Price no option, Best Muzzleloader?

Scoutfarm

FNG
I would definitely speak with Jeff Hankins. He’s been building 500+ yard muzzloaders for the better part of 20 years. Many custom builders use his ignition system or copies of it.
If I had to chose between using one of my Remington 700 actions, or building off a custom action I would definitely start with one of the new custom actions like the Mesa Summit or Defiance Outcast. By the time you true the Remington, add bolt handle, bolt stop, etc. you’re have way to the cost of a new purpose built action.
At the end of the day, from Jeff you could probably build a complete custom rifle with a scope, sighted in, with load and drop data out to 500 yards for the same price as just a rifle alone from the other builders mentioned.

Dabouv

FNG
You need to first figure out where you are hunting. I have a remington ultimate and mostly hunt nebraska, where I am from, but not where i live. I don't feel it is a true 300 yard rifle as advertised. There are modifications made and if you want to spend real dollars, they make it a 45. Now there are factory 45s that probably are better values. I am going to get rid of the remington and get an accura mr x (although maybe the lr x if you want range). This will allow me to hunt NW too. I don't hunt anywhere where I think i need more than 250 yards for muzzleloader . A buddy has a TC and he says he is able to group 8 in at 300 yards. He built this for anetlope. it is a custom set up and I'm sure he spent a lot . He uses Lukes nsr bullets and I believe he used mgm barrels but that may be for the other calibers he uses, not the muzzleloading.

ENCORE

WKR
You need to first figure out where you are hunting. I have a remington ultimate and mostly hunt nebraska, where I am from, but not where i live. I don't feel it is a true 300 yard rifle as advertised. There are modifications made and if you want to spend real dollars, they make it a 45. Now there are factory 45s that probably are better values. I am going to get rid of the remington and get an accura mr x (although maybe the lr x if you want range). This will allow me to hunt NW too. I don't hunt anywhere where I think i need more than 250 yards for muzzleloader . A buddy has a TC and he says he is able to group 8 in at 300 yards. He built this for anetlope. it is a custom set up and I'm sure he spent a lot . He uses Lukes nsr bullets and I believe he used mgm barrels but that may be for the other calibers he uses, not the muzzleloading.
The Ultimate rifles, both the UF and the RUM, will shoot.

IMG_0263a.JPG

Ront

FNG
Ok guys, if money were no option, what's the best "long range" muzzleloader? (I'd also ask to keep it to production made muzzleloaders. Something that a person could buy online or in a store. Not something a gunsmith created as a special request or "one of a kind" muzzleloader.)

I've been here a while lurking in the background reading a lot about CVAs Muzzleloader going out to 300 yds. Remington had one that promoted 300 yds.

But I ran across Gunwerks Magnus a few yrs back, they claims in can go out to 500 yds! 😳😳 (granted it's $10k+)

I'm in IL and they just passed a law that now you can use straightwalled, single ahot cartridges after Jan. 1st for deer.

But I'd be lying if I didn't find a 500 yd muzzleloader something to dream about. Especially for elk out west. To be able to basically have rifle-like range during muzzleloader season, and not have to worry about the normal rifle crowd. Or to be able to touch a deer at 500 in my home state of IL.

So, if price were no option, what muzzleloader would you get to go long range?
Arrowhead MZ’s are awesome. Luke is a fantastic guy. I own two and could not be happier.

Good luck

Dabouv

FNG
Yes, I know places like Colorado need open sights and conical balls as opposed to modern sabots.

I was just curious cuz other than what I see in advertisements and on TV I'm completely out of the muzzleloader game and have been for about 7-8 yrs.

But I do like the idea of going 300-500 yds for an extra season.

My experience with my own muzzleloaders is 150-200 yds, basically a glorified slug gun. Which to me I already have being in IL, so why not shoot slugs and have 3 shots?
You can get long range muzzleloading accuracy at a price. I doubt any factory set up will be good past 300

Dabouv

FNG
The Ultimate rifles, both the UF and the RUM, will shoot.

View attachment 453416
I could never get anywhere near that with my factory Rem. ultimate. I can group well at 200 yards but maybe 2 3/4 in. I have used Bob Parker , the remington 250 grain that they rec , and barnes 295 grains. I have played with powder and I do best with 110 by weight of blackhorn. You are a much better shot than I am. I can't get groups like that with my sako 300 , my best shooting rifle. I can shoot about .7 in at 300. I can't consistently shoot either muzzleloader at an inch at 100 yards.

ENCORE

WKR
I could never get anywhere near that with my factory Rem. ultimate. I can group well at 200 yards but maybe 2 3/4 in. I have used Bob Parker , the remington 250 grain that they rec , and barnes 295 grains. I have played with powder and I do best with 110 by weight of blackhorn. You are a much better shot than I am. I can't get groups like that with my sako 300 , my best shooting rifle. I can shoot about .7 in at 300. I can't consistently shoot either muzzleloader at an inch at 100 yards.

Ok guys, if money were no option, what's the best "long range" muzzleloader? (I'd also ask to keep it to production made muzzleloaders. Something that a person could buy online or in a store. Not something a gunsmith created as a special request or "one of a kind" muzzleloader.)

I've been here a while lurking in the background reading a lot about CVAs Muzzleloader going out to 300 yds. Remington had one that promoted 300 yds.

But I ran across Gunwerks Magnus a few yrs back, they claims in can go out to 500 yds! 😳😳 (granted it's $10k+)

I'm in IL and they just passed a law that now you can use straightwalled, single ahot cartridges after Jan. 1st for deer.

But I'd be lying if I didn't find a 500 yd muzzleloader something to dream about. Especially for elk out west. To be able to basically have rifle-like range during muzzleloader season, and not have to worry about the normal rifle crowd. Or to be able to touch a deer at 500 in my home state of IL.

So, if price were no option, what muzzleloader would you get to go long range?
TC Encore.. do the removable plug too.

I had a 50cal ultralight and bought a 45cal mountaineer barrel from Knight and just swapped it with the 50cal barrel.

nphunter

WKR
I had a 50cal ultralight and bought a 45cal mountaineer barrel from Knight and just swapped it with the 50cal barrel.
The knight 45’s are pretty awesome, I have a factory 45 UL and it shoots great.

You can get long range muzzleloading accuracy at a price. I doubt any factory set up will be good past 300
Lol. Shooting anything is more about the shooter than the gun. Here is a 300 yard group from my factory Knight 45 UL, open sights, 777 and #11 caps to be legal in OR. There was also a 15mph cross wind that day which is why I was hitting left. If I could use a scope, blackhorn and 209’s, I have zero doubt I could shoot sub MOA at 500 yards with the knight.

91307752-848C-4C46-B952-4ABBDFC08FFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Out of the box I recommend a Remington ultimate 700 all day long. I've got mine shooting 400 yards with confidence to ethically put an animal down.

I've shot quite a few muzzleloaders, and If you want precision and the best look no further than Bad To The Bone Muzzleloaders out of Las Cruces, NM.

I just shot my bull with a single placed shot to drop him in his tracks at 492 yards with a turreted scope specific to that load development and gun.

MCOBB2

FNG
Back in the day I bought a Rem 700 UML thinking I had a top of the line unit when I ordered it. Like most I wasn't overy impressed with accuracy (1" MOA give or take) and did not feel comfortable with shooting at an animal at 250 yards or greater. I was shooting a Barnes bullet with a sabot. I finally bit the bullet and converted it to a 45 cal smokeless through Jeff Hankins. I'm shooting a .45 cal bullet sized Pittman 303gr Aeromax with IMR4895 and could not be happier. Less than .5" MOA with a muzzleloader really makes some jaws drop. I recommend doing this in any state that allows it.

Buy once, Cry once!!!

Fitzwho

WKR
I just shot my bull with a single placed shot to drop him in his tracks at 492 yards with a turreted scope specific to that load development and gun.
Too bad that setup is no longer legal during muzzleloader seasons in NM after this year.

I would have a hard time putting $4k+ into a setup that seems to be trending towards being banned in most western states.

If I wasn't worried about that, Arrowhead all day. If I was. A Paramount Pro would take care of you where you can still have a scope and since you're saving $2k-$3k, go ahead and pick up a Paramount Pro Colorado to have a legal setup for NM/CO/NV.

Definitely a good option. I am pretty happy with my muz from Luke. I can switch between scope and open sights pretty easily depending on what state I’m hunting in.

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
The arrowhead priming system is fantastic system- we use it for our smokeless/BH209 builds, along with quite a few other builders.

There are quite a few companies building off their breech plug and modules, with that system and other quality components, you can build an extremely nice gun. We guarantee ours to shoot 1/2 MOA out to 500 yards with our load development, and most shoot well past that!

We’re based in the east and the guys in the shop hunt a lot of the Midwest states where the smokeless muzzleloaders and our custom long range straight wall gun has really changed the game- we have staff and customers routinely killing whitetails at 500-600+ yards.

Where it becomes a real game changer is ag fields and hill to hill-type shots, where you can hunt a certain terrain feature from the opposite hill side and actually see deer in the thickets and hunt regardless of the wind.

I think the term “game changer” is extremely over used in hunting; but when it comes to whitetails in the Midwest, the ability to shoot 600 yards accurately completely changes the game.

Last edited: