Premium hunting scope, your thoughts?

rootacres

WKR
So here's the situation. I just got back from a Coues hunt in AZ. My current brand X riflescope is about a ~$1000 unit and the optic's ability to shoot into some sunlight got exposed a little bit. I did not have my sunshade on (I realize now I should have brought it) but the optic difference between looking through my Leica HD-B binos and this riflescope was made clear. I lined up for a potential 650 yd shot at about 11 am shooting back towards the sun and had a very hard time picking out what I was potentially shooting at. The image quality just wasn't what I expected.

My question is, will a higher end scope help with this issue? It seems that in the binocular world the premium glass options do better when looking into light and during first/last light situations.

If it will help. I am looking at the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 and the Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44. I like the way these two are packaged and fit my intended purpose for this rifle well. Im kinda drawing the line in the sand at $2k for this scope.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
I've never been in your exact situation, but....
1) Sunshade would have really helped you out
2) Come on, what scope are you running now????
3) I run Bushnell LRHS/LRTS scopes on my long range rigs. Very good glass and better tracking. Used ones can be found for sub-$1,000. I believe GAP has a newer version for around a grand.
4) I'm sure either the Nightforce or Loopy would work well for you.

Good luck!

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure that either of those optics would have helped in your particular situation. Shooting into direct sunlight can be tough no matter how good the glass is. That being said, I own both of the optics you are asking about. You can research them both until you're blue in the face and not get a definitive answer as to which is best. I like them both and haven't had any issues yet with either. I personally think the Mark 5 edges out the NX8 but I could see how others might say opposite. Bottom line, they are both excellent optics, but glare is glare. They may perform better in that particular situation then what you have currently, but I seriously doubt either of them reduces extremely harsh glare to zero.

Wapiti1

WKR
Some scopes do better with flare than others. Price doesn't have a lot to do with that. Internal coloring, lens coatings, edge blacking of lenses, and control of light reflection on internal surfaces. Brand and intended use are probably more relevant. I'd have to call that company and ask to get a good feel for what they do to control it.

Binocs and scopes are so different in optical design, comparing the two isn't really relevant. Even a spotter isn't comparable. No prism's in rifle scopes. No erector tubes in binocs or spotters (at least modern ones).

I think you had a tough situation for any scope.

Jeremy

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m sure you tried everything and things happen in the field quick. I actually strung a bunch of small zip ties together and used my hat a sun shade here in Arizona on a similar shot.

You’d be hard to fault the scope here and always bring a sunshade when hunting in AZ. Lense flair, heat mirage, and direct sun make it tough in the desert.

OXN939

WKR
I'm not sure that either of those optics would have helped in your particular situation. Shooting into direct sunlight can be tough no matter how good the glass is.

Second this. I used to shoot ATACRs for work, and remember experiencing the exact same thing the OP was talking about during one range badly enough that I decided not to take several shots because of it. Sunshades definitely help, but sometimes a shot just isn't viable.

The potential reason for a usable picture with your binoculars and a poorer picture with your scope could be due to angle. Your binoculars are about 3 feet off the ground while your rifle scope is about 1 foot off the ground.

Lessons learned in the field:
  1. Change your shot angle; either horizontal and/or vertical. May not take much movement to get a workable shot.
  2. Make your own shade. Ball cap, shirt, friend, pack, etc. all can work. A few inches of shade in front of the scope can be enough to get a workable shot. This includes blocking light coming from the side. Regularly encounter this while glassing east-facing slopes in the afternoon.
  3. Use the sunshade if you brought it. Not foolproof but can help. Mine usually are at home.
  4. Clean your scope lenses. Dusty lenses kill you especially when facing the sun. Had this issue on this year’s Coues hunt. Went from can’t see poop to crystal clear and got my largest AZ Coues to-date (by over 10”).
  5. Wait for sun and/or animal to move. Sucks but this has been the most effective method for me.

wapitibob

WKR
I'm just now seeing that "flare". I never saw it with a 56mm Nightforce but had trouble yesterday with a 42mm swfa. I came home and screwed on the sunshade. I don't know that it's better glass but perhaps the objective size and how the glass sits back into it.

WCB

WKR
You may notice differences in glare/flare but in reality I don't think it will make an impossible shot possible. A sunshade or cutting a hole in a lens cover would do more than a different scope and be cheaper. I've propped my hat on the und of my scope before or just held my hand up there many times.

Quick update.

Experienced this first hand with Vortex Razor LH, Leupold XV5HD, Leupold VX6HD, and Swarovski Z5.

Seen friends and other hunters experience this with a wide assortment of scope makes and models.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
If you are intent in going for another scope I recommend you read up on the swaro x5 3.5x18. I had 2 and they were incredible. For some reason tho they dont get the gunboard promos that the others get.