Pressure vs slow cooker?

Pressure cooker is great when you forgot to thaw anything and need to go from frozen roast to fully cooked in under 2 hours.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Yup, pressure cookers are the way to go if time is an issue but, like most things I cook, I like low and slow. And yes, I use both

Wapiti1

WKR
I use both as well. The slow cooker, to me, is more versatile. The pressure cooker is a tenderizer, but doesn't lend itself well to building flavors. Most of the time, I use it to get the meat tender so I can use it in something else. Tongue might be the only thing that I've eaten straight out of the pressure cooker.

Jeremy

Here's an article written by J. Kenji Lopez Alt on pressure cookers vs slow cookers vs dutch ovens. If you're not familiar with him, he does a decent job of delving into the science of cooking. His opinion seems to be to use a pressure cooker or a dutch oven and in the article he has several side-by-side examples to back it up. Its not wild game specific, but I'd say the majority of the time its better to think in terms of what cut you're cooking and not specifically as wild game.

I gave up using a crock pot slow cooker. We only user the pressure style insta pot system now with all our game. Its amazing what It will do in a fraction of the time, and it basically falls off the bone its so tender.

Slow cooker is really just a roasting oven, a way to simmer something over time. Pressure cooker has the same effect, just much more quick.

Pro953

WKR
For flavor, dutch oven all the way. You cannot get the Caramelization and flavor concentration/reduction from a pressure cooker.

Don’t get me wrong I have and use a pressure cooker, but it is far from apples to apples. Different tools with a different overall outcome.

Both will give you tender well cooked meals, but flavor and texture are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lhook7

FNG
I use both often, and my choice depends on what I am making. If it is a stew where the more tender the meat the better, I’ll use a slow cooker. If I am making a meat dish, where you don’t want it too tender, venison osso buco for example, but also don’t want to cook it for four hours, I use a pressure cooker.