Prescription Electronic Hearing Protection?

Dr. Zeus

FNG
I'm entertaining the thought of purchasing a high quality electronic hearing protection/sound amplifier via ear plug style that could be comfortablely worn all day ever day, for work and shooting. I'm sure, but not positive that a quality set could run up to, if not more than a thousand bucks. And yes I understand that my hearing is priceless, but money is tight rightnow with a kid on the way and the current economy. Either way, I'm wondering if an audiologist could write a prescription for one that insurance could help cover the cost? If so, and if someone has already done this, please share your experience below. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

K98

FNG
I use MSA Sordin muffs with the gel pads. They are electronic but the batteries last over 6 months. I have no issues from the bench nor prone. They are pricey but IMO worth it as hearing aids have been much, much more costly than if I would have had appropriate plugs/muffs and used them at a much younger age.

dtrkyman

WKR
Meateater had a recent podcast with an ear Doc on, she is making some, worth a listen.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I run the digital ESP brand and love them. You’ll
have an audiologist take a mold of your ear and send them off. I’ve had them about 8 years and they have been in plenty of nasty weather as well as a ride thru the washing machine and are still fantastic

Plus one on the esp. Send a copy of your hearing test and they are programmed to account for your hearing loss, if any. My hearing loss is rated at moderate to severe and these are fantastic. Keep in mind however they only offer about the same protection as soft plugs. No idea if insurance would cover but I deducted them from taxes, work safety equipment.

Unckebob

WKR
Plus one on the esp. Send a copy of your hearing test and they are programmed to account for your hearing loss, if any. My hearing loss is rated at moderate to severe and these are fantastic. Keep in mind however they only offer about the same protection as soft plugs. No idea if insurance would cover but I deducted them from taxes, work safety equipment.

If OP works for a company, he can use a Medical Expense Reimbursement (MER) program to spend the pain over a year while saving on his taxes as well.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought some Soundgear Phantom’s. Local audiologist was able to bill them as a hearing aid so I only had to pay my 20% copay (was around $400) and then used my HSA account to cover that.