Prince William Sound Deer

Weber

FNG
FNG here, looking to do a Green Island Hunt this November. I'm taking out some real fresh guys who haven't spent any serious time hunting, so not dealing with bears, the alpine, or the bigger islands (hard to get lost on Green) is ideal.

Does anyone have good strategies for hunting these flatter small islands? Doesn't seem like they offer much up in terms of glassing opportunities. I have good bino's (Razor UHD's) for spotting them in the outskirts.

Still hunting vs a low and slow approach?

Anyone found any repeatable success?

Literally, any tips or advice are helpful.

I've heard good things about Dropshot Calls and AKTIS Calls but seems like mostly from people in Prince of Wales. Curious if anyone has experience in PWS with them.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted several islands in PWS, but never hit Green. How are you getting there, transporter? Calls have been hit or miss for me. I’ve found deer movement to be unpredictable, so I mix spot and stalk with still hunting.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be up the last week of October doing the same. Going to shoot seaducks for a couple days and deer for a couple days. If you avoid the islands with brown beards what are the odds of stumbling on a black that’s not in a den yet?

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Most my time on the other islands has been closer to September and they were littered everywhere. I saw more black bears on Knight Island in September than I've seen my entire life collectively. They were so busy gorging on fish that didnt give a rat's ass about me though. I got with 50yds of one on accident and it barely noticed me. That being said I haven't seen them in october and potentially hubgier.

I've done green that time of year and I can tell you it was 40 degrees out. Plenty warm enough to be out and about. Also hunted that area that time of year with blowing snow and 10 degrees. It varies such. I'd plan for bears, but again, I dont really take chances with them.

Last edited:

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Most my time on the other islands has been closer to September and they were littered everywhere. I saw more black bears on Knight Island in September than I've seen my entire life collectively. They were so busy gorging on fish that didnt give a rat's ass about me though. I got with 50yds of one on accident and it barely noticed me. That being said I haven't seen them in october and potentially hungrier. I hunted knight with a partner and brought my .458 SOCOM. To each their own but I dont f* around with bears.
Dang right, I’ll be bringing a bear tag.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Montague or knight depending on the weather. Potentially hinch if the other two haven't been successful prior to our hunt.

Sawdog

FNG
Hunted Montague last Oct and it was amazing. Lots of bear sign though our group only saw the one grizz and was a huge bear. Everyone who saw it - I did not - said it was the biggest bear they ever saw. Named it Bruiser. It gave the hunter a false charge and he sent it a warning shot which the didnt really phase the bear. Shot some deer and missed a few more.

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Bumping for 2022. Who's going out?

Alaska Good time Charters was a great experience for a drop off charter, but sounds like he is not doing them this season.

I pulled a decent buck and a doe out last year. Hoping to make it out again this year but I dont have a group to split a drop off with.

Cooper

FNG
I’m doing some scrambling research right now for some deer. Unfortunately my boats only 16ft so I’m limited as to how far out I can go

16' yikes! dont end up like the people last year who took out the 18' lund and ended up in 5' seas. I am too nervous to get out as far as the deer are in my 22' raider. Generally only go out about 5-17 miles and shoot ducks. One day if the stars align i will make it out to knight. I am not sure there is even huntable numbers until you get out to culross island or perry and from what i herd those are pretty slim pickins for how close they are.

Homer

FNG
I’m doing some scrambling research right now for some deer. Unfortunately my boats only 16ft so I’m limited as to how far out I can go
My advice would be to hire a transporter. A 16foot boat is just too small to take out especially this time of year. I have a 22ft sea runner with a cab and am not willing to go far enough out to deer hunt in that in the fall.

My advice would be to hire a transporter. A 16foot boat is just too small to take out especially this time of year. I have a 22ft sea runner with a cab and am not willing to go far enough out to deer hunt in that in the fall.

Wise advice. Hell, it used to almost always be white knuckles for me to run my 22' set-net skiff across Cook Inlet in July. I couldn't imagine trying to run from Whittier to Montague in it, at this time of year.