Preventing Knife Cuts in the Field

An inexpensive fillet glove on the non-knife hand prevents cuts from a knife slipping while butchering.
Loaned mine to the youngster in the photo skinning out a bull moose for the first time....4 hours of work in waders.
I throw mine in the washer with my meat bags and good to go for the next fall's kill kit.
FilletGlove.jpg

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I use a kevlar glove similar to that on my left hand also. If you buy a couple sets they last awhile since you only need one at a time. They weigh almost nothing.

Trr15

WKR
Never considered a glove before, but gave myself a nasty cut quartering an elk last fall. Couldn’t keep it closed w/superglue and electrical tape so I knew it was a good one. Might consider this in the future.

Last edited:

Samsam

FNG
This is a great idea, I had to butcher a moose solo this year and in the process of trying to keep the meat out of the mud had to do some very awkward cutting of the moose/my hand, but hey still got my hand and got a whole lotta tasty moose.

If solo, I ensure that I have a fillet glove. If hunting with others, then I usually leave it at home. Should just keep one in my kill kit all the time.

Sheepdog

FNG
I’ve been carrying a fillet glove for a few years now in my kill kit. The weight penalty is worth not having to worry. I caught my thumb with a havalon type knife and spit it wide open to the bone. I had to pack out and head to get stitches. It was a stupid mistake handling such a knife but it happened before I realized what I was doing. I haven’t forgot a glove since.

I’ve had good luck not cutting myself in the field by using shorter blades. I was using a 3.5” but the 3” blade I used on my last elk was awesome.

I’ve had good luck not cutting myself in the field by using shorter blades. I was using a 3.5” but the 3” blade I used on my last elk was awesome.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes. We keep them in our kill kits. Put them over nitrile gloves and you stay warm and safe.

eosone

FNG
I use the Milwaukee brand cut proof with the rubberized grip.

I wear them at work a lot, so I am used to working with them on.

An inexpensive fillet glove on the non-knife hand prevents cuts from a knife slipping while butchering.
Loaned mine to the youngster in the photo skinning out a bull moose for the first time....4 hours of work in waders.
I throw mine in the washer with my meat bags and good to go for the next fall's kill kit.
View attachment 267080
Wow this is awesome idea. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that. A glove like that in the backcountry will be worth it’s weight in gold.

JustinD

FNG
I’ve been looking for cut resistant dish washing type gloves. But I really like the idea of nitrile gloves under a fillet glove.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Milwaukee brand cut proof with the rubberized grip.

I wear them at work a lot, so I am used to working with them on.
Are the Milwaukee's cut resistant to a knife like a fillet glove?

Rich M

WKR
Same here - I use em for filleting fish and processing cows or game.

I have the rubberized ones too - did cut the finger tip off one once while cutting something - I knew what was happening and it didn't get my finger. Not sure you could do that with one of the fish gloves.

tdot

WKR
I’ve been looking for cut resistant dish washing type gloves. But I really like the idea of nitrile gloves under a fillet glove.

I wear a Nitrile glove over the cut resistant glove. Best of both worlds.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I have them in my kill kit now as well. Couple years ago I had the pleasure of joining two friends on their moose hunts. The first, a cow hunt, we met a fellow forum member in the field who had the bull tag for that unit. He helped us locate and process a cow moose. Toward the end of the field dressing he put a good ding in his hand. I had my first aid kit ready to go and we moved on. I came home and refilled my supplies in my first aid kit and threw in a kevlar glove. The next weekend I'm with my other buddy on his bull moose hunt. He shot one on day two that weekend and as we were working up the bull I had offered one of my kevlar gloves. He gave me a good ribbing about being a man and not needing a glove... fast forward a hour or so and he's working on the cape around one of the pedicles. The knife grabbed something under the skin and he forced it and put his Havalon through the top tendon above his middle finger, absolutely buried it. He completely severed the top tendon and partially severed the second one underneath. We finished up the field dressing and packed it out but he couldn't lift his finger at all, completely dead. Thankfully, I had my first aid kit ready and got him pretty well taken care of but he required two surgeries and a lot of physical therapy that took several months.

I consider the kevlar gloves cheap insurance (minor weight penalty) now and will always have them in my kill kits.