Primer Lifespan

Humboldt

FNG
What is the life expectancy for primers? I have several thousand (Fed Match Grade) that were stored in a barn inside a Peli case.
Temperatures ranged from the 20s to well over a hundred for about 10 years.
I tested a few and they seemed ok.
Just wondering if I should replace them for "the hunt of a lifetime."

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
What is the life expectancy for primers? I have several thousand (Fed Match Grade) that were stored in a barn inside a Peli case.
Temperatures ranged from the 20s to well over a hundred for about 10 years.
I tested a few and they seemed ok.
Just wondering if I should replace them for "the hunt of a lifetime."
For the hunt of a lifetime... Yes... Don't pitch them, but don't rely on them for a once in a lifetime opportunity

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Designate them to load development rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used some 15 year old primers for load development for my "rarely in a lifetime" Alaska hunt this year. I spent over 100 of the batch in load development, zeroing, and practice with no issues, so they went into the hunting loads. I fired 3 rounds at two awesome animals and had no issues. If you have easy access to new stuff, great. If not, dance with the ones that brung ya.

OP
H

Humboldt

FNG
Where did you order them from?
Natchez had the Federal Match Grade available. I suggest getting on Discord if you're not already. They notify you when stuff is available. I've had not trouble getting components over the last year or so.

KHNC

WKR
Natchez had the Federal Match Grade available. I suggest getting on Discord if you're not already. They notify you when stuff is available. I've had not trouble getting components over the last year or so.
You sure you didnt order large mag PISTOL primers? Thats all i see they have in stock.

BFR

WKR
I’ve been using some CCI large rifle primers I got at a yard sale 5-6 years ago, don’t know how old they are but the price sticker says .99. So far they’ve all gone bang.

KHNC

WKR
I’ve been using some CCI large rifle primers I got at a yard sale 5-6 years ago, don’t know how old they are but the price sticker says .99. So far they’ve all gone bang.
Ill give you 2 dollars for 100 of them. lol

Reactions: BFR

BFR

WKR
Ill give you 2 dollars for 100 of them. lol

LOL, seeing as I’ve already made more on stuff I’ve sold than I paid for the rest of the it that’s $2 clear profit………..but I’m gonna pass, having too much fun with them going bang.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a brick of Herters large rifle mag primers off a guy last summer. The box is marked 1968. Shot about 100 of them so far and they match the Velocity I’m getting with my 20+ year old 9 1/2 mag primers in my 7mm RM. Beat that! Haha

Attachments

• 99F63E75-4095-43F6-AEDA-0BE836A22DA0.jpeg
    99F63E75-4095-43F6-AEDA-0BE836A22DA0.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 10