Prioritizing gear purchases

Apollo117

WKR
People that are suggesting the smart water bottles, can he use his steripen with it? I'm thinking the top would be too narrow.
No. You're correct. The Steripen is too large for the Smart water bottles.

I used Aquamira with my Smart water bottles. I forgot OP has the Steripen.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Regarding isobutane stoves at altitude. If you warm up the canister before use it will work better. When you get back to camp, put the canister in an inside jacket pocket. Do your camp chores and then use the warm canister to cook.

so it's the temp that affects it? i was thinking the altitude... 11,000+

- - - Updated - - -

I have a couple of 48oz nalgene bottles... they stay at the trailhead usually. SmartWater or AquaHydrate bottles are way lighter and easier to handle and fit in pack pockets. I don't even carry a bladder anymore since using them. Way easier to deal with. If they get funky, throw it away and get a new one. i will at least bring the 32oz nalgene for use with the steripen. i may bring some smart water bottles and use aquamira drops instead of bladder. something about 3L of water in a bladder in my pack with all my gear makes me uneasy

No way I would pack that Wooltimate gear around. Way too heavy to carry, a rain shell and puffy is far more versatile. i am working this into the budget

I would carry a pocket rocket or similar stove as a backup. If you guys split a jetboil and it craps out you could be scrambling for a way to boil water. May be too dry to build an open fire, never can tell. You can leave it in the truck if need be. Couple of ounces. it's on my list if budget allows

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thanks for the pointers

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my advise, bring way more fitness than you think you need and way less gut around your middle.

Acclimate a couple of days at a little lower altitude before you try and run up that mountain.

i started training last summer and i am gradually incorporating long heavy rucks with my pack. just trying to get the other 2 guys in our group to do the same...

sneaky

"DADDY"
You're only going to be as successful as your weakest link allows. One person not pulling their share will drag the whole group down. Better stay on them.
so it's the temp that affects it? i was thinking the altitude... 11,000+

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the pointers

- - - Updated - - -

i started training last summer and i am gradually incorporating long heavy rucks with my pack. just trying to get the other 2 guys in our group to do the same...

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
You're only going to be as successful as your weakest link allows. One person not pulling their share will drag the whole group down. Better stay on them.

i'm really only worried about one of them. and he knows he may be left at the truck if we go in deep lol

twall13

WKR
i am planning a weekend trip through some less serious mountains early spring to workout my lungs and test run all my gear. we are bringing an Inreach on the hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

i have acquired alot of my gear through new years sales. i will update my gear list and post it. maybe this will continue to help others get started in the future...

- - - Updated - - -

1/07/19 UPDATE

Tag- $650
Boots- Cabelas Meindl uninsulated hunting/hiking boot. (own) -I will test these in the coming months to be sure i trust them.
Pack- Slumberjack bounty 2.0 (bought used $180)
Pack Fly/Pack Liner/Dry Bag/Contractor Bag- using a 50L dry bag someone is lending me and contractor bag/ziplocks to keep gear dry in my pack. (FREE)
Game Bags- Black Ovis Elk bags $50 (bought on Camo Fire
Battery Charger- waiting to buy, budgeted $25
Stove- sharing jetboil with partner - bringing spare aluminum pot for boiling water over a fire if neededd
Stove Fuel- butane canister- $10
Spoon- Sea to Summit long handle spoon($5)
Hydration 32oz nalgene ($10), 48oz nalgene ($11), steripen quantum ($47) and aquamira ($15) and 3L Platypus baldder ($31)
Spotter- borrowing Leupold spot scope (free)
Binos- Leupold 10X50 (own)
Ranger- Leupold 1000 range finder (own)
Bino Harness- Alaskan Guide Kodiac Cub (own)
Lense care- wipes and cleaning pen (own)
Pillow- Klymit glassing pad/pillow ($10) bought on camofire
Sleep bag- Outdoor Vitals Atlas 0* bag $160
Sleep Pad- Nemo Tensor Field $106
Shelter- sharing buddy’s Seek stove tent or regular 2 man tent depending on weather
Hammock- possible depending on weather (own)
Trek poles- Kelty Scree $70
Gun- Rem 7mmRM, 160 gr Accubond, 10 rounds (own)
Blaze- vest, hat and beanie (own)
Contractor bags- (own)
Blades- pocket knife (own), 2 custom skinning knives (own), lightweight stone (own)
Saw- nope
550 chord- 50 foot reflective chord (own)
Seasoning- cooking fresh tenderloins
Fire- Bic lighter, flint and steel, matches, tender (own)
Nav- forest service map ($20), Suunto compass ($18), watch, OnX Maps
Wind Checker
Headlamp- Black Diamond Spot $30, bringing a back up lamp of one I already own
Flashlight- surefire scout (own)
Batteries- spare AAAs for lamp, spare AAs for steripen (may not)
Chap stick
Deodorant- nope
Coolers- own
Carabiners- 2 for various things (own)
Zip ties- own
Hand warmers- depending on forecast, only if very cold

First Aid Bag- tourniquette, compressed guaze, super glue, Various Band Aids, Tenacious Tape, Luco Tape, Alcohol wipes, pain med, altitude meds, stomach meds, benedryl, Sleep meds (own all this), emergency blanket $5

Clothing
Base layer- black ovis underwear ($28), pants ($65), and zip hoodie ($79)
Pants Wrangler Outdoor Cargo Pant ($25) and Wrangler Outdoor Fleece Lined Pants ($26)
Mid Layer Tops- various fleece and wool tops (own)
Vest- Cabelas Wooltimate Guide vest (own)
Rain Jacket- Slumberjack jacket ($46) closeout sale
Rain Pants- Slumberjack pants ($40) closeout sale
Puffy- Cabelas Wooltimate parka (I own) or puffy on sale around $100
Boot Gaiters- Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters $80
Neck Gaiter- own
Beanie/Hat- own
Gloves- First Lite merino glove liners (own), need mittens suggestions?
Socks- Gore Socks ($25) or First lite Triad ($28) or mid weight ($25)

Am I reading this correctly, you are bringing two headlamps and a flashlight? I take two light sources in the backcountry, but the second (backup) is a Petzl E+lite that weighs less than an ounce with the battery included. Three would be overkill though you can leave the third in the truck as an additional backup.

This is a pretty good thread and you've made a lot of progress on your list. My brother has a Slumberjack pack and though it's not as nice as my Kifaru frame I'm glad you chose it over the Badlands pack. He's hauled out two elk with his over the last couple of years and it's held up well and can handle the weight. I've heard too many horror stories of badlands packs falling apart with heavy loads.

A couple of other comments. If you get a good puffy, I don't think you'll need the vest. A base layer, mid layer, puffy, and rain gear should have you covered for that time of year. I wouldn't bring a vest unless it was really light and you get cold easily. I have some Cabela's Wooltimate and actually really like the stuff but there is no way it's going on a backpack hunt. Also, you don't need two pair of pants. Take an extra to leave at the truck if it makes you feel more comfortable but you only need one pair of pants on a backpack hunt. I haven't used the wrangler cargo pants you posted but they are similar to the Costco UB tech ones I own and they will work for this hunt. I prefer the fit on Prana Stretch Zions or First Lite Corrugate Guide pants but that's a preference not a need and the wrangler's should do great at a very reasonable price point.

Best of luck.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
Good point on the lights. I just carry the scout daily so I just figured it in. Probably unnecessary for the hunt.

Good to hear on the pack. I was bummed to not get a kifaru but i know i wont regret the money going towards sleep stuff.

I'm gonna get a puffy if I dont have to get new boots. I agree with you as far as weight. And I only plan to bring one pair of pants depending on weather. Btw the wrangler outdoor pants are great. I wore them today whitetail hunting and really liked them. Repelled light rain. Good pocket layout. So comfortable. I'm glad I chose them.

Thanks for the advice

sneaky

"DADDY"
Good point on the lights. I just carry the scout daily so I just figured it in. Probably unnecessary for the hunt.

Good to hear on the pack. I was bummed to not get a kifaru but i know i wont regret the money going towards sleep stuff.

I'm gonna get a puffy if I dont have to get new boots. I agree with you as far as weight. And I only plan to bring one pair of pants depending on weather. Btw the wrangler outdoor pants are great. I wore them today whitetail hunting and really liked them. Repelled light rain. Good pocket layout. So comfortable. I'm glad I chose them.

Thanks for the advice
Whether you get new boots or not, a puffy is a must have.

bozeman

WKR
If you have a hardshell, a less expensive puffy will work. Got mine from Cabelas for $50, warm and didn't break the bank.......

Usi05

WKR
Thsnks for everyone’s input. Been following along since I will be elk hunting out west in some state this year.

Was able to save and bought a pair of outdoor wranglers and Swiss pants from Walmart. Have tested outside with my different whitetail base layers and they seem to work well. Temp has been 20 with a slight wind here in Michigan where I have been testing.

This thread has been a great help for someone going out this fall abd trying to budget until they get a feel for it!

Appreciate you all!

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Having hunted 1st Rifle in Colorado the last 2 years, the temps have been from single digits to the 60's, all in 7 days (5 days hunting) and a good bit of snow. I have never hunted with my camp on my back, but understand that weight is the enemy and above 40 lbs. your can get yourself in trouble in a hurry. Cut and slash where you can to reduce the weight your carrying. Carrying 30-40 lbs. at sea level and at 11,000 feet is widely different. You'll need puffy pants & jacket for cold weather with a real possibility of snow at the elevation noted. Get good pants, gators(waterproof), & coat that are water resistant with a lightweight (cheap) rain suit if caught in prolonged moisture conditions. Merino wool base layers, darn tuff socks and a very good insulated mattress pad & sleeping bag. Down is lighter but is useless if it gets wet unless the down has been treated. Down puffys is extremely good even of cheaper quality if kept dry inside outer garmets. Also, use the puffys in a stuff sack as pillow. I think that a tarp style tent is all that is needed as there are no insects to speak of, and a sheet of house wrap would work as a ground cloth underneath the mattress pad & sleeping bag. Also does well for keeping blood (I use a linen trash bag for construction) off the backpack if successful. The boots mentioned are very good if they are the ones with a rubber rand and 400 insulation. I, agree that if you plan on sleeping 2 to a tent, then it needs to be a 3 person tent/tarp. You only need the number of bullets that fill your gun twice, if more is needed stay home and practice more. Also, don't hike with one in the chamber. I think you spend money on a good backpack because your life will depend on it to get you and the stuff you need to survive on and off the MTn. as well as get an elk out of the woods without injuring yourself. I personally like a lot of KUIU products for outerwear and their packs are nice too. Exped or Big Agnes for the sleeping pad and a sleeping bag should be one w/ treated down IMO. Mummy style is warmer but more claustrophobic. That's the big stuff, but there's a lot of little stuff needed that others have covered.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
PS, II almost for got, save yourself some money and get some cheap aluminum trekking poles from Amazon $35 and work great until you fall on one. :)

Usi05

WKR
No. You're correct. The Steripen is too large for the Smart water bottles.

I used Aquamira with my Smart water bottles. I forgot OP has the Steripen.

I don’t have a steripen but the newer 25.4 oz monster hydro bottles are pretty good and have a cap size similar to Gatorade. Not sure if it would work on that since I’m not familiar but I reuse these bottles for whitetail hunting.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
so i did a little testing this weekend while rabbit/squirrel/duck hunting...:)

i camped in my hammock one night. temps were in the 30s and wind was 10-20 mph. I used my nemo tensor insulated sleeping pad and cheap columbia 30* bag (waiting on my new bag to ship). i wore synthetic base layer bottoms, hvy wool socks, synthetic base top, polartec fleece and wool vest and a fleece beanie. i stayed way too warm and ended up sweaty. took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to make the system work and i slept really well despite the wind blowing all night. when my new bag arrives i will pick a much colder night and test further.

i tested my water purification/filtration system using only aquamira drops. collected water from several sources...pond, creek, ditch beside road. i used a synthetic neck gaiter/buff, doubled over, to filter water going into nalgene. then just added aquamira drops and waited 30 minutes. the taste and slight discoloration weren't bad at all. it might bother others though...

i'm considering returning my steripen and just buying a lifestraw to use as a backup system. would this be a bad idea? i could put the $ from the steripen towards a puffy or boots if i need them.

I would say a top of the line backpack is your number one - one that will haul gear AND has a meat shelf when the time comes.

i wouldn't bring backup water purification.

smart water bottles lightest option with purification drops.

contractor bag and some freezer ziplocks.

stove, if you want, brs 3000t amazon

no flashlight, just headlamps

2 knives should be more than enough

no carabiners

I'll add to this, you are carrying this stuff on your back up hills. you want to be as minimalist as possible. ounces are pounds. a little weight here and there turns to a couple pounds quick.

*zap*

WKR
[QUOTE="Luziana Feller, post: 1094492, member:
i started training last summer and i am gradually incorporating long heavy rucks with my pack. just trying to get the other 2 guys in our group to do the same...[/QUOTE]

What is long and what is heavy? Just curious, thanks.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
[QUOTE="Luziana Feller, post: 1094492, member:

What is long and what is heavy? Just curious, thanks.[/QUOTE]

right now 40 lbs for 8 to 10 miles. i want to work up to 80 pounds for 10+ miles.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i wouldn't bring backup water purification.

smart water bottles lightest option with purification drops. funny you recommend this. we were just talking about this subject. i think we will each carry 1 filtration/purification method. ...i'll carry drops, partner 1 carries gravity, partner 2 carries steripen.

contractor bag and some freezer ziplocks.

stove, if you want, brs 3000t amazon

no flashlight, just headlamps

2 knives should be more than enough

no carabiners

I'll add to this, you are carrying this stuff on your back up hills. you want to be as minimalist as possible. ounces are pounds. a little weight here and there turns to a couple pounds quick.
thanks for the advice

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
You seem like you’re getting it all worked out, but a heads up Costco normally has trekking poles once a year in store for $29 . They are actually pretty nice carbon ones .