Prioritizing gear purchases

sargent

WKR
I hunted early archery in CO for the first time this year and was in a similar situation. I wore some cheap Wal Mart polyester pants. I think they are made by Swiss Tech and cost around $17. They worked great and would be about right for early rifle with the addition of a merino base layer. I also used and liked the OR Crocodile gaiters. I used a Slumberjack Bounty 4500 pack that I picked up for $100 when they were switching to the Bounty 2.0. It might not be as nice as some of the packs you are looking at, but it got the job done for me carrying camp while hunting and packing out meat and antlers. The 2.0 goes for about $300. I'm not sure if they were on your list, but I would definitely take trekking poles (at least one.) It's hard to explain how much stability they add, especially packing heavy loads of meat downhill. For water, I used two one liter seltzer water bottles, a 5 liter collapsible water bottle I bought from amazon for $10, and aqua mira drops. This system is cheap, light, and simple. It worked great for me. If it gets really cold, you'll need to use the tablets so the drops don't freeze. This year's hunt was my second for elk, so I am no expert, but I will tell you what other folks on this site told me (They were right). Get what you think you need and go hunting. You'll soon figure out what works for you and what you need to change or upgrade. Have fun and good luck.

cnelk

WKR
I have a 0 degree Big Agnes Farwell bag [synthetic mummy] and a BA Insulated Air Core mattress.
The bag has the sleeve on the bottom to slip the mattress in.

I have found that if you are on the ground, the air mattress will suck body heat right out from you.
To alleviate that, I took a cheap blue foam pad, cut it to fit the mummy and that goes next to the ground, along with the mattress in the sleeve.

Problem solved. It also protects the mattress from any possible punctures.

Adam B

FNG
Thanks guys lots of great info here not my thread but I been adjusting my gear list off this one thread. This year was my 1st year elk hunting and learned alot of what was needed and what wasn't. We camped at truck and probably camp at truck again next year until we are more familiar with area we hunted. Only advice I can give is to listen to these guys here on this site. They helped me alot

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I like this thread a lot. Lots of good advice to how to simply get out there and get it done.
I'm in a similar boat, but I've got a decent bit of outdoors experience and lots of military gear already in my possession. My issue is figuring out what military stuff to bring, which I've used and know what I'll be suffering through, and what to upgrade to higher quality or lighter weight civillian stuff.
Sleeping bag, pack, and binos were my top three priorities based on what I own already. I spent so much time researching packs it was driving me crazy. Almost bought a Mystery Ranch during their Black Friday sale. Finally just decided to go with my Molle Ruck and make a decision on upgrading the pack next year. (Kifaru sure looks awesome, and maybe a realistic option after another year of hiding cash, lol)

I figure the Molle Ruck can't be the worst choice in the world.
1. I've used it a lot and know what to expect, I've just never used the high end packs so I don't know what I'm missing maybe.
2. Wilderness Pack Specialties Big Horn and the discontinued Adventure Outfitters Hard Core Hunt pack (mentioned/reccomended in Cam Hanes book) both use the Molle Ruck frame. At least I try to use those as proof I'm not stupid for going ahead and using it.

This thread helps put the binocular issue in perspective, I won't be buying anything super expensive any time soon, so probably something under $200. Leaves some money to upgrade the sleep system to something really good.

I'm surprised to see the strong recommendation for synthetic. Seems like Colorado is fairly dry in most places. The place I plan to hunt averages 1 inch precipitation for the month of October. Still an advantage to the synthetic? I'm looking at the Big Agnes Mystic UL 15, a down bag, which I can get a good deal on.

To the OP, I can vouch a contractor bag works great as a dry bag. I've submerged my Ruck many times with all my gear in a contractor bag inside the ruck, works well. Shouldn't develop holes over the course of the average 3-5 day hunt. I'll still have my sleep system and warm clothes in smaller dry bags though.

Stove you can probably get a lot cheaper. MSR Pocket Rocket is only $45, add a $8 aluminum pot, and you are good. Maybe slightly less efficient than a jetboil. I've used both and I feel the jetboil is a nice overall package, but overrated and over priced for what it is.

Look up Andrew Skurka. Lots of good recommendations from him, many are not expensive. For example he often sleeps on a RidgeRest Solite or Solar. It's light, can't puncture, and is cheap. That's what I'm bringing. I'm okay with the minor sacrifice of comfort though.
Also, he mentions Cascade Mountain Tech trekking poles as an excellent budget option, and you would have to spend a lot more to get much better. I think they are $45 for a pair on Amazon. At one time I considered not bringing trekking poles, but I keep reading good things about them, my shelter requires it, and I feel like it could make a heavy pack out safer.

Last edited:

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Is this a one-off hunt? An even if it’s something you plan on doing again, no telling if you’ll have the same mindset after the hunt. I’d be cautious about spending a lot, then again that’s how good stuff shows up in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To this point if you can find your gear used and spend a little time looking for it the higher end gear will retain better value then cheap gear if you do decide to sell it. For example Kifaru and Exo packs. These usually sell for 75% or better of their retail value if they are kept in good shape. If you can buy used and wait for good deals the initial expense will be a bit more but when you need to alter your setup lots of times you can get back what you have in it.

This was the first year I used trekking poles. I won't hunt without them again. I wrap trekking poles and lighters with tape instead of a stick. The black diamond flick lock poles are bomber tough and can be had pretty cheap at REI garage sales or on hiking/ skiing forums.

Ok your a first timer, never done this before. Running home scared after the first day, maybe. You have all the gear you need right now. Aim small, miss small. If you havent been in elk country before, i suggest starting off with day hunts from a nice base camp. Plenty of good hunting from base camps with legwork. To pack in with a camp and spend days out in the bush for a total rookie is a huge undertaking, you can get in a real pinch quickly. That said, good boots number 1, paratarp number 2, slick bag #3.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
a few updates...
i am looking at cheaper pack options for this year and will upgrade in the future. allows me to put more money towards sleep system and other more critical things. i can pick up a used badlands summit for $200 including rain fly. or i found a deal on a slumberjack bounty 2.0 for $190. thoughts on one or the other? i like that the slumberjack has ability to haul meat between pack and frame...

what's yalls opinions on rain flies for packs? are they practical? am i better using a dry bag or contractor bag within the pack?

i will go the steripen and aqua mere route for hydration based on yalls recommendation. how many nalgenes and bladders do yall recommend? there is not a ton of water where we will be.

depending on load we will likely ditch the spotter based on yalls recommendations.

i have a good cabelas wooltimate parka already. i know its heavy but could i use this in place of buying a cheaper puffy?

going with outdoor research crocodile gaiters based on recommendations

for sleep bag, i am looking at these 2... Big Agnes Farwell 0 degree and Big Agnes Encampment 15 degree . thoughts? i think a few of you recommended big agnes bags?

looking at therm-a-rest neoair trekker sleep pad

and based on feedback we are considering truck camping the first couple days to scout and get acclimated. then we will make the decision to push in and camp on the mountain if we feel up to it.

these are my changes currently. let me know what sucks and what rocks. this has been great feedback so far. i will post updated gear list soon

- - - Updated - - -

updated gear list...

Tag- $650
Boots- Cabelas Meindl uninsulated hunting/hiking boot. (own) -I will test these in the coming months to be sure i trust them.
Pack- Badlands Summit ($200 used includes fly)or Slumberjack bounty 2.0 ($190 used)
Pack Fly/Pack Liner/Dry Bag/Contractor Bag- $50 NEED ADVICE HERE
Game Bags- TAG BOMB bags (considering)- $70 or Black Ovis Elk bags $60
Battery Charger ZMI PowerPack 10K Smallest Lightest 10000mAh Battery Pack $22
Stove- small compact stove as backup- sharing jetboil with partner
Stove Fuel- butane canister- $20
Spork- long handle
Hydration – nalgene ($12) and steripen ($70) and aquamira (bladder?) NEED ADVICE HERE. do i need bladder? how big? how many? what is the refilling process?
Spotter- borrowing Leupold spot scope (free) - may or may not bring depending on load
Binos- Leupold 10X50 (own)
Ranger- Leupold 100 range finder (own)
Bino Harness- Alaskan Guide Kodiac Cub (own)
Lense care- wipes and cleaning pen (own)
Pillow- undecided
Sleep bag- Big Agnes Farwell 0 degree $140 GOOD TO GO?
Sleep Pad- therm-a-rest neoair trekker $55 GOOD TO GO?
Shelter- sharing buddy’s Seek stove tent or regular 2 man tent with partner depending on weather
Hammock- possible depending on weather (own)
Trek poles- Kelty Scree (considering)- $70
Dry bag- Outdoor Research 20L Dry bag $30
Gun- Rem 7mmRM, 160 gr Accubond, 10 rounds (own)
Blaze- vest, hat and beanie (own)
Contractor bags- (own)
Blades- pocket knife (own), 2 custom skinning knives (own), lightweight stone (own)
Saw- nope
550 chord- 50 foot reflective chord (own)
Seasoning- cooking fresh tenderloins
Fire- Bic lighter, flint and steel, matches, tender
Nav- map, compass, back up compass, watch, OnX Maps
Wind Checker
Headlamp- Black diamond Storm- $50, bringing a back up lamp of one I already own
Flashlight- surefire scout (own)
Batteries- spare AAAs for lamp
Chap stick
Deodorant- nope
Coolers- own
Carabiners- 3 for various things (own)
Zip ties- own
Hand warmers- depending on forecast, only if very cold

First Aid Bag- tourniquette, compressed guaze, super glue, Various Band Aids, Gorilla Tape, Luco Tape, Alcohol wipes, pain med, altitude meds, stomach meds, benedryl, Sleep meds (own all this)

Clothing
Base layer- black ovis underwear ($28), pants ($65), and zip hoodie ($79)
Pants- Outdoor Research Voodoo pants ($100)
Mid Layer Tops- various fleece and wool tops (own)
Vest- Cabelas Wooltimate Guide vest (own)
Rain Jacket- considering Outdoor Research Foray Jacket ($215) or Cabelas Space Rain Jacket ($90)
Rain Pants- considering Outdoor Research Foray Pants ($175) or Cabelas Space Rain Pants ($70)
Puffy- Cabelas Wooltimate parka (I own) or puffy on sale around $100
Boot Gaiters- Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters $80
Neck Gaiter- own
Beanie/Hat- own
Gloves- First Lite merino fingerless (own), need mittens suggestions?
Socks- Darn Tough Merino – since everyone sings their praises and/or first lite triad

Last edited:

slick

WKR
Just heading into work- can critique later, but if you plan on going Kifaru/SG/MR/Exo/Seek, etc I would recommend buying a frame, and just using a dry bag. I’d rather have $200 invested in that than the Badlands pack. Then next year you can buy a $150-$250 bag to put on the frame

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Just heading into work- can critique later, but if you plan on going Kifaru/SG/MR/Exo/Seek, etc I would recommend buying a frame, and just using a dry bag. I’d rather have $200 invested in that than the Badlands pack. Then next year you can buy a $150-$250 bag to put on the frame

hmm didn't think of that. not a bad idea

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
If you go Kifaru you could get a frame and then a cargo net to train with, and use the cargo net to hold the dry bag and have convenient spots to lash stuff to. Then next year get a nice bag as mentioned.

i am really kicking around this idea now...but just want to make sure it's logical. i'm still looking at $400+ for kifaru frame. is this money better spent than on the badlands or slumberjack? i know the quality is way better but are the other cheaper options THAT much worse?

where can i find a really big dry bag to attach to the frame? i see kifaru sells a 55L

ChrisAU

WKR
i am really kicking around this idea now...but just want to make sure it's logical. i'm still looking at $400+ for kifaru frame. is this money better spent than on the badlands or slumberjack? i know the quality is way better but are the other cheaper options THAT much worse?

where can i find a really big dry bag to attach to the frame? i see kifaru sells a 55L

I'd look around the classifieds here for a frame, its where I got mine. As for a dry bag, I have the one Kifaru sells, its a on Outdoor research one. If you are going to run it as a main bag make sure you get one from a durable line, not an ultralight line. You'll want it to be able to hold up to being rolled around on the ground, set down a lot, used as a rifle rest, etc.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
If you are patient you can find a Kifaru for $250-300 maybe a little cheaper for an Exo in the classifieds. You have plenty of time keep scouring the classifieds you can save 30-50% on just about everything by going used.

cnelk

WKR
Here in 2-3 weeks, the Rokslide classifieds are going to explode with gear.

Selling stuff to pay off Xmas, or selling stuff because they got new stuff for Xmas. :)

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm surprised to see the strong recommendation for synthetic. Seems like Colorado is fairly dry in most places. The place I plan to hunt averages 1 inch precipitation for the month of October. Still an advantage to the synthetic? I'm looking at the Big Agnes Mystic UL 15, a down bag, which I can get a good deal on.

Hey man, not sure if anyone responded to this part of your post, but I'll give you my experience. It doesn't rain heavy in CO, but it rained almost every single day I've hunted in CO for about 20 minutes. It did this towards the end of the day usually as we were walking back to camp. This meant that all of my clothes were damp when we got back to camp. With a synthetic bag you can just climb in and by morning you will be nice and dry. If you do that with a down bag you will seriously degrade the quality of the insulation and could run into problems. You can always start a fire when you get to camp to help you dry out, but trust me, after hunting all day when you get back to camp all you want to do is eat some food and go to sleep. You can do that with confidence with synthetic.

Btaylor

WKR
^^^^^ This guy obviously didnt archery hunt Colorado in 2013 :) ^^^^^^

Opening day of archery this season it started raining on us about noon. Didnt completely stop until well after 3 am. Multiple rounds of small hail and lots of lightening. Sat under my 9x9 tarp from noon til slam dark and then climbed in the hammock. It was a rough first day for our first ever backpack hunt.

Sturgeon

WKR
I used the Black Ovis bags this year and thought they were great. They show up on Current Deals - Camofire Discount Hunting Gear, Camo and Clothing pretty regularly for cheaper. Definitely get the XL for elk if leaving bone in. I've also had good luck with these headlamps https://www.amazon.com/Coast-FL72-Focusing-Lumen-Pack/dp/B077QNTZXF/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1545856122&sr=1-4&keywords=coast%2Bheadlamp&th=1

I started with a Slumberjack bounty that I used 1 year for antelope hunting. I upgraded to an EXO this year it performed way better and I was really glad I had it when we shot cows on back to back days this year.

I picked up the Cascade Mountain Carbon Poles too and really liked them.

Pants I've worn a pair of First Lite Guide pants a lot, but like the fit of my Prana Zions much better and they are about half the price. I also have a pair of the Wrangler Outdoor Flex pants and they are hard to beat at $22.

Also for an insulation layer there are hooded down Eddie Bauer jackets at Costco for $40.

- - - Updated - - -

sargent

WKR

As mentioned in my previous post, I am fairly new to this myself, but I have been happy with my slumberjack pack. I've had the pack for three hunting seasons. So far I've carried out 1 deboned elk front quarter, 2 whole deboned whitetail does at the same time (heaviest load), 1 deboned elk front and 1 deboned back quarter at the same time, a small 5x5 elk head along with a bag of trim meat and my camp, and two whitetails (seperately) quartered with the hide on. I've also done a fair amount of hiking/backpacking and training hikes weighted with jugs of water. The pack is still going strong. I have no experience with high end packs, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm planning on keeping this pack and upgrading other gear first. As far as water goes, I use aqua mira only -- no steripen. I've used it for 4 years in PA, Idaho, and CO without ever getting sick. Amazon sells some cheap collapsible water storage devices and I prefer 1 liter seltzer water bottles to nalgenes because they are cheaper and much lighter. To fill your bladder just fill a liter bottle, dump it in until the bladder is full, then mix and add the correct amount of aqua mira. Two one liter bottles and a five liter bladder lasted me about two days in late August when daytime temps were in the low to mid 70s. I've been using the joy walker pack cover for three years. You can get it on amazon for about $15. It keeps my pack dry and I've smashed through some pretty thick stuff without ripping it to shreds. I use Helly Hansen Impertech rain gear. It's kind of heavy and does not breath at all, but it is fairly inexpensive and 100% wind and waterproof. Hopefully this info helps.