Press Suggestions

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I just got accepted into a gun club so plan on doing a lot more pistol shooting but also want to start working up my own hunting loads as well. Was looking for press recommendations to load both pistol and rifle. I am know nothing about reloading so was looking to leverage the groups knowledge on what you all recommend to get. Thanks!

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of folks will say start with a single stage, I would say my turret presses (Lee and Lyman) get plenty of work. Easy to set up your dies and run through a couple boxes of brass.

If you're a volume pistolshooter, a progressive might be worth your time, but IMO for handloading a rifle for precision I prefer to weigh charges over throwing a volume charge.

IMO, tough to go wrong with any of the turret presses on offer.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I would buy two presses. A Mec Marksman for rifle and a dillion for pistol.

Is there a reason you like that brand over say RCBS or something similar? Also, is there a dillion you recommend?

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Second for the MEC. As far as single stage presses it is widely considered one of the best non-german options out there. It doesn't have the height to comfortably work with massive cartridges though (375 etc). And as far as Dillons go, you can get a powder drop funnel and still use a scale to measure powder. So in theory you could just run a 550 with a couple heads and do it all.

My personal setup is;

2 Redding T-7 presses (sizing and seating)
1 RCBS RC4 Supreme (depriming/cheytac)
2 Dillon RL1100 on autodrives (gonna sell as soon as my backorder for 2 mark 7s is filled)
1 Dillon 550 (cowboy shit)

But I'm setup to do commercial work as a side business

Honestly a 2 press setup would be ideal for your situation. I believe a single stage or good turret is necessary to ensure accurate sizing and seating when you measure to the full or half thousandths, progressive presses tend to have a little more play in the shell holder that makes it harder to manage tool pressure at each stage. That's why you have to match use across the toolhead to make sure you don't cant things

BBob

WKR
Want to save some $$$ ? Lee Classic Cast. Well known in the custom bullet making world as one of the most consistent and straight presses out there. My main press is a Redding but I bought two Lee classics as secondary presses and they do great.

Like others I have a Dillon 550. I’ve had it for over 30 years now. Still going strong.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason you like that brand over say RCBS or something similar? Also, is there a dillion you recommend?
Its not the brand (Mec) but the way the press is made. It produces .00 runout. Read as many reviews as you can about the Mec Marksman and you will understand why you see so many people recommending it. The are press that cost more but they are not always better. For a progressive press since you are new to reloading a Dillion 550 is very hard to beat.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I liked my MEC Marksman so much that I bough a second one.

I use one as a dedicated deprimer and the other for sizing and seating.

I switched from a Hornady to the MEC. It's tolerances are way better than most presses out there, especially in it's price range. I would love a turret press as well as I load for 5 different rifles. Probably go RCBS for that.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from a Hornady to the MEC. It's tolerances are way better than most presses out there, especially in it's price range. I would love a turret press as well as I load for 5 different rifles. Probably go RCBS for that.
Hornady makes a conversion bushing so you can use their bushings to set up your dies and you wont need a turret press. I have installed it on my press and its sweet.

I started on an RCBS single stage and have messed with progressives and turrets. I don't like the progressives I've tried (mostly Dillon). I treat reloading like a shuttle launch in that I have zero tolerance for failure. By failure I mean squibs, double throws of powder, etc.

The RCBS stuff is nice, but I have come to settle mostly on Redding. The quality in machining is better and I like being able to set up for a caliber and build small batches of ammo to test without removing and re-setting dies.

I also have gone to hand priming. I resize and deprime, then I tumble to get the case lube off/out. Then I sit on the couch and reprime while I watch TV. I touch every seated primer to ensure it is fully seated. I use a powder measure to throw a charge and then trickle it on the scale to get it weighed exactly.

R.C.B.S. All the way around single stage press and dies, been using it for years, especially for a new loader makes you slow down and less chances for misteaks.

tdot

WKR
I'd recommend Forster Co-Ax over the MEC, its' the original press of that style plus I do not like the MEC collars that are mounted on the dies. Switching dies is fast enough on both platforms that I don't see a need for a turret press. But I'd definitely look into a Progressive for handgun reloading.