Pressure Canned Moose Chili

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca,

Definitely interested in a How-To article on the pressure canning

The article was completed a while back, and submitted to "the Rokslide powers that be"...hopefully it will be available soon for folks who are interested :)

In the meantime I am happy to answer specific questions either here or via pm...

WKR
Bob, I browned and used taco seasoning in a bunch of leftover ground from last year. Pressure canned that and it is working great for tacos. Just warm and serve. Also browned some with jalapenos and onions and that is great for chili. This thread has me wanting to make up some chili though and can it like Becca did. Good luck and follow the directions, very safe.

Looking forward to the article! Just bought a pressure cooker/canner based on some other posts I read about canned meat. Sounds like it's a fantastic way to handle some tougher cuts of meat. Sounds like the meat more or less falls apart and will be great to use in stews, tacos, etc...looking forward to more info and to give it a shot!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
im gonna can some bear this weekend, anyone want throw out a proven recipe?

Are you wanting to do just cubed steak, or chili? If just cubed meat (great for "pulled style" meat sandwiches, or tostadas, or to add to soups and stews) it can be done either hot or cold packed. I personally prefer cold packed simply because it saves a step....you don't have to brown it first, just cube the meat and add it with a little salt to the jars and process as directed. The color won't be quite as appealing, but it saves you having to brown all that meat and add hot broth which is what you would have to do if you are hot packing.

Here are the specs for canning meat:http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/strips_cubes_chunks.html

And here is a chili recipe I have used:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/chili_con_carne.html

I refer heavily to the cooperative extension service website and their approved publications/cookbooks. It may be paranoid, but the exist of botulism exists with home pressure (and water bath) canning and I just feel better following directions that have been scientifically tested.

Last edited:
thanks becca! i plan to just do the cold packed meat on this go round, but hope to move into the chili realm, with a little success under my belt

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks becca! i plan to just do the cold packed meat on this go round, but hope to move into the chili realm, with a little success under my belt

Great! Let us know how it turns out! Pressure canning felt really intimidating to me when I first started out, there are a lot of steps and prep work to be done and it can seem overwhelming. My best advice is to read the directions for your canner all the way through a couple times before you start. Then wash and prep all your jars (you can leave them in hot water or in the dishwasher on sanitize until just before you fill them) and then cut all the meat you plan to can all at once, so you can fill the jars and get the lids on in pretty short order.

Have a book or computer handy, once you get the jars in the canner and the whole thing going there is a couple of hours where you just stay close by and make sure the pressure is in the right zone.

ive got an experienced helper so hopefully it goes well. hes been canning for years and is taking me under his wing! while the psi-canner is rolling, we are going to water bath spicy carrots and green beans