Pressure can venison

kipper09

WKR
So I been on a little kick of wanting to try to pressure can some venison. Everything I have studied tells me to to pressure can it at 11 pounds for 75 minutes. So my first attempt with the new pressure canner I couldn’t keep the pressure down to 11. With the stove on complete low and the weight on it stood at 15 pounds steady the whole 75 minutes. Is this going to have any affect on the cook or the meat. I’m not sure what the difference would be? I’m at about 1550 elevation. Anybody have any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything will be fine. That 11 pounds for 75 minutes is the minimum you should can it at to destroy all the bacteria. Higher pressure just means it is at a higher temperature. All the the higher pressure is doing is insuring all the bacteria is gone. Most weighted pressure cookers are set at 15 pounds for low acid foods. As far as the cook on the meat, no matter what it will be very well cooked. Hope this helps.

TX1836

FNG
Let everyone know how it turns out. I am interested in trying the same thing.

Trr15

WKR
My grandmother used to pressure can venison every year. One of my favorite ways to eat it, right out of the jar.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Well i cracked a jar open and ate some for lunch today. It was perfect. I don’t think the extra pressure did anything at all. I suggest anybody try it. I definitely plan on canning
More and experimenting with some other ideas as far as seasoning. I did the first turn with a little Cajun seasoning. The next with a little beef boullion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
We can chunk uncooked meat, pre cooked ground meat, meat balls in tomato sauce, etc. Its all great.

rayporter

WKR
I do mine at 15 lb for 50 minutes.

every year we try to add something different to it for flavor. not much beats adding a bouillon cube
and a dash of cavendars.

one of the advantages of the canning is that you can can a lot of the poor cuts of meat. stuff life neck meat and brisket can be diced and added to the jar with out much trimming. time was we trimmed it down to meat and got all the fat and tendon off but now nearly all of it goes in the jar.

and we do it outside or in the basement on a couple fish cookers. speeds things up with 2 cookers.

Michael54

WKR
A beef bullion cube and a clove of garlic is all we use. We then dump it in a pot with some cream of mushroom soup and eat it over egg noodles. Its awesome

*zap*

WKR
one of the advantages of the canning is that you can can a lot of the poor cuts of meat. stuff life neck meat and brisket can be diced and added to the jar with out much trimming. time was we trimmed it down to meat and got all the fat and tendon off but now nearly all of it goes in the jar.

Any details on how your doing that?

rayporter

WKR
neck meat is basically just cubed enough to fit into the jar -tendons, fat and all. much of the shoulder is the same. just cube it and stuff it. then add a boulion cube and some cavendars.

we used to go to a lot of trouble trimming but have found it is not necessary. the first batch we canned was all roasts cubed up. gradually we learned what we could leave on.

shanks that have huge tendons get trimmed some and any really big chunks of fat come off.

when cubing the meat the book says one inch cubes but you can get away with a little bigger. one by one and half is about right. the point is to be able to pack the jar-no air space, except for a one inch headspace.

we do 28 jars at once and that equals about 55lb. after 25 lb of trimming you start to get careless.

try a jar of the worst you can imagine cubed up and mark it--- then see if you can tell when it is cooked up. that is sort of how we worked it out.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I do 15# for 90 mins. I add a slice of jalapeño and a spoon of salt to raw dry packed meat with at least 1/2" of headspace. It's fantastic.

*zap*

WKR
neck meat is basically just cubed enough to fit into the jar -tendons, fat and all. much of the shoulder is the same. just cube it and stuff it. then add a boulion cube and some cavendars.

we used to go to a lot of trouble trimming but have found it is not necessary. the first batch we canned was all roasts cubed up. gradually we learned what we could leave on.

shanks that have huge tendons get trimmed some and any really big chunks of fat come off.

when cubing the meat the book says one inch cubes but you can get away with a little bigger. one by one and half is about right. the point is to be able to pack the jar-no air space, except for a one inch headspace.

we do 28 jars at once and that equals about 55lb. after 25 lb of trimming you start to get careless.

try a jar of the worst you can imagine cubed up and mark it--- then see if you can tell when it is cooked up. that is sort of how we worked it out.

Thank you.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
you can can venison just like you do beef. Basically take the deboned meat, roast it till its browned, but not done.Pack it hot quart jars, ladle in hot broth leaving about an inch of head space.

Add a little salt, and process for 90 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.We did this years ago when freezer space was limited.

I've the pressure cooked venison, cook for about an hour. Thought all pressure cookers are set to 15 psi.
Cube meat to 1" add seasoning you like and water to 3/4" from top .
Seasonings are mostly beef bouillon, salt, pepper.
I always make some stew like variations in addition, like chopped onion, garlic, potatoes and carrots.

I usually just raw pack the meat with 1 tsp of salt and and some pepper. Sometimes I add jalepeno or garlic. It's always fantastic. I've tried canning both with raw pack and with browned meat and I don't notice any difference in flavor or tenderness. I've also done it with and without beef bouillon and both were great.

At my elevation at home it is 75 minutes at 15 psi.

I've never had a problem with my canner going over pressure. With the 15 psi weight in place my guage always reads right at or just under 15 psi. It may be a stupid question but are you sure that you are using the correct position on you weight? Either way, as has been stated already, the higher pressure is not a problem.

Michael54

WKR
Our biggest pain is doing it with an electric stove. Its hard to get the stove at the right setting to where the weight rattles intermittenly.

One packet of onion soup mix in the bottom of a quart jar raw pack cubes of meat 1 inch from top full with water to 1/2 inch from top and can as stated above. Pretty simple, really good.