Preventing Knife Cuts in the Field

AK_Skeeter

An inexpensive fillet glove on the non-knife hand prevents cuts from a knife slipping while butchering.
Loaned mine to the youngster in the photo skinning out a bull moose for the first time....4 hours of work in waders.
I throw mine in the washer with my meat bags and good to go for the next fall's kill kit.
FilletGlove.jpg

TX_Diver

I use them at home butchering sheep and they are great, but haven't brought myself to carry one in the field yet.

Probably should though.

hflier

I use a kevlar glove similar to that on my left hand also. If you buy a couple sets they last awhile since you only need one at a time. They weigh almost nothing.

Trr15

Never considered a glove before, but gave myself a nasty cut quartering an elk last fall. Couldn’t keep it closed w/superglue and electrical tape so I knew it was a good one. Might consider this in the future.

Last edited:

Samsam

This is a great idea, I had to butcher a moose solo this year and in the process of trying to keep the meat out of the mud had to do some very awkward cutting of the moose/my hand, but hey still got my hand and got a whole lotta tasty moose.

AZ_Hunter_2000

If solo, I ensure that I have a fillet glove. If hunting with others, then I usually leave it at home. Should just keep one in my kill kit all the time.

Sheepdog

I’ve been carrying a fillet glove for a few years now in my kill kit. The weight penalty is worth not having to worry. I caught my thumb with a havalon type knife and spit it wide open to the bone. I had to pack out and head to get stitches. It was a stupid mistake handling such a knife but it happened before I realized what I was doing. I haven’t forgot a glove since.

Peakbagger46

I’ve had good luck not cutting myself in the field by using shorter blades. I was using a 3.5” but the 3” blade I used on my last elk was awesome.

Peakbagger46

I’ve had good luck not cutting myself in the field by using shorter blades. I was using a 3.5” but the 3” blade I used on my last elk was awesome.

Fatcamp

Yes. We keep them in our kill kits. Put them over nitrile gloves and you stay warm and safe.

eosone

I use the Milwaukee brand cut proof with the rubberized grip.

I wear them at work a lot, so I am used to working with them on.

Timberline001

An inexpensive fillet glove on the non-knife hand prevents cuts from a knife slipping while butchering.
Loaned mine to the youngster in the photo skinning out a bull moose for the first time....4 hours of work in waders.
I throw mine in the washer with my meat bags and good to go for the next fall's kill kit.
View attachment 267080
Wow this is awesome idea. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that. A glove like that in the backcountry will be worth it’s weight in gold.