Preparing for First DIY Elk Hunt

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I just applied for an elk tag here in SW CO with a friend of mine. Beyond knowing the general area where we'll hunt (assuming we draw), I'm curious about what I should be doing to prepare for the hunt? Back in the day I was an editor at Sporting Classics magazine and was sent on assignment to cover the 40th anniversary of the Whittington Center in New Mexico. It also included an elk hunt. The hunt was a success though I would not come close to calling myself an elk hunter.
So, again, my question is, what should I be doing in the months leading up to the hunt? As always, appreciate any advice from the wealth of experience and knowledge you guys and gals have.

bsnedeker

WKR
Cardio, squats and lunges, practice calling, listen to elknut, Corey Jacobsen, and Rowe Hunting Resources podcasts, spend the rest of your time studying Google earth.

That's what I would focus on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I just applied for an elk tag here in SW CO with a friend of mine. Beyond knowing the general area where we'll hunt (assuming we draw), I'm curious about what I should be doing to prepare for the hunt? Back in the day I was an editor at Sporting Classics magazine and was sent on assignment to cover the 40th anniversary of the Whittington Center in New Mexico. It also included an elk hunt. The hunt was a success though I would not come close to calling myself an elk hunter.
So, again, my question is, what should I be doing in the months leading up to the hunt? As always, appreciate any advice from the wealth of experience and knowledge you guys and gals have.

That is a long list....

Get in shape
Spend thousands in gear, glass, camo
Shoot, a lot
Ruck with weight
Make a hunt plan
Break in your boots
Buy meals and preplan meal bags with calories per day
Be proficient with fire starting
Practice your calling
Digital scout the unit and have a plan a,b,c,d....
Get a subscription for OnX and Gaia and download maps to your phone
Make sure you fully understand all the rules of CPW
Then have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Baron528

FNG
Good advice so far. I'll add:

-Have realistic expectations based on your skill and fitness level.
-You don't need top end gear if it doesn't fit your budget, but you do need the basics. Boots and pack are two you should buy the best you can afford or you can/will be miserable.
-Have backup plans for everything. Weather, hunting pressure, and broken equipment can ruin a hunt if you aren't prepared.
-Practice calling and understand elk behavior. ie Elk101, ElkNut, etc
-Only carry necessary gear in your pack. This has a bit of learning curve and is influenced by experience and hunting style. If you're day hunting, I can guarantee after the first day you'll be digging through your pack cutting ounces anywhere possible.
-E scouting will give you some ideas/plans and familiarity with the area, but boots on the ground trumps everything.
-Keep a positive attitude and enjoy yourself.

Gerbdog

WKR
Not much to add here that hasnt been said, easier to keep these routines of elk hunting exercise and staying in shape going all year then it is to try and get it all going 3 weeks before hunting time. Carry your pack with weight if you go take your dog on walks in the evenings and try to get out and practice with whatever tool your planning to use to kill your elk.

In addition to a lot of good suggestions noted above, it is important to go downhill too. Many just hop on a treadmill or stair master to simulate an incline, however, what goes up must go down. You need to find hills or actual staircases so the muscles, joints, and bones that are impacted by going down and incline are exercised.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
In addition to a lot of good suggestions noted above, it is important to go downhill too. Many just hop on a treadmill or stair master to simulate an incline, however, what goes up must go down. You need to find hills or actual staircases so the muscles, joints, and bones that are impacted by going down and incline are exercised.
Great point. In my time spent backpacking, downhill was always the hardest for me. The knees...

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
A lot of great suggestions/recommendations. Much appreciated. I feel super fortunate to live at altitude even though I'm not spending my days in the rugged terrain we're likely to hunt. It's clear that I need to get a new pair of boots and start breaking them in right away. The buddy that I plan to hunt with lives in Nashville, TN, and while he has a pretty good understanding of how to prepare, these tips will help him as well.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Good advice so far. I'll add:

-Have realistic expectations based on your skill and fitness level.
-You don't need top end gear if it doesn't fit your budget, but you do need the basics. Boots and pack are two you should buy the best you can afford or you can/will be miserable.
-Have backup plans for everything. Weather, hunting pressure, and broken equipment can ruin a hunt if you aren't prepared.
-Practice calling and understand elk behavior. ie Elk101, ElkNut, etc
-Only carry necessary gear in your pack. This has a bit of learning curve and is influenced by experience and hunting style. If you're day hunting, I can guarantee after the first day you'll be digging through your pack cutting ounces anywhere possible.
-E scouting will give you some ideas/plans and familiarity with the area, but boots on the ground trumps everything.
-Keep a positive attitude and enjoy yourself.
I feel like I'm pretty good at "traveling light" so to speak. We're planning on going out and staying out for about five days so the weight is going to be a huge factor. I'd love to put some meat in the freezer, but more importantly I can't wait to spend some time with a good friend. Appreciate your thoughts.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
That is a long list....

Get in shape
Shoot, a lot
Ruck with weight
Make a hunt plan
Break in your boots
Practice your calling
Then have fun!

I have yet to use OnX, believe it or not. But plan on getting it. Actually preplanning meals is a good idea. I know you can get creative is that respect rather than going the Ramen route for five days. Thanks again.

Bluumoon

WKR
Last year was my first DIY in SW CO. Learned what I could from places like this in the year leading up to my hunt. My big lessons from this year

Practice with your rifle away from the bench/rest - look for post by Formidilosus - Practice vs Equipment
I did a survey and saw another one on what position you shot last elk from- 30% say off hand,
30% kneeling, the rest supported in some way. Also, use the right bullet, don't worry some much
about caliber.
I would plan on truck camping and hiking in, I tried to do it all and pack in a camp, it sort of worked...
I packed camp in and froze my ass off in a zero degree bag, couldn't use my wood stove r/t fire ban, back
to the truck for the remainder of the hunt. Where I had packed in camp was 500 yards from where I got
into elk.
Get out and hike/put eyes on the area you plan to hunt. Also your friend may want to get out here early from
TN to acclimate. I parked and hunted well above 10K this last year. I need a lower elevation backup plan
for this year.
Boots, try on and hike with weight in your pack. Thought my first pair was gtg until weight got up around 50lbs
and my toes were jamming against front of boot. Back country experience in Durango took care of me, took
the boots back even with miles on them and set me up with the right pair, ask for Levi.
I'll try to add more later.

Gerbdog

WKR
Another thought this am. Make sure you have adequate recovery gear in your vehicle and the ability to walk out/wait out a big surprise storm.
Good advice and worth reiterating for all hunting seasons, last year we had a huge snowstorm hit on sept 6th i think it was? or somewhere right around then, here in Colorado. If your driving back in on back roads etc. its good to carry an axe or hand chainsaw as well because its not uncommon for deadfall to land across the road blocking your way out / in.

L.Creed

FNG
As a new elk hunter myself (2 seasons), my biggest takeaways have been,
-be in the best physical and mental state you can be
-be comfortable with all of your equipment, especially whatever weapon of choice
-have many plans for your hunt, different spots within your unit you're interested in
-have low expectations of harvesting but high expectations of enjoying the time spent

That is a long list....

Get in shape
Shoot, a lot
Ruck with weight
Make a hunt plan
Break in your boots
Practice your calling
Then have fun!

I completely disagree with "spend thousands in gear,glass & camo"
Gear doesn't kill elk... never has never will

@JW@TRACT did you apply for a September hunt? If so get the ElkNut app and cache his video tutorials on your phone. I called in 7 SW CO bulls last Sept using Paul's methods. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots are a must try on.