premium hunting ammo

WCB

WKR
All of the above options will generally work. Guys telling you to stay away from Bonded bullets but telling you to shoot low weight retention bullets and match bullets are confusing. I shoot Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullets in 5 different calibers 7-08, .308, .270, 7mm rem, 300win. There are ZERO animals in N.A. I would be concerned with bullet performance shooting that heavy bonded bullet.

IMO, keep it simple and find a good quality round/bullet that shoots well in your gun and shoot it for everything. This is obviously a personal decision but I don't see the point of switching back and forth from one bullet to the next.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I went with nosler ballistic tip 165 grains for almost everything and nosler trophy grade accubond if/when I get after a moose or elk. Per noslers website the ballistics are pretty much identical so other than testing shouldnt have to move much to keep it ready to go.

Honyock

WKR
There's a reason why most bullets are compared to Partitions. I've used Federal Premium Partitions for about 35 years (yep I'm getting old) and they have always done the job when put where they need to be.

thanks guys, think I will stick with my precision hunters for the mulie hunt, shoot whatever is on the shelf for whitetails, and use accubonds for moose. appreciate the thoughts very much.
I was worried about expansion on a closer shot and thin game but sounds like I will be fine.
No need to overthink it much within the ranges you will be shooting, both will be effective. I have settled on the terminal ascent for my 308, I like that bullet

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks all. I bought nosler ballistic tip for here and trophy grade accubond for west. both the ballistics are identical per the box so should be pretty close

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I got a moose in Newfoundland with my .308 shooting 178gr ELDx Hornady Precision. Ammo is very accurate from my gun, and the bullet went through the entire moose, mushroomed well, and we found it stuck in the far hide. Moose ran 100 yards or so down a drainage.

I'd have no hesitations using the ammo on large game out to 400 yards from a 308. Just need to make sure you can place the bullet where it needs to be.

Edit to add: Just saw your post that you bought nosler. Can't go wrong with that either.