Prioritizing gear purchases

Boots, Make sure they are broken in well and are waterproof, Treat them before your trip.

Pack - A Kifaru would be nice but if you need to just Buy an ILBE military pack for $100 on ebay and you will be fine. You're young and tough. It will be one Shitty day but you'll have an elk so you'll be happy. You could spend this money on a good Sleep system and be more happy.

Socks - buy 2 pair of Darn tough and don't look back

Merino base layers - the Black Ovis is good and will be on sale on camofire at some point

Mid layer - I'm sure you already own a fleece - this will work

Puffy - Any cheap down puffy will work and they seem to be on sale everywhere these days

Rain gear - get some stuff on sale.

Sleep System - You need a good insulated pad, don't skimp, sleep is importnat and nothing will take the lead out of your pencil like a sleepless shivering nigh. The pad is just as important as a good bag and it's cheaper to get into a good one. I'd rather have a $120 Pad and a $100 bag than a cheapo Pad and a $500 Bag. I have a Nemo Tensor insulated pad and like it alot. The Mountain Hardware Lamina-Z bags are cheap and good for a Synthetic bag.

NEMO Tensor Insulated Air Pad | REI Co-op

Share a shelter with your buddy. You can save a lot of cash and be very comfortable if you want to sleep by the truck in a walmart tent with a propane heater. For your first hunt out west I might make more sense to do this and see if you both really like it before you go drop $700+ on a floorless shelter and a TI stove.

Camo doesn't mater for rifle hunting just stick to natural colors and nothing really bright. Looks at Steepandcheap.com and REI outlet for good deals.

When on a budget, you can get everything you need, it just won't be the lightest thing out there and you wont have the cool camo patterns.

- - - Updated - - -

First Aid Bag- tourniquette, pressure bandage, compressed guaze, super glue, Various Band Aids, Duct Tape, Electrical Tape, Luco Tape, Alcohol wipes, pain med, altitude meds, stomach meds, benedryl, Sleep meds (own all this)

First aid looks heavy, I'd drop the bolded items

"pain med, altitude meds, stomach meds, benedryl, Sleep meds" You're hunting Colorado, A few grams of weed can solve all these issues

Last edited:

Bl704

WKR
2019 First Rifle Elk Colorado
Gear List

Tag- $650
Boots- Cabelas Meindl uninsulated hunting/hiking boot. (own) -I will test these in the coming months to be sure i trust them.
Pack- Kifaru Reckoning or EXO 3500 or Mystery Ranch Metcalf- $500-$700
Pack Fly/Pack Liner/Dry Bag/Contractor Bag- $50 NEED ADVICE HERE
Game Bags- TAG BOMB bags (considering)- $70
Battery Charger for phone and possibly headlamp (considering)- $20 ADVICE?
Stove- Jetboil, MSR- $100- might share with partner since we will be together
Stove Fuel- butane canister- $20
Spork- long handle
Hydration opt 1- gravity filter and 2-3 bladders - $80 -Is this bad idea given time of year and elevation?
Hydration opt 2- nalgene and steripen and aqua mere (bladder?)- $70
Spotter- borrowing Leupold spot scope (free)
Binos- Leupold 10X50 (own)
Ranger- Leupold 100 range finder (own)
Bino Harness- Alaskan Guide Kodiac Cub (own)
Lense care- wipes and cleaning pen (own)
Pillow- ? suggestions?
Sleep bag- Kelty Tuck 0 Degree (considering)- $110
Sleep Pad- Kelty Galactic (considering)- $70
Shelter- sharing buddy’s Seek stove tent or regular 2 man tent with partner depending on weather
Hammock- possible depending on weather (own) -Does anyone use a hammock in the mountains? i sleep like a baby in a hammock! can it work?
Trek poles- Kelty Scree (considering)- $70
Dry bag- Outdoor research 55L bag or smaller sizes (considering)- $40
Gun- Rem 7mmRM, 160 gr Accubond, 20 rounds (own) -Is this too much ammo?
Blaze- vest, hat and beanie (own)
Contractor bags- (own)
Blades- pocket knife (own), 2 custom skinning knives (own), lightweight stone (own)
Saw- breaking down elk carcass?
550 chord- 50 foot reflective chord (own)
Seasoning- cooking fresh tenderloins
Fire- Bic lighter, flint and steel, matches, tender
Nav- map, compass, back up compass, watch, OnX Maps
Wind Checker
Headlamp- Black diamond Storm- $50, bringing a back up lamp of one I already own
Flashlight- surefire scout (own)
Batteries- spare AAAs for lamp
Chap stick
Deodorant
Coolers
- own
Carabiners- 3 for various things (own)
Zip ties- own
Hand warmers- depending on forecast, only if very cold

First Aid Bag- tourniquette, pressure bandage, compressed guaze, super glue, Various Band Aids, Duct Tape, Electrical Tape, Luco Tape, Alcohol wipes, pain med, altitude meds, stomach meds, benedryl, Sleep meds (own all this)

Clothing
Base layer- considering black ovis underwear ($28), pants ($65), quarter zip ($67) and zip hoodie ($79)
Pants- considering Outdoor Research Voodoo pants ($100)
Mid Layer Tops- various fleece and wool tops (own)
Vest- Cabelas Wooltimate Guide vest (own)
Rain Jacket- consideringOutdoor Research Foray Jacket ($215)
Rain Pants- considering Outdoor Research Foray Pants ($175)
Puffy- considering Outdoor Research Transcendent Jacket ($200)
Boot Gaiters- suggestions?
Neck Gaiter- own
Beanie/Hat- own
Gloves- First Lite merino glove liners (own), need mittens suggestions?
Socks- currently own many Smartwool medium weight merino socks and use daily. suggestions?

i am looking at alot of Kelty and Outdoor research because i get a slight discount there. i am very open to suggestions with exception of big items that i already own obviously. trying to as budget minded as possible but i also understand some things cannot be skimped on...thank yall!
Contractor bags- if you have an Ollie's check there usually they have a 10 or 20cnt box cheap.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Boots, Make sure they are broken in well and are waterproof, Treat them before your trip.

Pack - A Kifaru would be nice but if you need to just Buy an ILBE military pack for $100 on ebay and you will be fine. You're young and tough. It will be one Shitty day but you'll have an elk so you'll be happy. You could spend this money on a good Sleep system and be more happy. something to consider...thank you

Socks - buy 2 pair of Darn tough and don't look back any particular model?

Merino base layers - the Black Ovis is good and will be on sale on camofire at some point

Mid layer - I'm sure you already own a fleece - this will work

Puffy - Any cheap down puffy will work and they seem to be on sale everywhere these days

Rain gear - get some stuff on sale.

Sleep System - You need a good insulated pad, don't skimp, sleep is importnat and nothing will take the lead out of your pencil like a sleepless shivering nigh. The pad is just as important as a good bag and it's cheaper to get into a good one. I'd rather have a $120 Pad and a $100 bag than a cheapo Pad and a $500 Bag. I have a Nemo Tensor insulated pad and like it alot. The Mountain Hardware Lamina-Z bags are cheap and good for a Synthetic bag. makes sense. i may do some shuffling around here

NEMO Tensor Insulated Air Pad | REI Co-op

Share a shelter with your buddy. You can save a lot of cash and be very comfortable if you want to sleep by the truck in a walmart tent with a propane heater. For your first hunt out west I might make more sense to do this and see if you both really like it before you go drop $700+ on a floorless shelter and a TI stove. well $$$ isn't as much of an issue with him and he already bought it so i ain't complaining

Camo doesn't mater for rifle hunting just stick to natural colors and nothing really bright. Looks at Steepandcheap.com and REI outlet for good deals.

When on a budget, you can get everything you need, it just won't be the lightest thing out there and you wont have the cool camo patterns. noted...that's what i'm finding

- - - Updated - - -

First aid looks heavy, I'd drop the bolded items
thank you

- - - Updated - - -

"pain med, altitude meds, stomach meds, benedryl, Sleep meds" You're hunting Colorado, A few grams of weed can solve all these issues[/QUOTE]

heard that lol

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I see a lot of great suggestions. One I would add myself is a good set of Gators. Won't hunt without them, unless no chance of snow or wet!

UtahJimmy

WKR
Personally, I couldn't bring myself to spend 400 on a rain suit. It will be in the bottom of your bag for 95% of the time. 100 Max would be my budget, especially if you don't have one already (you've made it this far without one...).

Use the savings on a great sleep system. Kelty will work, but you'll be wanting to upgrade in a season or two. But honestly, no way in HELL I would buy the two Kelty items you listed. A 5# pad and 6# bag is ridiculous.

Your boots are good to go.

Regarding the puffy, I'm all about utility. Costco puffers will work great, but if it makes you feel better to spend 200 on a puffy, it's your money!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I haven't elk hunted CO but I have in a handful of places in MT and WY. My advice would be to car camp instead of backpacking camp in. Until you know exactly where you want to be and have some experience, i think packing in camp will cause more challenges than benefits. Doing this gives you more freedom to move to different areas and you don't need to buy a bunch of lightweight expensive backpacking gear before you figure out how you really want to hunt. You can get plenty of the mountain experience hunting out of a car camp.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I couldn't bring myself to spend 400 on a rain suit. It will be in the bottom of your bag for 95% of the time. 100 Max would be my budget, especially if you don't have one already (you've made it this far without one...).

Use the savings on a great sleep system. Kelty will work, but you'll be wanting to upgrade in a season or two. But honestly, no way in HELL I would buy the two Kelty items you listed. A 5# pad and 6# bag is ridiculous.

Your boots are good to go.

Regarding the puffy, I'm all about utility. Costco puffers will work great, but if it makes you feel better to spend 200 on a puffy, it's your money!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So what should my strategy be in rainy weather? Pitch tent and wait it out? I was also planning to use the rain gear as a wind barrier for Emergency warmth. If that's a terrible idea tell me.

My mind has already been persuaded away from the kelty pad. And I will likely not spend more than $100 on the puffy. Thanks for the insight

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't elk hunted CO but I have in a handful of places in MT and WY. My advice would be to car camp instead of backpacking camp in. Until you know exactly where you want to be and have some experience, i think packing in camp will cause more challenges than benefits. Doing this gives you more freedom to move to different areas and you don't need to buy a bunch of lightweight expensive backpacking gear before you figure out how you really want to hunt. You can get plenty of the mountain experience hunting out of a car camp.

Only reason we are backpacking in is bc my friend hunted this unit last year and has some knowledge of the area. We very well might camp at the truck a few nights but want to be able to pack in if needed.

added comments that should save some weight/money.

2019 First Rifle Elk Colorado
Gear List

Tag- $650
Boots- Cabelas Meindl uninsulated hunting/hiking boot. (own) -I will test these in the coming months to be sure i trust them.
Pack- Kifaru Reckoning or EXO 3500 or Mystery Ranch Metcalf- $500-$700 Should be able to get a used Exo or Seek Outside (i prefer to Kifaru) for $4-500.
Pack Fly/Pack Liner/Dry Bag/Contractor Bag- $50 NEED ADVICE HERE Contractor bag is fine
Game Bags- TAG BOMB bags (considering)- $7 Tag are good, can get the Black Ovis knock offs for a little cheaper on camofire and they are just as good far as I can tell.
Battery Charger for phone and possibly headlamp (considering)- $20 ADVICE? This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078S3QNM9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power Bank Testing Results - Backpacking Light

Stove- Jetboil, MSR- $100- might share with partner since we will be together
Stove Fuel- butane canister- $20
Spork- long handle
Hydration opt 1- gravity filter and 2-3 bladders - $80 -Is this bad idea given time of year and elevation?
Hydration opt 2- nalgene and steripen and aqua mere (bladder?)- $70
Spotter- borrowing Leupold spot scope (free)
Binos- Leupold 10X50 (own)
Ranger- Leupold 100 range finder (own)
Bino Harness- Alaskan Guide Kodiac Cub (own)
Lense care- wipes and cleaning pen (own)
Pillow- ? suggestions? I bought a sea to summit inflatable that does the trick. I say car camp and bring a regular one.
Sleep bag- Kelty Tuck 0 Degree (considering)- $110
Sleep Pad- Kelty Galactic (considering)- $70
Shelter- sharing buddy’s Seek stove tent or regular 2 man tent with partner depending on weather
Hammock- possible depending on weather (own) -Does anyone use a hammock in the mountains? i sleep like a baby in a hammock! can it work?
Trek poles- Kelty Scree (considering)- $70 Get these instead for less money https://andrewskurka.com/2015/long-term-review-cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-poles/
Dry bag- Outdoor research 55L bag or smaller sizes (considering)- $40 I can fit my 20 degree WM down bag, bivy, and pillow with room to spare in 18L roll top bags. That is overkill. A strong zip lock bag works fine for little things at first.
Gun- Rem 7mmRM, 160 gr Accubond, 20 rounds (own) -Is this too much ammo? I wouldn't bring more than 10-12 if packing in. I typically only have 6-7 on a day hunt.
Blaze- vest, hat and beanie (own)
Contractor bags- (own)
Blades- pocket knife (own), 2 custom skinning knives (own), lightweight stone (own)
Saw- breaking down elk carcass? don't need, never used one
550 chord- 50 foot reflective chord (own)
Seasoning- cooking fresh tenderloins
Fire- Bic lighter, flint and steel, matches, tender
Nav- map, compass, back up compass, watch, OnX Maps
Wind Checker
Headlamp- Black diamond Storm- $50, bringing a back up lamp of one I already own
Flashlight- surefire scout (own)
Batteries- spare AAAs for lamp
Chap stick
Deodorant
Coolers
- own
Carabiners- 3 for various things (own)
Zip ties- own
Hand warmers- depending on forecast, only if very cold

Clothing
Base layer- considering black ovis underwear ($28), pants ($65), quarter zip ($67) and zip hoodie ($791) Get either the quarter zip or zip hoody, both is redundant.
Pants- considering Outdoor Research Voodoo pants ($100)
Mid Layer Tops- various fleece and wool tops (own)
Vest- Cabelas Wooltimate Guide vest (own)
Rain Jacket- consideringOutdoor Research Foray Jacket ($215)
Rain Pants- considering Outdoor Research Foray Pants
Puffy- considering Outdoor Research Transcendent Jacket ($200) Saw a higher quality kryptek hoody for $150 on camofire yesterday
Boot Gaiters- suggestions? Kuiu - Id get these before rain pants, more likely to want/need them.
Neck Gaiter- own
Beanie/Hat- own
Gloves- First Lite merino glove liners (own), need mittens suggestions?
Socks- currently own many Smartwool medium weight merino socks and use daily. suggestions? Darn tough full cushion hiking are my go to in a drawer with First light, smart wool, farm to feet, etc.

i am looking at alot of Kelty and Outdoor research because i get a slight discount there. i am very open to suggestions with exception of big items that i already own obviously. trying to as budget minded as possible but i also understand some things cannot be skimped on...thank yall!

Mosby

WKR
Just like others have said, if I was staying on the mountain, I would invest in a good sleeping bag, a good insulated air mattress and a decent tent. I wouldn't go cheap here. I wouldn't worry about a spotting scope personally, assuming your not trophy hunting. You need an orange vest and hat for first rifle, so I wouldn't worry about camo either. I would get some decent base and mid layers to wear. Those Meindels will work fine. A good pack, some game bags and a small cook kit and your ready to go. As an aside, where I hunt in Colorado doesn't have a water source on the mountain. We have to bring ours with us. Some areas have good water sources, some don't. Something to double check.

Okhotnik

WKR
I'd bring a roll of gorilla tape for repairs, first aid etc, wrap a bunch around a small stick and throw in pack, wet wipes to clean up, and I think better trekking poles for same price. Black diamond flip locks. I'd bring a spare rifle scope to leave in truck in case either one of you fall break scope. Wool balaclava. I like first lite. I like or crocodile gaiters. Print out a map of area to carry with you

Lots of good suggestions

bignocks

FNG
Maybe this has been mentioned already but not everything has to be camo. Sometimes items like puffy or layering pieces, rain gear etc you might think about going with non hunting items. I recently bought a thin puffy from sams club for going under a jacket when its really cold. For 30 bucks its hard to beat. So depending on your hunting style and needs you can find some great deals if your willing to buy things outside the hunting box.

LaHunter

WKR
You could do without the saw and the deodorant. You don't need a saw to break down an elk, and deodorant will be useless.
Wet wipes can come in handy.

Jimss

WKR
I would advise investing your hard earned $ on the necessities. I would also recommend updating the items that weigh the most and will make your trip a lot more comfortable. Some items may offer more weight/bulk reduction plus comfort. Everyone is a little different but things to come to mind when talking about weight plus comfort are the essentials: boots, pack, sleeping bag, rain jacket/pants, tripod, binos, spotting scope etc. Clothes items can change dramatically from one season and location to the next.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Good insight on dry bags and zip locks.
Thanks for suggesting gaiters and socks!

- - - Updated - - -

Just like others have said, if I was staying on the mountain, I would invest in a good sleeping bag, a good insulated air mattress and a decent tent. I wouldn't go cheap here. I wouldn't worry about a spotting scope personally, assuming your not trophy hunting. You need an orange vest and hat for first rifle, so I wouldn't worry about camo either. I would get some decent base and mid layers to wear. Those Meindels will work fine. A good pack, some game bags and a small cook kit and your ready to go. As an aside, where I hunt in Colorado doesn't have a water source on the mountain. We have to bring ours with us. Some areas have good water sources, some don't. Something to double check.

Ok I'm investing more in sleep system . If anyone wants to sell a good used pack let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

So I'm getting varying opinions on rain gear. If I dont get any or only get a rain jacket what do I do if it rain and it's cold?
Pitch tent and not hunt?

And gaiters are definitely on the list.

Last edited:
You could do without the saw and the deodorant. You don't need a saw to break down an elk, and deodorant will be useless.
Wet wipes can come in handy.

Agreed. I've never used a saw to break down any animal. I also don't carry soap or deodorant with me. I just accept the fact i'm gonna stink! lol. Doesn't hurt to have that stuff in the truck tho. I've found with good merino base layers you don't stink all that bad even if you've been out for a week or so. I'm not an overly sweaty guy tho lol.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
In my mind, if you’re not overly experienced in the backping realm, I would make a shelter,sleep system, insulating layers and rain gear the top priority. These are the things that will keep a lesser experienced person alive if things go south. Boots, pack, etc are basically “comfort” items (not trying to downplay their importance, but they aren’t going to keep you alive in a predicament).

Shelter: it’s not uncommon for me to have to ride out a storm for a day or two, so a little bit of space is nice. A ti stove in floorless can go a long ways if you’re rain gear or sleep system is lacking at all... on my late season hunts I’ll use the wood stove for all my cooking, and snow melting.

Sleep system: I’d suggest synthetic as it’s more forgiving when it comes to moisture. (If you get soaked, you can crawl straight in to a good synthetic bag ang get mostly dried out and stay warm over night.) For a synthetic bag, you should be able to find one that comes in under 3# easy enough. At least 15* rated.... I’m running a thermarest xtherm pad, and wouldn’t trade it. Lightweight and high r-value will ensure you get the most out of your bag.

Insulating layers: a good mid weight wind blocker of sorts, and a synthetic puffy (again synthetic is more forgiving when it comes to moisture)

Rain gear: like you mentioned, just as critical for wind in cold weather as it is for precip.

njdoxie

WKR
Is this a one-off hunt? An even if it’s something you plan on doing again, no telling if you’ll have the same mindset after the hunt. I’d be cautious about spending a lot, then again that’s how good stuff shows up in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk