Prime - 2020 Black Series

ontarget7

WKR
The problem I’ve had with Prime the last few years is the vertical nock travel. A good portion of the time to shoot clean bareshafts you have to tweak cam synch and throw them out of synch. Certain cam systems that is fine but with theirs, it’s an immediate loss on the back end of the draw. Your let-off holding weight will climb and it will carry peak weight even longer in the draw cycle.

Moving to shims was actually a good move as you were very limited before depending on ones grip stance when trying to tune out lateral nock travel and not desiring a 1”+ centershot.

They’ve always had a very distinct sound on the shot and vibe, not the end of the world for some guys.

They do hold on target great !

They have a very good fit and finish but just haven’t been for me in the overall scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I would stick with the Centergy. I have owned a Defy, a Rival, and a Rize. All were exceptional bows, easy to tune, forgiving of arrow spine and broadhead selection. I bought a CT 3 last year and is has been the worst bow I ever owned. Won’t tune except with a overly soft spine arrow and a limb driven rest (Prime even told me this), and when you throw a broadhead on a soft spine arrow they wonkt group. I see nothing done to the Black series to change the basic design of the CT series other than the draw mods. I finally sent my CT3 back to Prime to see if I have a weak limb or something else going on. Regardless, I will be selling it when it comes back. Maybe its just my form and this bow, but I shoot every other bow I try perfectly.
I think you're the first person I've heard say this. I've talked to a lot of people about the CT series, none have mentioned that being an issue. 🤷‍♂️

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I think you're the first person I've heard say this. I've talked to a lot of people about the CT series, none have mentioned that being an issue. 🤷‍♂️
Its all over on other sites. Even some video reviews speak of it. I think if you have a good bow, you are golden, but some are just not tuning for people. Its not an isolated problem. My shop has the same issue, most tune, some won’t.
I sent mine back to Prime to be evaluated. When it returns with a clean bill of health, I’m selling it. I did not feel right about selling a bow I have had struggles tuning until I knew everything was right.

Stalker69

WKR
Dang I keep coming back here to see who, and read how, the new primes actually are after someone has been shooting them a while. And nothing ? Are they taking a while to get, or not many buying them ?

snake913

FNG
Dang I keep coming back here to see who, and read how, the new primes actually are after someone has been shooting them a while. And nothing ? Are they taking a while to get, or not many buying them ?
Order mine on Nov. 11 and still waiting.

Nfactor

FNG
I have a prime defy currently (darn good bow)was looking at getting another prime... sounds like I will wait

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I have a prime defy currently (darn good bow)was looking at getting another prime... sounds like I will wait

If I based my bow buying off of all the random reviews, I'd probably still own a Mathews or Hoyt.

Go shoot one of the new Primes, let that be your determining factor.

Ears

FNG
I've been a Bowtech guy for years. Shot the Centergy Hybrid LD this year and liked it a lot. It was a toss up between that and my Realm X.

I ordered a Black 5 to try out this next year. I went with the 5 for longer ATA, as my draw length is 31 1/2"

MMB1

FNG
Still prefer the Centergy and Centergy Hybrid. I have the hybrid in 80# limbs and its the smoothest pulling 80 there is.

bcpody

FNG
As the owner of a Black 5 for almost a year. I would say this bow is a shooter, if you know how to shoot. That being said, it takes a bit to get the feel for the bow. A "good bow" a "bad bow", that's as subjective as saying one likes Ford or Chevrolet. Upon getting used to the bow, that means you put in time for it. 5 shots at a pro shop is not a way to "test" a bow. I drug this thing over 30 miles in MT in September and it took it all in stride. That being said, I do shoot a 31" draw at 80 lbs with the draw stops set hotter than normal - I am on the very spearhead of what one can get out of the bow.

I am very pleased with the bow when I am on. A little off and it lets you know which is ANY bow, period.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
As the owner of a Black 5 for almost a year. I would say this bow is a shooter, if you know how to shoot. That being said, it takes a bit to get the feel for the bow. A "good bow" a "bad bow", that's as subjective as saying one likes Ford or Chevrolet. Upon getting used to the bow, that means you put in time for it. 5 shots at a pro shop is not a way to "test" a bow. I drug this thing over 30 miles in MT in September and it took it all in stride. That being said, I do shoot a 31" draw at 80 lbs with the draw stops set hotter than normal - I am on the very spearhead of what one can get out of the bow.

I am very pleased with the bow when I am on. A little off and it lets you know which is ANY bow, period.
I totally agree, I get so tired of people saying, "go shoot all the bows." Probably the dumbest catch phrase in archery.

Sled

WKR
I totally agree, I get so tired of people saying, "go shoot all the bows." Probably the dumbest catch phrase in archery.
if i could do it i would. it is good advice but not practical for many. like you, i'm in utah. i was unable to go shoot many of the bows i wanted to try because archery shops around here apparantly have term limits. usually shut down after a couple seasons. the ones that survive don't carry everything.

with regard to the limited amount of time you have with a bow in the shop, that's just how it is. bring the one home you like the best and send her down the road if things don't work out. that's why you date before you get married.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
if i could do it i would. it is good advice but not practical for many. like you, i'm in utah. i was unable to go shoot many of the bows i wanted to try because archery shops around here apparantly have term limits. usually shut down after a couple seasons. the ones that survive don't carry everything.

with regard to the limited amount of time you have with a bow in the shop, that's just how it is. bring the one home you like the best and send her down the road if things don't work out. that's why you date before you get married.
I think first thing people should do is figure out the specs they want. This will disqualify a lot of bows. Then narrow it down by shooting the contenders. I mostly only have a problem with this when experienced shooters tell newbs that this is how they are supposed to choose a bow. New archers have no idea what they are supposed to get from firing multiple bows at five feet. This is how Mathews sells 28 inch bows.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I am a lefty and always wanted to try a Prime. Right when covid hit, I was messing on Ebay on night and got a steal on a 60# Black 3. I wanted a 70#, but for $550, I couldn't pass it up, figured I would play with it for several months and sell it, which I did.

I loved, the adjustable draw cams, and also the stops. You could tweak it to however you desire with ease. Once timed, I was dead in the hand, no vibe, no noise with only a rest. The bow shot great, and it had the best finnish on a camo bow I have ever had.

At the end of the day, I really saw no benefit of double cams, and a 7 piece string system is just really to busy for me.
It shot and held great, but no better than my Revolt-X or PSE NXT 33, so I figured I would just keep those instead of getting a 70# Black 3.

I really liked the bow, and am by no means trying to throw it under the bus.