Primos alpha dog

Ridge86

WKR
What does everyone think of this call in comparison to the foxpro shockwave? How’s the sound

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
My old hunting partner had the primos. The remote wouldn’t work below freezing. He would have to keep it inside his jacket. Range wasn’t very good. The sound quality doesn’t even rival foxpros lowest priced call. The only reason we even carried it around was for some reason foxes absolutely loved a couple sounds he had from tony tebbe. One was cotton tail candy I believe.

I’ve owned a Cs24, fusion, and shockwave. All three are second to none. I’m selling my shockwave this year and either getting the x-wave or the cs24c.

If you can justify the cost for your personal needs I don’t see any reason not to go with a Foxpro. I don’t know one person that hunts competitively without sponsorship not using a Foxpro. My $0.02

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the Primos Alpha Dogg for about 5 seasons on a weekly basis. It has been great. The remote is easy to use, the range is really good and the sounds are good too. The only weakness it has that I've found is the display on the remote is very bright and at night it will blind you.

jmav58

WKR
I've also got the Alpha Dogg and really like it. The sound quality isn't Foxpro especially the howls and coyote vocals but I've called in several coyotes in areas that get called often so it seems more which call and time of year that matters most. It's loud and cuts through wind which is great. The range is impacted most by how well you can see the call. I've had it 170 yards away but you have to be in direct line with it, can't have a slight rise in the way or it won't work. As far as the display being blinding, you can switch to night mode in the settings. I recommend this call.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
Mine sounds a bit distorted at higher volumes (over 50/100) especially with coyote vocals.
On thing that is strange with mine is the remote doesn't like to turn off, it will power down but turn itself right back on again quite frequently. Not a big deal, just annoying at times.

litewings

FNG
My Alpha Dogg has the same exact problems as MikeG. New 2 months ago so contacting Primos for service. Have called in a few otherwise.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
My Alpha Dogg has the same exact problems as MikeG. New 2 months ago so contacting Primos for service. Have called in a few otherwise.
I'd be interested in what they tell you. Mine has done it from day one. I just consider it an inconvenience so I haven't done anything about it.

Genograusam

Lil-Rokslider
Had an Alpha dog and it worked great... When it was working. Cold temps made the remote real weak. Learned to use lithium AA batteries for better sound quality and longer calling life on the batteries. Found a smokin' deal on a Foxpro Fusion, so I "upgraded". Love the Foxpro, but the Fusion is nowhere near as loud. Love the coyote sounds on the Alpha Dogg better than the Foxpro. Foxpro is easier to program, in my opinion. Both great callers, but I'll be getting a Foxpro Shockwave next and have the best of both world.

Genograusam

Lil-Rokslider
Mine sounds a bit distorted at higher volumes (over 50/100) especially with coyote vocals.
On thing that is strange with mine is the remote doesn't like to turn off, it will power down but turn itself right back on again quite frequently. Not a big deal, just annoying at times.
I had the same issue with my remote. I'd have to pop out a battery to get it to shut off. I did find out that using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries all but cured the crackling sounds. About $15 for a set of AAs for the caller and remote, but it was worth it. I now own a Foxpro Fusion. I find it easier to program and the remote is much more user-friendly, but I do wish that I wouldn't have sold my Alpha Dogg. Great caller for the money.

litewings

FNG
Only experience with the Alpha Dog. Had some remote issues when colder (below 20 degrees) sound has been OK, Some tracks have more distortion than others.

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
Cousin had one, wasn’t impressed. Speaker sounded distorted especially coyote vocals at high volume. And the remote was always an issue. Go with lucky duck or fox pro

R

Raizmup

Absolutely no comparison to a Foxpro. I've hunted with both and side by side. Will they work, absolutely. But to my ears Foxpro sounds better. To a coyote?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I had a turbo dogg, for whatever reason they quit linking up (the unit and the remote) PRIMOS customer service was about as helpful as football bat. So there's that, get the foxpro

I had the alpha dog and seems like you have to change the batteries every 4 stands. Gets very distorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk