Pressure adjustment on Nock 2 It

SlimTim

FNG
Hi all,

I recently bought a Nock 2 It and the release seems really sensitive. As soon as I rest my thumb on the trigger it fires. If I try to adjust the pressure setting the release doesn’t fire properly.

Does this sound correct and has anyone else had this issue?

cheers
Tim.

dtrkyman

WKR
The tension based releases are very picky on consistent hand placement and overall archery form. Alter anything and the release fires instantly, alter in another way seems you need to pull the cams off the bow to fire it.

Something in your form may be breaking down while aiming. Being you bought that release I would assume you have watched Dud's videos.

I shoot a Stan Element resistance release and it works awesome, it did however take a bit of time to master it, I would work on blank baling for a while and see what happens, stand close to a decent sized target, do not aim juts simply focus on form and shot process.

Without a video of you shooting it is really hard to determine the issue, it could be the release but not likely!

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
Thanks @dtrkyman I spoke to carter and they didn’t seem to think it’s the release either. It appears things seem to rarely go wrong with these releases. It’s most likely my form considering how new I am to archery. I’ll keep playing with it. I’m hesitant to send it back as I’m in Aus and it take along time for postage.

A nock 2 it is a trigger thumb button release, not tension activated, correct? Build a shot strainer out of some string and a piece of wood for a handle and practice applying the same amount of tension on the trigger before you apply back tension and fire the release.

dtrkyman

WKR
Correct, I mixed up the releases. What do you mean it does not fire properly?

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
I feel like the trigger is super light. It feels like just the slightest amount of pressure from my thumb fires it. When I tighten the pressure adjustment screw the release doesn’t fire properly. I’m not too sure.

I feel like the trigger is super light. It feels like just the slightest amount of pressure from my thumb fires it. When I tighten the pressure adjustment screw the release doesn’t fire properly. I’m not too sure.
How much are you tightening the screw? If you tighten it all the way down the release probably won’t fire. Did your release come with different weight springs? On my carter release I had an issue and I just took the spring out cleaned it a little and then put it back in and it worked fine, not the same release FYI. Google John Dudley release maintenance videos for how to take apart your release and clean it or replace springs.

wayoh22

WKR
Sounds like you screwed that sucker all the way down. Back it out a decent amount and get a piece of string and practice to see where you're at.

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
Thanks so much everyone.

I have screwed it all the way down, to the point the release won't fire, and all the way out, to the point the release won't cock, and I don't notice any describable difference in the amount of pressure required to fire the release (outside of the obvious extremities).

Perhaps I just thought there would be a broader range of pressure adjustment.

I'm actually shooting pretty good with it and I'm hesitant to send it back as I'm in Aus and its probably a two month round trip to the states for what might be a non-existent issue.

lsufan03

FNG
Thanks so much everyone.

I have screwed it all the way down, to the point the release won't fire, and all the way out, to the point the release won't cock, and I don't notice any describable difference in the amount of pressure required to fire the release (outside of the obvious extremities).

Perhaps I just thought there would be a broader range of pressure adjustment.

I'm actually shooting pretty good with it and I'm hesitant to send it back as I'm in Aus and its probably a two month round trip to the states for what might be a non-existent issue.
I’m having the same issue as you currently. Any updates on your problem with the tension release?

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
I’m having the same issue as you currently. Any updates on your problem with the tension release?
Nothing. There is no pressure adjustment and it's pretty, in fact too, light. Because I'm in Aus I've been hesitant to send it back as I'll be without the release for a fair while. I also called Carter and they said the problem is highly unlikely. I've just assumed its the way the release is and have just been using it. I'm not entirely happy with it to be honest.

I was thinking about opening the release up and having a look inside though carter said that would void the warranty so I haven't yet. I wonder if they would even know? Perhaps I should.

Let me know if you find anything out.

Cheers,

lsufan03

FNG
Nothing. There is no pressure adjustment and it's pretty, in fact too, light. Because I'm in Aus I've been hesitant to send it back as I'll be without the release for a fair while. I also called Carter and they said the problem is highly unlikely. I've just assumed its the way the release is and have just been using it. I'm not entirely happy with it to be honest.

I was thinking about opening the release up and having a look inside though carter said that would void the warranty so I haven't yet. I wonder if they would even know? Perhaps I should.

Let me know if you find anything out.

Cheers,
Yeah, I opened mine and all I got was a spring launching to the stratosphere! Currently debating trying to find another that has said spring back in place along without the tension issues or other release options!

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
Yeah, I opened mine and all I got was a spring launching to the stratosphere! Currently debating trying to find another that has said spring back in place along without the tension issues or other release options!
I wonder if that spring was the reason there is no pressure adjustment? Without having looked in mine I suspect a spring has moved in the release. Can you not simply replace the spring in the correct position?

If I had to guess the tension spring is doing something weird. Loosen the set screw, then back out the screw that is a socket head set screw type inline with the thumb. There is a spring under there that when you screw in increases tension. The spring should fill most of the hole diameter and not be crooked or anything like that.

lsufan03

FNG
I wonder if that spring was the reason there is no pressure adjustment? Without having looked in mine I suspect a spring has moved in the release. Can you not simply replace the spring in the correct position?
Could be..that’s what I was thinking and reason I opened mine up. I’ve been searching for replacement springs if there are any available online. I have no idea where my spring launched to..lol

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
Could be..that’s what I was thinking and reason I opened mine up. I’ve been searching for replacement springs if there are any available online. I have no idea where my spring launched to..lol
What a nightmare. I'm sure Carter will send you a new one. They'll probably also fix it for a fee now that you've opened it. Do you think if I carefully open mine I might be able to put the spring in the correct location? Is it pretty simple set up inside your release?

lsufan03

FNG
What a nightmare. I'm sure Carter will send you a new one. They'll probably also fix it for a fee now that you've opened it. Do you think if I carefully open mine I might be able to put the spring in the correct location? Is it pretty simple set up inside your release?
Possibly, it was the jaw feeling like it wasn’t closing as tight as it could be that was my issue. If you do open keep an eye on your springs and remember where they go!

Rodéo

WKR
You should listen to the advice that's already been given on this thread and find John Dudley's youtube videos showing how you properly take the release apart and clean it. This will show you how to access the spring in question without having it fly out. Hope you get it figured out. It shouldn't be acting like that and it seems like an easy fix. Cheers.

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
You should listen to the advice that's already been given on this thread and find John Dudley's youtube videos showing how you properly take the release apart and clean it. This will show you how to access the spring in question without having it fly out. Hope you get it figured out. It shouldn't be acting like that and it seems like an easy fix. Cheers.
Awesome. I'll get onto Youtube and check it out. I'm assuming its an easy fix too.