Preparing for my Bowhunter Ed Test!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am pretty new to archery, have owned my bow for several years but just started shooting more regularly this spring. I completed the classroom portion of my BowHunter Ed course online a few weeks back, with the plan to take my shooting test sometime in the next month or so.

I have been trying to shoot my bow daily, and have tried to make this a part of my daily workout routine. It is so awesome to see improvement! When I started this four weeks ago I could only pull it back once before I was too tired to keep shooting without a break. As of today, I can pull back and shoot at least 30 times! I had already sighted in my 10, 20 and 30 yard pins, and today I did my 40 yard pin....here were my last three shots at 40 yards!

db5f866c.jpg

I still have a lot of room to improve, but I am feeling a lot more confident about my shooting test now. Wish me luck!

BuckSnort

WKR
Nice Shooting! You will pass..No luck needed, just keep practicing and it will come natural to you...

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will do just fine! Archery is one of those activities that you need to build muslce memory. It should also be a year round activity. I had a customer tell me the other day that he only gets his bow out to shoot just before season to ensure it is still sighted in......the customer is always right.....right? In this case.....not so much!

Becca,

Good grouping, but check with the instructors on what you will have to do. I'm gonna bet that the shooting "test" you will take is with broadheads instead of field points like you have been shooting. The purpose of the shooting portion of the course is to help people see if their broadheads fly differently than field points, which they often do. Also, you will be shooting at unmarked distances so you should practice that as well.

Good luck and I'm happy to see that you decided to take the IBEP!

Larry

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and feedback! Interestingly enough, for our field shooting portion of the test here in AK we aren't allowed to use broad heads at all, only field tips. The test consists of 8 shots, two at each of four 3-D targets. The ranges are unmarked, but we are allowed to use a range finder. I have to place one shot in the kill zone of each target, and get two shots in the kill zone of at least one. After I posted yesterday, we went out and I practiced shooting at distances between pins. Luke would move the target and pick a spot for me to stand, and I would range it and then take the shots. It went well, and I am feeling my confidence increasing, but I still have more practicing to do before my test.

While IBEP is required to apply for archery-only tags, as well as to archery hunt on state land here in AK, my main motivation to get certified was to try and develop a routine for shooting and an extra impetus to practice more. Even once I take (and hopefully pass) my test, I know I will need to practice a lot with broad heads before I am ready to out and actually start hunting with my bow. It's nice to be adding a new dimension and degree of challenge to my list of hobbies, especially one that I can practice right here at the house.

Thanks again for the support everyone, I will keep you posted!

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
You will be fine and will pass with flying colors. Just attack the targets just like you do in practice with the same routine that you do now.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Certification Success!

Completed the shooting test for my bowhunter Ed this evening! The test requires taking two shots at each of four 3D targets, with at least one fatal shot on each of three and at least one double. I guess all my practicing paid off, as I managed all eight of my shots in the kill zone!

90d9b969.jpg

549e1cfd.jpg

Still need to get practiced up with broad heads and do a lot more shooting before I am ready for hunting, but I am awfully glad to have the certification out of the way!