Primus Micronlatern

Manosteel

WKR
Anyone ever use the Primus micronlatern?

It looks real interesting. It is light weight (4.1oz) uses the same gas canister as your jetboil type stoves and it gives off enough heat to warm a backpack tent. It is also supposed to give off the soft sound of a lantern burning similar to the old colmens I grew up with, a bonus in my view, very comforting.

Is it as good as it sounds? Is it practical?

gulicemo

Banned
I have one. They are cool. Don't take it hunting, as I usually get to camp, eat dinner and go to sleep. But on 'back packing' trips where weight is less of a concern, it's a cool little unit to have. Never used it more than a couple nights in a row, so I couldn't tell you a fuel consumption rate.

stephen b

WKR
Have not used that model, but I have used another Primus globe model that weighs a couple oz. more (the EasyLight) and I really like it. Have mostly used it while winter camping and also base camp. The EasyLight model burns for a Long time and gives off nice heat. It works fantastic in a small tent (well ventilated of course) to really warm things up at night and in the AM. In that respect, I find it is like having a heating stove with you that really takes the chill off when needed. And of course- in it's use as a Lantern- it gives off a real nice light.

I know when I am camping in the snow and it is chilly outside; whether I am by myself, or with someone else- that little lantern provides a few good positive points. Light, heat, and a nice glow which can create a nice atmosphere. Is it a woodstove?, no- but it can be kind of like a somewhat similar deal. I know when I am winter backpacking; if I end up taking it- it is one of my favorite things I have in my pack.

Whisky

WKR
I have the Primus Microlantern. I use it at night for cooking and eating and getting crap ready the next day, and then again in the morning to get ready, quickly. It does produce heat, and it does have that lantern sound to it. You certainly notice the heat when it's right around freezing and above. But if it's 20ish or below, the little lantern don't throw out enough heat to really tell IMO.

A full Jetpower weighs 7.1oz. After 3 nights and 3 mornings of running the lantern, the same canister weighed 4.5oz. Three 16oz boils with my Jetboil Sol Ti, and that canister weighed 6.3 oz, for comparison.

Weight with the case is 4.9 oz on my scale...If you get one for backpacking, it will definitely require you to carry extra fuel.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
I know when I am camping in the snow and it is chilly outside; whether I am by myself, or with someone else- that little lantern provides a few good positive points. Light, heat, and a nice glow which can create a nice atmosphere. Is it a woodstove?, no- but it can be kind of like a somewhat similar deal. I know when I am winter backpacking; if I end up taking it- it is one of my favorite things I have in my pack.

This is what I would be using it for, I think I will pick one up.

Thanks for all the input.