Preparing to shoot in the real world...

pk_

WKR
I don’t shoot far enough in the real world to see an issues. I do take a few free hand shots each session though
I believe shooting offhand is such a great skill/talent to have in real world hunting conditions. It makes it feel like cheating when you have a rest and makes quick offhand shots in the field feel natural.

If I had to attribute most of my hunting success (with a firearm)to one thing it would be the ability to comfortably shoot offhand. (I am talking about <200 yards)

Boomer51

FNG
Varminterror,

I don't think you get what he's saying. It's pretty easy to load a lot of loads that shoot good at 100 yds. Things like ES don't really show up there. Stretch those same loads out at 700+ and you really see the effects. It really depends on what you're looking for out of your loads.

Jim

Bryan Litz has a reward for you, whenever you’re ready to claim it.

I like to go for weighted training hikes in the nearby mountains with my rifle. I take 8-10 rounds and set up pieces of shale on snow slides or other safe areas. I’ll do this at random ranges from 4-800 yards. Up/down/awkward positions/wind etc. This makes the training hike fun and really dials in your shooting.

be628872759336aaa76be3d9437db40c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carter33

WKR
Wondering what drills or practice regimes folks are using to prepare for shooting in the real world?

I am guilty of too much time on the bench chasing tight groups and getting mad at a poorly executed shot resulting in a +1 moa group. As I reflect on recent hunting seasons I really didn't have any shot on an animal that comes close to how I shoot at the range. In the military we always said train like you fight and I have not been doing that... that said, I made the resolution to shoot in the prone, off the pack, offhand, etc. more while at the range.

Does anyone have any drills, training regimens that you can share to help us all be a better shooter in the field? Things that we can do at the range if we're not able to get out to the mountains to practice shooting?

Asking because I train here:
View attachment 171637

But I need it to count when I am here:
View attachment 171636

That first picture looks all too familiar, I have been there twice in the last week unless I am mistaken. Cushman right? Last trip I listened to a young boy explain to his father how his rifle was on safe while the range was cold with people down range followed by the kid announcing that a round was in the chamber and the magazine was full. The father didn’t bat an eye. Should I have said something? Absolutely, but I didn’t. It was a father with two sons and it felt wrong to embarrass/confront him in that situation, at least that’s my excuse. I probably also should have left but I was there trying to improve my skills. Hell I know I will be back, probably tomorrow even. Nonetheless it is a scary place and almost every trip I get frustrated with some of the stupid crap I see.

I have been shooting all my groups prone off a bipod/rear bag which I will have in the field and be able to use under ideal circumstances. After all the time and money I have spent I finally have a two day shooting course scheduled down outside of talkeetna and think it will really help. My 5 shot groups are all around 1 1/4 MOA very consistently but usually have one flier which I know is usually my fault.

Jeremy11

FNG
As a hunting guide I have come across many clients who think they are great shots, but this delusion is because most of the shooting they have done is at a range. When it comes to real hunting shots, many of these "sharpshooters" are hopeless. Once your weapon is properly sighted in at a range, practice shooting from field positions and situations, especially fast target acquisition which you can do anywhere without shots fired. Range shooting can be fun, but don't substitute it for the real thing too much.

Shooting steel, I have a hard time shooting paper, i get so focused on shooting a good group I don't shoot a good group. Once I establish a 100yd zero with a good tight sub moa group Im done.

I have a 10in gong on a stand, I'll throw it in the truck go to some public land set it up in at random. I shoot just like I would hunt. I shoot it a few times then go move it. Gives gun time to cool down and I get a workout dam near lugging the wooden stand and Target up some dam hill.

I figure once i have found a good moa or better round, if I can hit my gong consitantly out to 500yds off a bipod with my hand as a rear rest just like I would hunting I'm good to go.

I like the rock shooting idea people have spoke of I need to find a spot for that near my house.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
This is great advice:

Thanks! Thought I'd seen that recently but couldn't find it when I searched on my phone. Great info @Formidilosus - I look forward to trying that drill soon. I am sure it will be humbling

I don’t shoot far enough in the real world to see an issues. I do take a few free hand shots each session though

I think freehand is super important especially if you live in bear country. I killed a grizzly at 28 yds last fall on a sheep hunt. More of CQB kinda situation but with a scoped hunting rifle.

I like to go for weighted training hikes in the nearby mountains with my rifle. I take 8-10 rounds and set up pieces of shale on snow slides or other safe areas. I’ll do this at random ranges from 4-800 yards. Up/down/awkward positions/wind etc. This makes the training hike fun and really dials in your shooting.

be628872759336aaa76be3d9437db40c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. I plan on doing this as much as possible this summer when the snow disappears. I've found the wind to be very humbling when I go from a range in town to the top of a mountain and try to shoot beyond 200 yds.

As a hunting guide I have come across many clients who think they are great shots, but this delusion is because most of the shooting they have done is at a range. When it comes to real hunting shots, many of these "sharpshooters" are hopeless. Once your weapon is properly sighted in at a range, practice shooting from field positions and situations, especially fast target acquisition which you can do anywhere without shots fired. Range shooting can be fun, but don't substitute it for the real thing too much.

Once you add in the elevated heart rate and adrenaline when staring down the scope things can go south - seems like this is when all the practice will pay off or the lack of practice will show itself. It certainly was the case when I was in the military and in some dicey situations.

rootacres

WKR
Wondering what drills or practice regimes folks are using to prepare for shooting in the real world?

I am guilty of too much time on the bench chasing tight groups and getting mad at a poorly executed shot resulting in a +1 moa group. As I reflect on recent hunting seasons I really didn't have any shot on an animal that comes close to how I shoot at the range. In the military we always said train like you fight and I have not been doing that... that said, I made the resolution to shoot in the prone, off the pack, offhand, etc. more while at the range.

Does anyone have any drills, training regimens that you can share to help us all be a better shooter in the field? Things that we can do at the range if we're not able to get out to the mountains to practice shooting?

Asking because I train here:
View attachment 171637

But I need it to count when I am here:
View attachment 171636

I am far from the best person to talk to about this but I did see a drill that someone mentioned about here recently. It makes practical sense to me and then I’ll add some other ideas I like.

Step 1 - find a good load that shoots well in your rifle (factory or reloads). Gather the info.

Step 2 - zero the rifle off bags/sled (100yds 200yds either/or) Eliminating as many variables as possible.

Step 3 - practice off bags out to distance (whatever it may be for you) until you are proficient.

Step 4 - repeat step 3 while adding variables. Shooting off a pack, shooting seated, kneeling with a tripod etc until you achieve step 3s proficiency level with variables.

Step 5 - maybe do step step 4 while adding ways to increase your heart rate. Burpees, pushups, jumping jacks. Something like that.

I guess I should add. All of this is assuming you don’t have a mountain in your backyard to go create real world like situations for yourself. If you do, you’re most the way there already.

Kronos

FNG
One of the drills I do is to sprint 200-400 meters as fast a possible and then get behind the gun and start putting rounds on target. Your heart and breathing rate will be up and it simulates shooting during an adrenaline rush. The first time you do it will be very humbling. It's a great exercise to practice getting your breathing and heart rate under control in shooting conditions.

Chipz

FNG
PRS style stuff would probably be advantageous. If you have a range where you can set some steel at an unknown distance, get your heartrate up and practice setting up for a shot exactly like a hunting scenario. After the 1st shot, send 2 rapid follow ups.

Also like others have said, ditch the bench. Shoot in the positions youll actually be hunting from, prone, sitting, kneeling, etc.