Primal Rights Competition Primer Seater Review

parshal

WKR
Any experience with the holland seater? Curious what the CPS would offer over it at only $280

I had one. The CPS is much easier to use by like 400%. I have a Century 21 hand seater and a CPS. When I'm doing load development I use the hand seater since I'm not doing a whole lot at a time. The CPS comes out when I have quite a few. I can't say the CPS is more accurate than a hand primer but it's so much faster.

I also have a couple Dillon 550C's and I'm thinking of using the CPS to seat primers. It's that much easier.

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
I had one. The CPS is much easier to use by like 400%. I have a Century 21 hand seater and a CPS. When I'm doing load development I use the hand seater since I'm not doing a whole lot at a time. The CPS comes out when I have quite a few. I can't say the CPS is more accurate than a hand primer but it's so much faster.

I also have a couple Dillon 550C's and I'm thinking of using the CPS to seat primers. It's that much easier.
What makes it easier to use than the holland? I have the holland and watching the video on CPS I don't see it being easier or even faster. So I assumed there must be something I was missing like accuracy. I do like the ergonomics of the handle placement more than the holland as I am usually sitting when priming.

parshal

WKR
With the Holland the feed tube moved with the handle and it felt rickety with a full primer tube. You also had to move the lever to block the handle in order to seat. More movements is what I remember.

On the CPS you simply slide the lever forward and back with a finger to get the primer moved, lower the handle to seat and repeat. The lever working hand does all the work and the other is free to add/remove cases.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the Holland the feed tube moved with the handle and it felt rickety with a full primer tube. You also had to move the lever to block the handle in order to seat. More movements is what I remember.

On the CPS you simply slide the lever forward and back with a finger to get the primer moved, lower the handle to seat and repeat. The lever working hand does all the work and the other is free to add/remove cases.
exactly. Holland is an extra step but same premise.

My CPS shipped today. Im pumped. Holding off on a bunch of brass that needs priming so I can use it!

Wrench

WKR
There's some interesting videos on effect of primer depth/crush on the aggregate.

A bit OCD for minute of deer rig, but for those measuring out 3 places....there's fat to be trimmed.

Cool tool.

nksmfamjp

FNG
Serious question this is not intended to argue or mock because I'm truly interested...Did it do anything for your groups? If not, wouldn't something like the Lee Auto Bench Prime work?

I have not tested it myself - but I have seen brief tests showing primer seating depth to offer improvements in ES. But, that needs do be done along with consistently uniforming your primer pocket depth and measure primer seating depth, so not just the CPS.

I've been using my CPS since last June, love it...

And, I don't know of any other that lets you adjust the depth or the amount of crush with that resolution (if it matters to you). For me, anything I can do to make the process easier, faster, and more consistent - I'm all over it...
The K&M hand tool for $60 and the Holland bench tool for $340.

I’m really surprised that there is still no data to support the use on this tool. The RCBS tool puts them in the hole with great leverage for $120. The K&M does bolt, but leverage is worse. This seems to result in +/- 0.001 seating depth accuracy with my K&M, but I really need a better depth gage to even know what I have….which leads me down the Holland road a bit.

Honestly, where is the data? Why buy this tool? Maybe I’m asking the unreasonable questions. I’ll go back to my corner.

Eric Cortina has given Greg an hour on YouTube to explain this. I’m like 20 min in….I’ll see if he spills the beans with test data.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The K&M hand tool for $60 and the Holland bench tool for $340.

I’m really surprised that there is still no data to support the use on this tool. The RCBS tool puts them in the hole with great leverage for $120. The K&M does bolt, but leverage is worse. This seems to result in +/- 0.001 seating depth accuracy with my K&M, but I really need a better depth gage to even know what I have….which leads me down the Holland road a bit.

Honestly, where is the data? Why buy this tool? Maybe I’m asking the unreasonable questions. I’ll go back to my corner.

Eric Cortina has given Greg an hour on YouTube to explain this. I’m like 20 min in….I’ll see if he spills the beans with test data.
I asked Greg that question before doing my review. He was very honest and basically said less than 1% of reloaders/shooters would have the equipment and skill to tell the difference.

I like the CPS because of how easy it is to use and the feel when seating primers. If it removes a variable from my reloading process, that is a bonus.

orkan

FNG
I asked Greg that question before doing my review. He was very honest and basically said less than 1% of reloaders/shooters would have the equipment and skill to tell the difference.

I like the CPS because of how easy it is to use and the feel when seating primers. If it removes a variable from my reloading process, that is a bonus.
You forgot the rest... ;)

I also said that almost every shooter reports a significant reduction in flyers and a much more consistent performance overall, on velocity as well as on the target, as long as the rest of their load process is correct. Though in the 2 years since this thread has been created, a lot more people have purchased the CPS... with demand so high that we can almost never keep them in stock.

With the advanced adoption of the tool, we're seeing a huge influx of reports from shooters claiming owning the CPS gave them a significant improvement, with those performing a proper primer seating depth test in the manner I prescribe, universally seeing benefit.

As the general knowledge of the handloading community goes up, the more individual equipment and methods will matter.

nksmfamjp

FNG
Though in the 2 years since this thread has been created, a lot more people have purchased the CPS... with demand so high that we can almost never keep them in stock.

With the advanced adoption of the tool, we're seeing a huge influx of reports from shooters claiming owning the CPS gave them a significant improvement, with those performing a proper primer seating depth test in the manner I prescribe, universally seeing benefit.
I see that! Just as I’m coming around, I see that these have gone up a bit and there are none available! Can a person get on a list?