Preparing for an elk hunt

Living at sea-level and then immediately going to high altitude can gas you even when you're in incredible shape. Before your trip consider talking to your doc about acetazolamide prophylaxis. It's cheap and is a game changer.

Thanks guys. I spent a few years in the Corps in an infantry unit, so long hikes and mentally sucking are something I grew accustomed to. I know the mountains are a different beast, and it's just prepare to the best of your abilities and it will suck less, which is what any of us can hope for.
Semper Fi!

Tailz190

FNG
Living at sea-level and then immediately going to high altitude can gas you even when you're in incredible shape. Before your trip consider talking to your doc about acetazolamide prophylaxis. It's cheap and is a game changer.

Acetazolamide works well !! It just made my face go numb everytime I took it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
Keep doing tons of cardio. Make sure you're getting some kind of hill or incline training in. That's what's going to kill you. I'm from Montana but when I lived in the midwest I ran a lot of stairs to get ready for when I came home. It worked okay, but the altitude is always going to make a difference too--especially the first few days.

+1 to what he said. When I lived in Ohio I would do stadium workouts with weight, which helped a lot. I’ve lived in Washington for five years now and backpack around 1,000 miles per year. Even with all that hiking, the elevation always hits me. When I get up around 4-5,000 feet it gets really hard to breathe no matter what shape I’m in. Can’t really train for that, but definitely work some sort of incline into your workouts

What did you use for weighted hikes? All I have is a day pack for white tail and put 30lbs in it. Back ended up killing me because I couldn’t get the pack to sit right.

Wapiti16

FNG
What did you use for weighted hikes? All I have is a day pack for white tail and put 30lbs in it. Back ended up killing me because I couldn’t get the pack to sit right.

If you're training for a backpack hunt, you need a proper hunting backpack with a frame. They are built to carry alot of weight. Load it up with sand, water, concrete, whatever to simulate weight and hit the hills.

jnwebb45

FNG
Thanks for your service sir. Been training for my first elk hunt this fall and glad I found this thread. Good pointers and stuff for me to work on. Good luck this fall!

NOTHING prepares you for walking up and down steep hills under weight better than walking up and down steep hills under weight.
This is the biggest thing everyone should preach.

Even if your body is wrecked, and you're
carrying elk out. Just knowing you already have walked up so many steep hills with weight is vital for your mind to go "I've done this s**t a ton of times before. I can do it."

4rcgoat

WKR
Keep your legs in top shape,if your lungs aren't there you can take a rest or slow the pace,if your legs give out.....well....

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Put one foot over the other and go…good info legs, heart, lungs and Desire…..if you don’t love work, pain and the Suck elk stuff may not be for you…..the brain has a way of forgetting the misery so we are ready months later to do it all again🤙🌈

Attachments

• A020B0B1-6BBF-4C36-8BE8-5CCF6CC4757A.jpeg
    A020B0B1-6BBF-4C36-8BE8-5CCF6CC4757A.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 52

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
It takes 3 days to acclimate when you get there. I live at sea level and always feel so much better midway through the first week. If you can arrive in a high altitude it’s like Denver a few days before your hunt you’ll be in good shape by the time you get in camp

jangst98

FNG
I am going to be doing a western hunt for the first time soon and these tips are great

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Strengthen your feet and don't forget to train your calves directly. Weighted Bulgarian split squat with a 10-20 second isolation hold 3/4 the way up on the last rep.