Preserving the Cape

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going on a fly-in moose hunt with my dad in September. Since we're flying into the bush, we're limited to 55lb packs each (not including our guns, boots, anything else we can wear on the plane). Assuming we're successful (fingers crossed), we like to bring the capes home, however due to the weight limit, we won't be able to pack much salt. Are there any alternatives for keeping the cape fresh while in the field?

VernAK

WKR
I'm usually into our fly-in camp for almost two weeks and I take no salt for capes. Leave it open at night to cool. Flesh as best you can. During the day, I roll it up amd put it in the shade.

Kimbersig

WKR
cool and dry and you should be fine. learn how to turn the lips and ears. depending on how long you will be in after you drop a moose that salt might be something you figure out how to take. wear all your clothes on you when you board the plane and keep some heavy stuff in your pockets if you are worried about gear weight!

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information guys. I was under the impression that without salt the hair would slip, but it sounds like the secret is the flesh the hide well and keep it cool! Now here's to hoping I didn't jinx myself out of a bull...

KINGSNAKE

WKR
If your worried after you turn and flesh you could apply some stop rot. It's a liquid that will keep the hair from slipping
I would just want to be sure you took rubber gloves and didn't get the liquid around your meat. You can buy it from Mckenzie taxidermy supply.

OP
wooduckman

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Kingsnake. I have looked at Stop Rot as well, but have a read a couple different reviews stating it almost works too well and dries the hide out too much to make it unusable.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have only used stop rot in a controlled environment where I could keep the cape moist. I have not used it in the field where the hide could dry out. I would call that taxi mentioned above and get his opinion. Let is know what he says.i would like to know for myself.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't remember to split the bell, had some slippage there. Fleshing is for recovery witch you will need after packing that heavy cape last.