Prime bows

I’m looking for a “new to me” bow and primes have caught my eye. I’m looking at the Ion, Centergy, Centergy Hybrid and Rize for the most part

How do these bows compared to one another? Things like draw cycle, bare bow weight, let-off etc.

Aside from prime, Athens and Mathews are also on the potential list

jcarrera

FNG
In my endless quest to find the right bow for me, I recently sold my RX3 ultra, and purchased a Prime Centergy 60-70 in 30.5 DL. The bow specs are pretty similar to the RX3 ultra. I also owned a Bowtech Realm X previous to this which is pretty comparable in spec. I don't care about the latest and greatest and don't mind going back a few model years to find what I think feels right.

Pros:

I like the grip better than on the Hoyt. I find the RX3 grip comfortable, but not as repeatable. I suspect this is due to the more contoured nature of the grip. I had the same issue with the wooden grip on my Defiant and I find I tend to induce more torque on the bow. This is evident to me on how much I have to fight the bubble on the sight. I find the Centergy grip on par with the Bowtech as far as flatness and repeatability. The Bowtech has some adjustability with the clutch system but I find the part of the shelf that touches your thumb to be slightly less comfortable than the prime.

The Centergy holds as steady as advertised and I find all the old reports of not really needing a stabilizer to be true. This to me has translated to better accuracy in a lighter package than the carbon. The Bowtech I felt needed a stab as it felt a bit jumpy without it.

I know carbon is extremely rigid but the prime does feel more rigid with less vibration at the shot even without a stabilizer. The bowtech always felt to me to be on par with the hoyt as far vibration. Also, I find myself fiddling less with the tune of the bow. Both Hoyt and Bowtech I felt "lost" their tune easier. This might have to do with the rigidity of the riser or just the fact I know it's supposed to be stiffer..

Cons:

At 33.25 A2A I feel the string angle is more pronounced than on the 34" RX3 Ultra. I wasn't expecting this from a 3/4" loss in over all length but I did notice it. Your milage may vary depending on your specific DL.
I did not notice this issue with the Realm X even though it is the same A2A as the Centergy.

The draw cycle I can only describe as more linear. It is very smooth but as confirmed by my draw board the weight is more constant through out the cycle. On the Hoyt, there was an initial build up achieving max weight right around 14-16" into the cycle with a steady decline from there until it found its hump and slight dump into the valley followed by a forgiving backwall.

The Centergy carries more weight through the cycle, I perceive no noticeable hump just an abrupt stop onto the backwall as I am running limb stops. The valley is very pronounced and it gives you a feeling of having to push forward to initiate drawing down, therefore feeling more aggressive on its way back then the Hoyt, which to me was more apt to coming forward and I felt more in control since I did not have to slack off as much.

The Bowtech was set on comfort mode and it was by far easier to draw. Even though the bow was maxed at 72# it felt to me like it was set at 65. It did have a hump and dump at the end but it was less noticeable than the hoyts. Drawing down also felt like drawing down on a lighter poundage bow.
Set on performance mode became more like the Prime. Even though it did not feel as heavy, to me everything was more pronounced. The weight was more constant, the hump and dump more noticeable and there was little to no valley to speak off, letting down felt much more aggressive than the Prime.

There is a peculiar sound to the Prime solid limb at the shot. I don't perceive it to be any louder than the other two bows, but just different. This might have something to do with the fact mine has ho dampeners at all. The other two did. The bowtech had a CoolhandLuke string stop which also aids in quieting things down. I purchsed limbsaver dampeners for the Centergy but have not installed them yet.

Conclusion:

I
like the stability of the Centergy enough to try the Hybrid. I believe my issue with the string angle can be resolved by the longer A2A even though at my draw length I have to go with the LD model which sports longer limbs and a 7" brace height. I suspect the speed advantages of a longer draw length will be negated by the longer limbs and higher brace height but I'd be foolish to think I can find a speed bow at 35" A2A. The Bowtech fills that task the best. It is by far the fastest, easiest to draw bow I've shot. It was plenty comfortable and very accurate. As trivial as it may sound, the aesthetics of the bow had a lot to do with me selling it.

I was really not a fan of its looks. The rather wide limbs and limb pockets seemed off to me. Very much why I don't like the CT line of Prime bows. Also I could not get the color I wanted and ended up with my least favorite color in Kryptec green with purple splotches. Ultimately that is mostly what compounds offer at this point in the game, subtle differences that allow for subjective assessments. Some bows do somethings slightly better than others but you have to find out if those things matter to you or not. I am happy playing with the old bows at much more affordable prices.

JBB111

FNG
I hurt my shoulder and wanted a lighter draw bow without spending too much so whatever was on sale. A local dealer was moving out the Price line so I ended up with a prime Centergy. I have owned Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, PSE & Elite. I found no difference in the quality of the Prime and the rest.

Best of luck.

I’m looking for a “new to me” bow and primes have caught my eye. I’m looking at the Ion, Centergy, Centergy Hybrid and Rize for the most part

How do these bows compared to one another? Things like draw cycle, bare bow weight, let-off etc.

Aside from prime, Athens and Mathews are also on the potential list
cant help you with feedback but I saw some really good deals on new primes here. ebay has some good deals too.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I have a VXR and a CT3 right now. CT3 is a stiffer draw for sure, but it feels good to me. I like the grip better on the CT3. The VXR is more difficult for me not to torque. Both bows hold great.

I like the CT3 so much that I’m really considering selling my VXR and buying a CT5 or black 5 to replace it with.

Can’t go wrong with a prime.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Centergy and a Rival. They are two of my favorite bows I have ever owned. The draw is a little smoother on the Rival, but both are nice and hold and shoot very well. I’ve also owned a few Matthews and several Bowtechs. Haven’t shot my Primes much recently as I’ve mostly went to trad after 30+ years of shooting compounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Centergy Hybrid I'm selling currently.

Of all the manufacturers, I had never owned a Prime. I had shot them at the ATA show several years ago and really liked them. I finally bought one and to be honest, I don't like it as much as I had hoped. It shoots well, but I don't shoot it as well as I have other bows in the past. That isn't to say you won't like it, the Centergy Hybrid has had a strong following since they came out.

I’ve been shooting a 2017 Hybrid for the past two seasons. I find that between the center grip, grip shape, and ATA it is one of the easiest bows for me to get on target fast and settle in. I do run 10” stab out front and a 6” back off the lower mount. I like a little extra weight to slow the pin float down. It is far from the best drawing bow I’ve shot, and I’ve tried out most of the flagships between now and then. However the confidence and feel of the shot have always been winners for me. I’m 6’3” and could not go back to a shorter ATA.

The sound is a little weird as mentioned above. My hunting buddy still gives me an odd look every time he hears it.

Jimbob

WKR
I was searching this spring and prime was top of my list. Then I went and shot a Mathews and started researching them. I always shot Hoyt but was open to anything. Just comparing specs and reviews online and shopping used I ended going with a Mathews vertix.

I love the Vertix and I'm very happy with my choice. The switchweight cam is awesome, I added side plates so the grip is perfect. Needed to drop a 1/2" in draw length mod to get the right length though (my vertix runs a 1/2" long)

Good luck with your search.

Rsmiley

FNG
Just picked up a logic ct3 Monday and only have about 300 shots through but I am a big fan. I shot the revolt as well but I found it tough to pull back and didn’t fit me as well. I am at a 29.5 dl. I updated from an old bow tech liberty so I think I would have been happy with any of the new bows but the primer just seemed to fit me.

I shot an Alloy for a few years before grabbing a Centergy, had a Hoyt Hyperforce in between and shot Mathews prior to the Alloy. The Centergy feels the best of anything I've shot and holds steady...and it's loud, but man is that thing easy to tune.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 Centergy Hybrid that is the only bow I've owned that doesn't require any front stabilization. It just balances great. I still don't run a front stab and on a good day I can lay fixed broadheads into 5" groups at 80 yards.

I only run a stub weight off the lower left side of the riser to counter a loaded quiver.

I may end up buying a Black 5 in the next few years, but I doubt I'll part with my Hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've got 2 Rivals, 3 Rizes, a Centergy Hybrid, Mathews Halon 32, Mathews Vertix and a few Obsessions.. The Primes all shoot lights out.. The Rivals and Rizes with the PCXL cams are awesome bows.. For what you'd have to pay for a used Prime you can't go wrong.. The fit/finish and overall engineering are excellent..

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
I just transitioned from Trad to a compound. The past 3-4 years I have taken some time to shoot different compounds. I always came back to Prime, namely the Centergy hybrid. This year I picked up the Prime Black 5, love the balance of the bow. The Mathews VXR 31.5 is nice too but the Prime product kept drawing me back.

overall, I like the grip, the balance and the consistent draw to the back wall. I’m still getting settled in with the bow but it’s been so much fun to shoot and tune. The free strings for life is nice too. I’m sure all the bows are good products, best of luck man!

Sled

WKR
well, i got to shoot a new prime black 33 at the TAC snowbasin last week. my first thought is that it shoots nice with the exception of the nasty vibe at the end of the shot. it was the same as the logic i shot when i purchased my triax. the only difference is that they now come with adjustable draw lengths out to 32" if i recall correctly. if they ever get the vibration figured out it will be a nice bow. there's just no reason to have that much hand shock in a new bow these days unless it is way out of tune.

fwiw, the rep said that was their new #1 goal, to reduce the vibration in their next riser.

well, i got to shoot a new prime black 33 at the TAC snowbasin last week. my first thought is that it shoots nice with the exception of the nasty vibe at the end of the shot. it was the same as the logic i shot when i purchased my triax. the only difference is that they now come with adjustable draw lengths out to 32" if i recall correctly. if they ever get the vibration figured out it will be a nice bow. there's just no reason to have that much hand shock in a new bow these days unless it is way out of tune.

We’re you shooting lighter weight arrows? When I’ve shot them at shops they always give me some go fast super light arrow to try out and a heavier GPI has been way better. Although I’m not sure I’d say I’ve ever experienced hand shock bad enough to dislike the bow. The primes do make an interesting sound.

Sled

WKR
We’re you shooting lighter weight arrows? When I’ve shot them at shops they always give me some go fast super light arrow to try out and a heavier GPI has been way better. Although I’m not sure I’d say I’ve ever experienced hand shock bad enough to dislike the bow. The primes do make an interesting sound.

this last time i shot my arrows. 430gr easton hexx. not sure what i shot at the pro shop. my previous prime bows were all quiet enough when tuned and never had a really bad vibe. just not mathews smooth. the closest prime to that was a rize that i shot several years back. at that time my only complaint was the DL specific cams.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
5” at 80?!! Dang...

Off a whisker biscuit, no less, but only if I'm doing my part.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the Black 1, love it so far.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk