Preserving velvet

MTbow

FNG
This year I’m hoping to get on a big velvet mulie before he hits the timber. Expecting 24 hours before I get it to a taxidermist, any tips on preserving the velvet? I’m okay with peeling it if it’s trying to fall off.
thank you

EastMT

WKR
This year I’m hoping to get on a big velvet mulie before he hits the timber. Expecting 24 hours before I get it to a taxidermist, any tips on preserving the velvet? I’m okay with peeling it if it’s trying to fall off.
thank you

I did my wife’s caribou DIY euro velvet this year. The taxi wanted to cut the horns off and put a fake skull on because it’s a hassle to keep the velvet and euro I guess using beetles, they want to eat it all. He wanted $800.

So I talked to a buddy that did it, told me to use yellow bottle heet. I injected it into the bottom around the base, then used a spray bottle and doused the rest until it was running off. I then wrapped it in plastic bags and sealed it up, spraying fresh Heet on as I wrapped it. Tape it up well, let it set for about a week. I then I unwrapped it and let it dry with a fan on it.

The skull was smelling good by this time, boiled it out only submersing to the pedicle. Plastic cling wrapped the antlers and power washed it. Turned out perfect, $800 extra for next year!

That stuff is not good for you, so mask, glasses, gloves, ventilated area etc.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did my wife’s caribou DIY euro velvet this year. The taxi wanted to cut the horns off and put a fake skull on because it’s a hassle to keep the velvet and euro I guess using beetles, they want to eat it all. He wanted $800.

So I talked to a buddy that did it, told me to use yellow bottle heat. I injected it into the bottom around the base, then used a spray bottle and doused the rest until it was running off. I then wrapped it in plastic bags and sealed it up, spraying fresh Heat on as I wrapped it. Tape it up well, let it set for about a week. I then I wrapped it and let it dry with a fan on it.

The skull was smelling good by this time, boiled it out only submersing time the pedicle. Plastic cling wrapped the antlers and power washed it. Turned out perfect, $800 extra for next year!

That stuff is not good for you, so mask, glasses, gloves, ventilated area etc.
This is what you used-- heet gas line antifreeze?
980cec20087331a166bb5e279e244a5a.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
This is what you used-- heet gas line antifreeze?
980cec20087331a166bb5e279e244a5a.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is methanol, apparently that is what they use for a dip tank. I don’t know that for sure but a trusted buddy showed me his that he did, explained it. It wasn’t a booner but she liked the velvet so I gave it a shot instead of spending the big bucks on it.

As a taxidermist I do a fair number of velvet antlers a year I will inject denatured alcohol into all of the veins the webs endpoints that will take a needle until the fluid runs clear from the veins then hang to dry in front of a fan velvet can be such a touchy thing to save

24 hours is nothing, velvet will be just fine. If you can keep it out of direct sun and high heat that would help but I wouldn’t worry for one second about 24 hours.

Treat velvet and cape like your meat, and you’ll be good to go.

OP
MTbow

MTbow

FNG
Perfect
24 hours is nothing, velvet will be just fine. If you can keep it out of direct sun and high heat that would help but I wouldn’t worry for one second about 24 hours.

Treat velvet and cape like your meat, and you’ll be good to go.

perfect, thank you!