Preserving velvet on a mulie

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to see what some of you guys do to preserve the velvet on you mule deer if your out on a long hunting trip. Our season opens September 1st and by then there pretty hard horned underneath the velvet. So I dont know if injecting anything would work. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Treat velvet like you treat meat, get it to a reputable taxidermist that can inject it when you are out, you’ll be good.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
My taxidermist doesnt do that, he sends them off to get artificial velvet. And no I'm not going to find a different taxidermist.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I haven't seen artificial velvet that looks realistic yet. All the artificial velvet I've seen on mounts is easy to spot from a mile away. Not saying it can't be done, I just haven't seen an example of it yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Velvet Tan is what I have been using and it works best when the horns are hard under the velvet. It's available from most taxidermy suppliers. The only time I had it fail was in 2018 when the antlers were not finished growing. It works great if the rack is hard tipped.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't seen artificial velvet that looks realistic yet. All the artificial velvet I've seen on mounts is easy to spot from a mile away. Not saying it can't be done, I just haven't seen an example of it yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ya I hear you, definitely sticks out like a sore thumb, just not a fan of it!

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Velvet Tan is what I have been using and it works best when the horns are hard under the velvet. It's available from most taxidermy suppliers. The only time I had it fail was in 2018 when the antlers were not finished growing. It works great if the rack is hard tipped.
I was looking into that. Do you have to still inject it somehow? Or can you just brush it on if there is no veins to inject into? Thanks

chasewild

WKR

Shoulda let him keep growing ;)

bohntr

WKR
My local taxidermist used it on a velvet elk this year……used several containers on them to ensure everything was covered. He reported that some of the velvet went rotten…..so not sure what to think.