's not bad... but I think it could be thinner and lighter if they wanted it to be. Like design it for a single-stack mag that maybe holds somewhere between 6 to 8 rds? That little bit of extra height to grip... and little bit of extra slimness it might be able to give you in such a configuration... I dunno.. I think it'd hit that sweet spot. But, I imagine most people start to not like dipping below 10rds for 10mm, though, hence reason they just stuck with G29.

drra

FNG
I carry a 44 to sit on baited bear stands so I can put the revolver on the tarp when processing.