Prepurchase Exams

rayporter

WKR
i like to get shoes put on [ something i used to do] 10 to 14 days before i leave. this gives time for the foot to grow a little more sole and for problems to show up. such as a hot nail or cut into the sole. the shoes should be in very good shape for the first month which will include the 2 weeks you will be in the mountains.

it helps if your farrier knows your animal and understands what it will be negotiating on the trip. sometimes he might change shoes for the trip or do something different just for the trip.

netman

WKR
rayporter I just got my mule shod a few days ago for my up coming trips. I watched my farrier like a hawk and asked a million questions.
Working on my mule first aid kit now.

rayporter

WKR
put her on hay now because of the trip. worm her now, it may save you a problem out there.

it is a long trip and it will definitely be a stress when you change feed. if you are going to feed pellets out there get her on pellets now so she has time to adjust. you should take 10 days to work up a new ration. and many dont drink well on a trip. it can help to carry your own water for a couple of waterings at stops but it will not help much.

getting there and having to use certified feed can be a big change- to say nothing of the grass.

a topic that is popular to argue about is rest stops. it was 1500 mi from ohio and i would usually drive it in 31 hrs or so. i would stop twice if i could and at least once try to get an hours sleep with the horses off the trailer. i have see it in print that it takes at least 40 minutes for one to relax enough to get some rest off of the trailer. one trip home i never stopped once with a snow storm chasing me. made that in about 28hr.

netman

WKR
It’s 27 hours from home to where I hunt. I’ll stop in Sheridan for the night. My plan is to get my mule out there for a few hours while I eat and stretch my legs before sleeping time. I’ve had my mule on pellets for a couple weeks now. I presoak them most days but some days I don’t. He drinks a lot more water when I just feed him pellets.
I’m going to pick up some cubes before I leave home.